Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing method at upper vedder  (Read 6134 times)

frozensalmon

fishing method at upper vedder
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:08:47 PM »

today went to upper vedder river part, google map @ 49.073497,-121.841426            (there's a single lane bridge)
saw a dude fishing with short floating, 2 feet leader, no wool, just hook,
he casted into very very fast running current (water blown), cast distance only like 10 feet long , let drift and bang, 3 fish on out of 5 cast  ! but non on mouth,
he released them all anyway, he said he doesn't keep fish.

I was new to this part of the river and this kinda of fishing method, so is this how people fish at fast current? it seems like very productive!
or it's just the fish (coho) like that fast current?

more coho, more coho... ::)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: fishing method at upper vedder
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 08:14:04 PM »

it seems productive beacause it is snagging or flossing or what ever you wanna call it, dont do it! stick to fishing proper with roe, blades, and wool, you may not catch as many fish but your fishing the proper way nd will feel more accomplised when you get a fish. and where your talking about is tamihia a spot where hundreds of snaggers go and do this method of snagging, its not real fishing.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

frozensalmon

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:19:48 PM »

I see..
I actually did just fish with my roe, which I had success in lower part a few days ago in keith wilson bridge part,
however in such fast current today, all my roe got washed away and lots of snagging with rocks, lost a few hooks, pencil lead... :-\

and the reason I went to upper was there was no one fishing in keith wilson today..lol, everyone went to upper river as I was told
I had no success today in keith wilson bridge part, also nothing in upper =(

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »

Welcome to the Tamahi pocket flossers! These fish are forced up a narrow travelling lane to make there way up through the white water, and snaggers take advantage of these paths and run there lines through them. whoops Iv said to much, Iv given away another Hot spot... lol
The Bigger The Better!

frozensalmon

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 09:28:55 PM »

just another quick ask, so basicly I won't be expecting any fish around keith wilson bridge (lower vedder river) in this year? or there's late run or so?
it's totally dead or so today, also not too many anglers around too,

bunnta

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:01:15 PM »

there are still fish to be had in the lower vedder, it just requires you to work a little harder because the water level has increased in the past week. The rain pushed the fish up the river very quickly so the fish are now stacking up in some pools or runs in the upper river. It is entirely up to you on what spot you want to fish. Fish is everywhere just not as concentrated as the upper river. Also ignore those beak....the point of fishing is to entice them to bite your trap/bait/lure etc. Its like hunting....its not hunting if you go kill your animal in a meat factory vs hunting them in a forest.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:04:03 PM by bunnta »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:20:03 AM »

jizza

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »

was this a serious post? ???
He is new to fishing he wants to learn.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 10:29:57 PM »

First clue is nothing on his hook. What do you think the fish are biting? A shiny new hook?

Tamahi is a freaking gong show. Only beaks fish it in salmon season. If the beaks are not at KWB they are at Tamahi. They only go to places the fish stack up. They have no intention on fishing ethically. They just want fish and dont care how they catch them.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:46:29 AM »

The fact that he referred to a man foul hooking 3 fish out of 5 cast as "productive" is pretty concerning...
Then feel free to educate him on WHY thats concerning, rather than getting judgemental over someones lack of knowledge. Sure I get why its concerning and why I wouldnt do it. But not everyone has the knowledge or experience to realize whats happening or why its happening the way it is.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

JPW

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »

As a new ethical fisherman, I would stay away from Tamahi and KWB so you don't get overwhelmingly discouraged.  Standing shoulder to shoulder with people, you'll try to short float, while the guys casting over you to your left and right are going to out catch you 20-1.  The fish have no where to go but through the gauntlet of long lines snagging them.  Really, it's a wonder any get through!

mikeyman

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 02:50:10 PM »

It is illegal to fish with nothing on the hook. I was up there last week and the amount of people snagging and flossing is brutal. DFO won't change the rules, apparently that is what the people want. When are people going to understand there is no sport in fishing if you are not fooling the fish to bite, what a joke. I think instead all the snagger's and flosser's should just get a one day opening, all get together with a gill net, and get their meat, and then go AWAY! Or learn how to fish! Don't be so dam stubborn or ignorant, and listen to reason, dumb asses!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 03:37:32 PM »

When are people going to understand there is no sport in fishing if you are not fooling the fish to bite, what a joke.

When they understand that there is no sport in feeding bait to the fish. Because let's face it, fishing bait is for little fat kids.
The only true sport is fooling the fish into biting an artificial fly or lure.   ;D

JPW

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 06:31:50 PM »

When they understand that there is no sport in feeding bait to the fish. Because let's face it, fishing bait is for little fat kids.

Hahahaha!  ;D

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »

Because let's face it, fishing bait is for little fat kids.

Rodney has been gaining quite a bit of weight lately  :-\