Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ultralight rod for coho?  (Read 6024 times)

noobfisher

ultralight rod for coho?
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »

Had a great time with summer with pinks on the fraser with my ultralight rod .... is an ultra light rod enough to handle coho?  Thanks in advance.

mr.p

Re: ultralight rod for coho?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:31:45 PM »

depends on the coho.  should be fine for little hatchery runts that basically beach themselves
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:25:53 PM »

By ultralight rod, were you using ones used for trout fishing (4-6lb test rods)?
Because if you use it for cohos, it won't really be fun, even for smaller ones if there is any kind of current involved.
For pink and coho spinning, I have been using a 9 feet, light action spinning rod rated at 6-10lbs and it was still plenty of fun while giving enough backbone needed for control.

noobfisher

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 09:33:28 PM »

By ultralight rod, were you using ones used for trout fishing (4-6lb test rods)?
Because if you use it for cohos, it won't really be fun, even for smaller ones if there is any kind of current involved.
For pink and coho spinning, I have been using a 9 feet, light action spinning rod rated at 6-10lbs and it was still plenty of fun while giving enough backbone needed for control.

Yeah it is a trout rod, 2-6 lb test rod.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 10:02:10 PM »

Yeah it is a trout rod, 2-6 lb test rod.
I personally wouldnt recommend you using that rod. It's too light

noobfisher

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 10:04:39 PM »

Ok, thanks for the input, don't want to break it, it's a nice trout rod :)

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »

You can go light with any fish, it just takes a lot longer to land the fish.  This places undue stress on the fish during a long (boring IMO) tug of war.  Stick with regular gear.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »

I picked up a low profile curado, with a light action rod for coho and steelhead. Im loving it! super light setup, and picked both up for 160$ at wholesale sports.
The Bigger The Better!

slyrod

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 08:10:35 PM »

I picked up a low profile curado, with a light action rod for coho and steelhead. Im loving it! super light setup, and picked both up for 160$ at wholesale sports.
I gotta get me a setup like that.  I sometimes don't have the pleasure of using a big baitcaster rod for coho.

bcguy

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 05:22:40 AM »

Fenwick HMX, model# HMXS 86L-2-MF
4-15#, excellent rod for Pinks, and Coho on the Fraser and Harrison.
Tip snapped off on the first one, but had it replaced, and no problems since
Highly recommended
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

nosey

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 08:06:13 AM »

As much as ultralights are exciting they're not really that good a choice for fish you have to release, the longer you have to play a fish the greater the release of lactic acid and the more chance you have of killing the fish.  If you're practicing C&R one of the main things you have to do to insure a safe and healthy fish is to land it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 08:49:24 AM »

Same sorta set up I have been using all season... I have the Curado and an 8-12lb St.Croix.. Love it.  I haven't really used much else this year... ind you getting in a couple of those fresh chum on the lower was quite the chore...lol
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 09:47:32 AM »

--depends on what you mean by ultralight
--If you mean weight of gear.. low profile reel, specialty thin diameter line, sensitive tip rod with some bottome end backbone vs slow action rod with no backbone.

--It is possible to get ultralight equipment sensitive tip with enough backbone and a pleasure to cast all day.
--Going fishing for an hour or 10 hrs per day, a few ounces, castablility and balance makes a difference.

--Willingness to give up a larger fish... lighten up, shorten up on leader to allow for break away

--I use thin diameter specialty lines thus can crank up on the # test... biggest limiting factor I see is the reel... lighter line, cannot afford o have a reel that isn't smooth or with enough consistant drag available.

--Ultralight can be ultra expensive if you want to effectively take on bigger critters.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:49:35 AM by skaha »