Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shame on you DFO  (Read 5138 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Shame on you DFO
« on: November 02, 2011, 05:21:19 PM »

I have been advocating boycotting farmed fish since day one.  Spending most of the week researching the ASV, and some of the history of salmon farms  and the BC Govt, I am now steaming.  I know that my response will draw mixed emotions, (some good, some bad), but being a non-Canadian citizen, it's really the only thing I can do in, addition to further boycotting farmed fish, that may have some impact.  I am cancelling all future fishing plans in BC.  This will include organizing guided trips and recommending to my US friends to not fish BC waters.  Please take some time to learn about how your govt is in bed with these farmers, and the potentially devastating effects to the Pacific salmon stocks. 

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Shame on you DFO
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 05:35:08 PM »

Why don't you share some of your research. I'm also interested in why you would cancel your BC fishing plans.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

StillAqua

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 05:37:38 PM »

Most of the farmed salmon is consumed by the USA so if you guys stop buying and eating it, the market will dry up and farming won't be viable.  ;)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 05:44:03 PM »

why are you cancelling your fishing plans?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »

Even though it's a small amount of money my friends and I spend each year (+/- $ 2,000), others are doing the same, (the idea did not originate from me).  The total financial impact to the economy might be enough to turn some heads and put some pressure on the BC govt to finally ban offshore farming.  Yes, US is the primary consumer of farmed salmon, like we are for almost all natural resources.  Given the choice, however, I believe shoppers would choose wild salmon.   There is a ton of stuff on google if you look. 

azafai

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »

looks like you are boycotting your own business too.

anyways, some more details are very much appreciated.  

regardless if Canadian or not you are at least a regarded member of this forum and the angler circles in BC.

thanks.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 06:00:35 PM »

I can't help but agree with you Bentrod. There is nothing wrong with your comment about us learning about the unholy mess fish farmers and their bucks can do to persuade low life politicians from allowing this disaster from happening.

No difference from us commenting on things happening down there that we don't like. I don't make as many trips to the states because of the passport issue. Or some other items of concern.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:21:27 PM »

I understand your issues TB.  I always hate going back into the US.  Our Boarder isn't as nearly as friendly as yours. 

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »

looks like you are boycotting your own business too.

anyways, some more details are very much appreciated.  

regardless if Canadian or not you are at least a regarded member of this forum and the angler circles in BC.

thanks.

Different bentrod....

Actions speak louder than words.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 09:34:05 PM »

Yes, different.  My business is named Wisenluhr.  I've been around this page for a while, but was unaware of the bentrod guide service when I chose the name.  I'll change it soon to avoid confusion. 

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 08:39:10 PM »

Even though it's a small amount of money my friends and I spend each year (+/- $ 2,000), others are doing the same, (the idea did not originate from me).  The total financial impact to the economy might be enough to turn some heads and put some pressure on the BC govt to finally ban offshore farming.  Yes, US is the primary consumer of farmed salmon, like we are for almost all natural resources.  Given the choice, however, I believe shoppers would choose wild salmon.   There is a ton of stuff on google if you look. 

Hopefully more Americans will stop fishing in BC and overcrowding our rivers. Last time I checked I dont think revenue generated from sport fishing, especially from Americans will "turn some heads and put pressure on BC govt to finally ban offshore farming." But I agree that wild salmon > farmed.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 08:50:04 PM »

Hopefully more Americans will stop fishing in BC and overcrowding our rivers. Last time I checked I dont think revenue generated from sport fishing, especially from Americans will "turn some heads and put pressure on BC govt to finally ban offshore farming." But I agree that wild salmon > farmed.

That's probably not something you want to be posting on a forum in light of the tires being slashed on American vehicles recently.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »

That's probably not something you want to be posting on a forum in light of the tires being slashed on American vehicles recently.

Well the low lives that did the slashing will get what they deserve one day, still doesn't hide the fact that it wouldn't hurt if we had less people fishing our rivers. And concern for American sport fishermen not coming back to Canada is probably very low on the agenda.

It's funny though that some people from the US think that foreign fishing revenue for BC would actually create enough "financial impact" to our economy to turn heads...Do Americans really think we live in igloos and put maple syrup on everything? Last time I checked Vancouver is one of the top 5 most livable cities in the world.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:21:51 PM by Ed »

purple monster

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 07:43:04 PM »

anything that anyone does to reject or disapprove of the farming in wild fish territory is a gain.
Keep them on the ground.  They want loose any money, its just money they have not paid up yet, for the right way to proceed.