Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are wading boots a necessity or a luxury?  (Read 13050 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Are wading boots a necessity or a luxury?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 09:29:14 PM »

I don't like wearing those clumbsy boots over stocking waders. I'm sure that you might get a good fit after trying or buying countless wader boot combo's. I went for the breathable cheapo boot waders for all round ease of use. No goofy gater to stop rocks and rotten fish parts from getten snaged up in the toe area. Just slip on step out and get trout. Last ones I bought had the non felt sole. I have yet to try them out but no doubt they are going to be good enough for the type of wading I do. My original waders were those heavy neoprene sweat shop jock affairs. Then some lighter weight pvc ones. I use those croc shoes on my pontoon lightweight stocking foot waders. Probably have 7 sets of waders ::)

No worries about spreading desease with felt soles if your always fishing the same spots. But the no felt boots do have the advange of being easier to keep from spreading problems around.

Make a list of what you want to be doing in your waders before you decide on the wader system best suited.And if you think that boots over stocks rocks, bully for you.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 11:21:45 PM »

I would add that getting a pair of boots with good ankle support pays dividends if your spending a whole day on a river like the vedder.  All those rocks really start to tire your ankles, knees and hips (depending on your age) after a while and it only takes one roll over on your ankle to take you off the river for a month.

Plus I would do some research on rock snot and its contamination of rivers and lakes through felt soled boots and fishing gear.  There's a few extra steps one should take after fishing rock snot contaminated waters before stepping into another flow or body.  Just something to think about if you do find yourself in this situation.

When it comes to feet I personally wouldn't go cheap.  Get the best you can afford, the last thing you want to deal with is sore feet after you've hiked into a run.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 06:02:44 AM »

Wader boots are the part of my attire I take very seriuosly, comfortable, rugged boots with good ankle support and good river gripping soles are the key to a safe enjoyable day on the water.

Simms has GREAT boots, and many are reasonably priced for the quality you get.

I use the "rivershed" model with the screw on cleats, super grib with extreme durability and total comfort.

My fishing friend uses the "freestone" model, with felt soles, affordable, durable and very comfortable.

Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

dmoney

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 08:56:34 AM »

When I first started, I used an old pair of hiking boots, and they did the job but took forever to dry and got very stinky very fast. They also allow debris into your boot which will wear your waders faster. Wading boots are a necessity.

I think most people prefer felt but i have a strong prefernce for rubber soles. When river fishing, I'm hiking a km or two, then standing in mid-thigh or shallower water, so for me it's more important to be able to hike over the mud, grass, silt, etc without wiping out. I rarely wade across a flow or deeper than my hips, but I do like being able to walk a ways without my feet sliding out from under me.

As Clarki said, good ankle support is very important for me too. I just purchased the Dan Bailey eco-grip for the reasons above.

Nuggy

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 08:20:45 PM »

For  the folks who tried hiking boots you should notice in my previous post I mentioned we used to wear rubber boots over the neoprene stocking feet. The rubber boots dried out way faster than my G3`s and were a heck of a lot less money.

Cheers
Nuggy

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 10:09:18 PM »

My first pair of boots were just a black work boot type thing that i picked up at value village for about $3.00.
They got me through a season. ;D
I wouldnt recommend them though if doing any real wading.
Since ive had the Hodgmans and the old boots were probably more comfortable and stable. ;D