Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are the best waders to buy for a economically minded individual?  (Read 9801 times)

bcguy

Re: What are the best waders to buy for a economically minded individual?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 03:47:43 PM »

Get neoprene, if you what a good durable wader for a low price,
If you want breathables the best bang for your buck would have to be the simms freestones. There a tough wader, fairly priced, and made by a great company.

Yup, spent alot of time looking at waders this year, comparing value, fit, quality, and price, unded up with a pair of Simms Freestone, and love them, great fit, but we'll see how they stand up over time, you can never go wrong with Simms or Bare. Probably would have gone with the Simms Headwaters, if I hadnt wanted new boots as well, Headwaters gets you Gortex, IMHO, a vastly superior and proven product.
But economically minded is relative to the individual, to me, I couldnt find a good quality breathable wader locally for under $200.00.
You can get them for under $200.00, but fit and quality are somewhat questionable under $200.00, my .02
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »

Bought a pair yesterday for $70 at C.Tire, no name brand, repair kit included what could be a bad sign. ::)

Made in China. :o ;D
Mine leaked on the second trip, took them back and thy gave me another set, does not pay to go cheap does it. ::)

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 07:18:18 PM »

Dan Baily. Made in Montana. Sawas from TWS talked me in to pair 3 years ago. It was about 200 clams. I used them heavily year round at least 2 days a week for three years. They proved themselves excellent quality. After so much bush whacking there is no single leak to be patched.  They have hand warmers and waterproof pocket as well. Belt and gravel guard built in. You should check them out.

katfish

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »

My neoprene Hodgman's have held up good.  My only complaint is that the boot is attached.  Not so good when you are a walking a lot, especially during steelhead time.  I'd go with a the boot separate.

clujalolo

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 12:05:52 AM »

go on amazon and search for waders, i paid under 130$ for my neoprene waders that are insulated at the boots. only leaked once but that was because on the chehalis i got it stuck in a branch which then ripped them but got them fixed ;). VEERRRY worth the money, use them ALLL the time, havent had any issues with them. Mine are the Frogg Toggs.

ooh and with amazon, they dont ship to canada but go and search for international mailboxes blaine, call them up and setup a mailbox fo 10$ a year. SAVE alot of money on shipping costs. i use it all the time! plus, if you tell the truth at the border you shouldnt have any issues, ive gone over with 1000$ worth of stuff, told them how much ihave, and he let me go, didnt have to pay....keep your receipts.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:07:57 AM by clujalolo »

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 05:49:31 AM »

Neoprene waders with boots attached? You must be kidding? ;D ::)

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »

I like the Bare Cutthroats, light and relatively cheap, I've been using them pretty regularly for 5 salmon seasons now (in salt water for a lot that time) and no leaks so far.  But I spray them down after every trip like all my other gear to get rid of the salt.  In my opinion they're great waders.  I bought my wife a pair of those Dan Bailey waders on Ebay a few years ago, because they looked super heavy duty/durable (because my wife isn't to delicate on anything), and the waders haven't let her down - they came with a belt and boot guards - very nice, durable, thick (to keep her warm) and cost efficient waders. 

I would recommend shopping on Ebay because you can find killer deals man!  And if they won't ship to Canada, then get them shipped to Hagen's of Blaine and go pick them up yourself (you'll save on duties/brokerage fees too by doing that).

DRP79

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 03:52:38 PM »

I got some neoprene waders from Crappy Tire as well, they were about 100 on sale and they have served me well so far.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »

http://www.basspro.com/Waders/_/S-100013000

Too bad the closest store is near Calgary.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »

I got my Caddis Breathable Waders from Wholesale Sports on sale for $90 (Still on Sale now). They're lightweight tho, not very warm.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/fishing-apparel/waders-boots/stockingfoot-deluxe-breathable/prod278603.html

http://www.caddiswaders.com/products.php?category=deluxe&product=14
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:12:18 PM by Jewelz »
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."