Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breaking News, Cohen - Fish Farms  (Read 9363 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Breaking News, Cohen - Fish Farms
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 08:16:24 AM »

Wow, sounds like any hatchery coho, chinook, pink, chum, sockeye, rainbow/steelhead or char reared in any BC, Washington, Oregon or California salmonid hatchery or “ranched” in Alaska.
My understanding of the term franken fish is some journalist's spin on genetically modified fish IE, growing faster, near disease free, basically becoming more domesticated but requiring less nutrients to reach marketable size.  Makes sense to me as I suspect it does to any animal or plant farmers.
But I'm still not sure if this is that what you mean?

Well coho are only in the hatchery for a year, chum only for a few months and pinks are released pretty much as soon as they hatch.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 07:39:05 PM »

When bird flu showed up the poultry farms were closed tight and the birds culled immediately.   Why is the same not happening with the fish farms?

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »

When bird flu showed up the poultry farms were closed tight and the birds culled immediately.   Why is the same not happening with the fish farms?

Because ISA has not been found on salmon farms and it has not been confirmed found in the wild fish either but if it is, do you really want to exterminate all the wild fish?

Really?
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »

and also the general public will not give two schitz unless it puts their health at risk.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 02:22:41 PM »

Because ISA has not been found on salmon farms and it has not been confirmed found in the wild fish either but if it is, do you really want to exterminate all the wild fish?

Really?

You guys must be in permanent spin mode.

You turned his question about farm-raised chickens into a threat of killing all wild salmon.
He was talking about culling farmed fish - the source of the problem, same as with the chickens.

Funny how you guys were very quiet when the news of ISA first broke.
Then, when there was a slilver of doubt, you started pumping the junk out again.

Too bad you bet the farm on the wrong horse.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »

Why would you cull farmed fish when they have repeatedly tested negative for ISAV? ???
So far no fish have been confirmed to carry ISAV, although false negatives were reported by Ms. Morton. Bet she wishes she could replay that, along with several other faux pas.

Try to keep up Easywater.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »

Why would you cull farmed fish when they have repeatedly tested negative for ISAV? ???
So far no fish have been confirmed to carry ISAV, although false negatives were reported by Ms. Morton. Bet she wishes she could replay that, along with several other faux pas.

Try to keep up Easywater.

I wasn't saying that farmed fish should be culled, I was commenting on aquapaloosa's twisting of VAGAbond farmed salmon/farmed chickens comparison.

It still remains to be seen if ISA is present in Pacific salmon - testing was not conclusive.
Haven't the fish farms refused to release their own ISA testing data?

Dave, do you work for DFO?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:36:37 PM by Easywater »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 04:53:42 PM »

I wasn't saying that farmed fish should be culled, I was commenting on aquapaloosa's twisting of VAGAbond farmed salmon/farmed chickens comparison.

It still remains to be seen if ISA is present in Pacific salmon - testing was not conclusive.
Haven't the fish farms refused to release their own ISA testing data?

Dave, do you work for DFO?

I'm retired from DFO and no, I do not have money invested in salmon farms.  And I should have said false positives, sorry ...  bottom line is the present data suggests there is no reason to cull any fish from anywhere.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »

You guys must be in permanent spin mode.

You turned his question about farm-raised chickens into a threat of killing all wild salmon.
He was talking about culling farmed fish - the source of the problem, same as with the chickens.

Funny how you guys were very quiet when the news of ISA first broke.
Then, when there was a slilver of doubt, you started pumping the junk out again.

Too bad you bet the farm on the wrong horse.
As well they did not read this.

http://salmonwarriors.blogspot.com/2011/11/salmongate.html

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »

As well they did not read this.

http://salmonwarriors.blogspot.com/2011/11/salmongate.html
Actually Chris I did read it, about a week ago; another poster elsewhere called it Ivan's damage control.
It's old news my friend

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »

Actually Chris I did read it, about a week ago; another poster elsewhere called it Ivan's damage control.
It's old news my friend

From the guy who no like hatchery fish, but do like fish farm. Really buddy this is not making any sense. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 09:32:37 PM »

Just because Dave says there is no data to back up Morton's headline grabbing doesn't mean he is pro fish farms. Also there is nothing strange about being against hatchery steelhead and ambivalent about fish farms either.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »

" people experience less discomfort even when feeling ambivalent" ::)

Also known as fence posting (or sitting). Like never moving from one spot on the river. ;D

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 09:57:55 PM »

Some people like to reserve judgment on issues until they have enough evidence to sway them either way instead of jumping on the next available bandwagon  :)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 09:59:19 PM »

From the guy who no like hatchery fish, but do like fish farm. Really buddy this is not making any sense. :-\
Keep thinking about it troutbreath :)
 I’m an advocate for wild salmonids but understand the necessity of hatcheries.  Hell, I received a nice award for my contribution to the enhancement (read hatchery component) of Cultus Lake sockeye.
I catch, kill and eat hatchery steelhead, coho and chinooks in the C-V.  But not all of us have the opportunity we readers do – that is, to catch our own.
Millions of people like to eat salmon and sadly, there just is not enough wild fish to supply the world wide demand, although China, North Korea, Japan and Alaska are trying with their product called “wild caught ranched salmon”.  Do a Google search and decide for yourself how wild these fish are.  I think BC and its economy deserves a piece of this salmon pie.
 I believe BC salmon farms, properly managed and regulated, can relieve the commercial, environmental, and climate change challenged  pressure on wild stocks and perhaps be their saviour; I also firmly believe salmon farms and wild fish can coexist together.

For so many reasons BC is in an enviable position to become a worldwide leader in salmon aquaculture, research especially; what a shame it would be to lose this opportunity because a few people don't or simply won't understand this.

Don't come back with crap about other countries (Chile, Norway) losing their wild stocks to salmon aquaculture; show me some defensible data that BC has lost significant numbers of wild fish to salmon farms.