Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Losing lures and money to big fish  (Read 9405 times)

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: Losing lures and money to big fish
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »

Me reel is a Shimano Soltice (I believe 2500 FLi). Put on 6 pnd untra green and put a 3 foot piece of 10-12 pnd ultragreen or flouro on the end. This will deal with the coho rolls and teeth. Lost very little gear to fish this year, and I don't stress them out, most give me a west coast shower right after I get the spoon out.

I think most of this has to do with my rod though. 8 Ft Shimano Corte light power, medium fast action. The bend in the rod makes it so that the fish hardly ever even take line. I've landed a 15 pnd spring on it already in less than 5 mins. As said they don't really peel much line because the rod absorbs so much shock. Solstice is like $40 bucks and rated for the salt.

Cheers,
Dan
Would you use this set up to target late season Coho when the river is stacked with Chum?

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 08:26:43 PM »

Would this set up solve the original posters problems ???

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 08:54:16 PM »

Would this set up solve the original posters problems ???

Yes, hooked and landed many chum, even some snagged with this already without much problem.
The stronger leaders stops teeth from cutting and like I said rod absorbs a lot of shock, easier to tire and land IMO.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 09:00:06 PM »

Any tips on a line that can handle a bit more stress, not mess my rod up, but still handle like 12 lb.

I have been using P Line CXX mono this season for both pink and coho spinning and found them to be competitive in terms of price-performance. Both my spinning reels holds about 150 yrds of 10 lb (0.35mm dia so actual test about 13~14lbs) test and landed many pinks and cohos using this line without a single break off. I buy the 600yd spool and it will load my spinning reel four times saving me lots of money. I hooked a good sized fresh run spring while fishing for pinks this season and it beached itself after stripping more than 100 yards of line from the reel in a blistering run down river. ;D This line can handle chums with no problem.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:09:26 PM by bigblue »

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »

Yes, hooked and landed many chum, even some snagged with this already without much problem.
The stronger leaders stops teeth from cutting and like I said rod absorbs a lot of shock, easier to tire and land IMO.
I appreciate that you are a very good rod but I find it hard to believe that the original posters problems would be solved by going down to 6lb main and 10- 12lb leader.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 10:06:03 PM »

I appreciate that you are a very good rod but I find it hard to believe that the original posters problems would be solved by going down to 6lb main and 10- 12lb leader.

True enough.
Only reason I post this is because this rod has landed up to 25 pnd springs, 16 pnd coho and 16+ chum (ocean chrome) all in under 5 mins on 6 pnd test.
I honestly think fighting fish has to do a lot with the rod. I find it easier to fight fish on a fly rod just because the rod absorbs more and my landing % is higher.

My theory is based on the rod, not the line weight.
If I was using a medium or heavy action rod I would be up to 10-12 pound main and 15 leader most likely.
I also find lighter line (6 pnd) bombs casts way farther on the beach.

Just for future reference (from all the old timers I met this yr, and from this yrs experience). Longer and flimsier rod = better casting/hookups/landing ratios.

Cheers,
Dan

mzmann

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 10:17:09 PM »

True enough.
Only reason I post this is because this rod has landed up to 25 pnd springs, 16 pnd coho and 16+ chum (ocean chrome) all in under 5 mins on 6 pnd test.
I honestly think fighting fish has to do a lot with the rod. I find it easier to fight fish on a fly rod just because the rod absorbs more and my landing % is higher.

My theory is based on the rod, not the line weight.
If I was using a medium or heavy action rod I would be up to 10-12 pound main and 15 leader most likely.
I also find lighter line (6 pnd) bombs casts way farther on the beach.

Just for future reference (from all the old timers I met this yr, and from this yrs experience). Longer and flimsier rod = better casting/hookups/landing ratios.

Cheers,
Dan

Lol...hmmm....up above /earlier you said that it was 15lb spring landed with the rod and now its 25lb spring(s) plural even, lmao..........no doubt a true fisherman!  ;) :D ;D :P
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »

Lol...hmmm....up above /earlier you said that it was 15lb spring landed with the rod and now its 25lb spring(s) plural even, lmao..........no doubt a true fisherman!  ;) :D ;D :P

Lol typo... indeed 25... landed one, lost the other on one last run after it hit the beach due to trees... Ill change the other post.

JPW

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 10:50:55 AM »

You don't have to horse the fish in like some bass bubba on WFN

Use 12lb minimum line and get them winched in quick.

Umm...Anyway. Let me at least say that I agree that 8lb flouro is not the ideal chum setup. It's what I use for Coho in the morning and have no problems with when I switch to chum in the afternoon. My only points to the OP were to not put maxima on a spinning reel and that it doesnt really matter what i use, other than it is already lower test than what is breaking in their case, so maybe before using the thickest test you can put on the rod it's worth considering that there might be some other causes for the broken leader.  Of course ymmv.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 11:27:14 AM »

Cheers,
Dan

OMG I've been fishing...for a long time...and I've never put this together...

I never really knew why I liked putting my spinning reel on my flyrod for salmon but it seemed to work out well.

On my 9 1/2 foot - 6 weight flyrod with spinning reel I can land almost almost anything on 8# line.

On my 6 foot spinning rod with same reel and line I have problems with larger fish or a fish that is very acrobatic.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »

Also it's a waste of money fishing fluro for Chum period they don't care!!!

I started fishing fluro for chums this past year. Has nothing to do with being stealth and everything to do with abraision resistance. I can catch 20 chums on one leader before it requires replacing. That is something that isn't possible with mono. For me not having to re tie is worth extra expense incurred on an 18" piece of fluro.
Actions speak louder than words.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »

Sterling am interested in trying that out, if I like 15 Ultragreen for Chum what brand and test fluro would you recommend?

wizard

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »

if you're fishing on any chum or salmon bearing rivers in the fall, expect to hook into some chums, targeting them or not.  everyone knows generally chum will pull and pull and pull, until they, you and your rod and gear, including your line are worn out. 
I don't know why anyone would go lighter then 10 or 12 lb test fishing for salmon, especially near rapids at that!
I think it's pretty obvious you need to beef up your whole set up if you want to fish where you were fishing and not expect to lose alot of line and gear to chums.
12 lb test for leader should be fine, however, if there's lots of chums around, and unless you're short floating or using a jig, fouling them is innevidible. in this case might as well save yourself alot of time and strain on your gear (and the fish) and snap the thing off.

Bottom line is, if you're fishing anywher near chums expect to hook into 'em and expect to lose some gear...this talk of 6 or 8 lb test while chum fishing imo is puzzling.  I'm sure lots of people have landed chums on light gear, but original poster I beleive is looking for advice on which lb lines he should be using when knowing he's likely to encounter chums...

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 06:57:54 PM »

Sterling am interested in trying that out, if I like 15 Ultragreen for Chum what brand and test fluro would you recommend?

I use 15lb blue label Seagar. With this setup and my 3113 I can land many chums in less than a minute.

One thing that needs to be addressed from the original post is are the fish being fair hooked? It may seem like a bit of an slag, but with the way chums can stack up at times it is hard not to foul hook the odd fish regardless of your intentions. I don't care what setup you have, you will have issues landing foul hooked chum.
Actions speak louder than words.

purple monster

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 07:09:33 PM »

you will have issues with landing any foul hooked fishes.