Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon  (Read 241937 times)

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
Re: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 09:14:42 PM »

Chris.

That is very interesting for sure.
But I'm not sure what you would expect to find in deep water anywhere in the ocean at that depth besides some black mud  ???
Not much of the ocean has much inhabitable bottom space besides places like eel grass beds in shallow water, and sponge reefs, etc in the deep.

ummmhhh u really gotta to kidding RIGHT ???

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 09:19:44 PM »

Including from Ivan Doumenc writing in The Straight today:

"Gary Marty, a fish pathologist with the B.C. government, reported cases of classic lesions associated with ISA over 1,000 times since 2006. Yet he never registered any of those repeated diagnoses—not a single time—as being the ISA virus itself. Why did he choose to systematically dismiss ISA, even though the symptoms he found matched the disease?  ISA was probably introduced in B.C. around 2004. We should have known about it since 2006. Yet we were kept in the dark about it. Those are heavy personal responsibilities that those people in power carry in the matter of the viral infection of our salmon. The time for denial is over. The time for running for cover is over."

Well, we just heard from Ivan.....Why don't we hear what Dr. Marty has to say....

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Radio/Local_Shows/Maritimes/Information_Morning_(NS)/2035075335/ID=2155815690

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 10:02:37 PM »

Chris, with all respect as you and I are good friends, that video was crap.

I wonder how much sewerage comes out of Victoria, totally untreated?
How much of the total winter flow of the Fraser River at Chilliwack.is composed of effluent from upstream towns?

Fish farms can be better; and they will be, just like beef, pork, and poultry farms have had to be to compete in the industry, despite their recent viral/bacterial  problems.
It’s new ….  and  apparently scary for a lot of folks;  I understand the push against it as we as a species generally shun change.  I’m just suggesting  people research for themselves salmon farming facts.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 10:17:45 PM »

ummmhhh u really gotta to kidding RIGHT ???

No I'm not...
Salmon farms are placed in specific areas. These areas are DEEP with lots of flow.
Deep means (in our waters especially) no light penetration and therefore no plant life. No plant life generally means no structure and therefore no other life.

So I forward this question to you again.
What would you expect to find in the aphotic zone of the ocean besides mud?
Except in certain situations as I mentioned like glass sponger reefs, etc which also prefer particular areas.

Dave, I'm glad I'm not the only one second guessing all of this negative publicity on salmon farms.

As said I'm not totally for them, but I can't be against them with the evidence I'v been given. The only thing I have a problem with is we are putting a species somewhere where it doesn't belong, but then again I sure do love my interior trout fishing  ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:19:33 PM by Every Day »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 07:44:13 AM »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100622112558.htm

You can say that the salmon farming methods are not harmful. But say that while sucking on a non harmful cigarette for best affect.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

StillAqua

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 08:12:04 AM »

After reading and listenng to all the dialogue and postings on the ISA virus found in the two sockeye smolts from Rivers Inlet, I'd bet dollars to donuts they turn out to be false positives and can't be confirmed by further testing, and that the PEI lab backs down on the findings. SFU went public too soon and the ISA lab didn't follow normal viral confirmation protocols for some odd reason. It just doesn't make sense that Rivers Inlet sockeye could have significant exposure to an Atlantic Salmon virus. That's my bet and we'll have to wait and see. Maybe we need a public enquiry......  :o

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2011, 02:04:09 PM »

Virus in Pacific Salmon Raises Worries About Industry
By WILLIAM YARDLEY
Published: October 28, 2011

Advocates for wild salmon said Friday that a deadly virus had been detected again in a Pacific salmon in British Columbia, but it was not clear if it would prove lethal to the fish population.
Related

The finding, like one involving two juvenile wild sockeye salmon in British Columbia, poses questions for the viability of salmon fisheries in Canada and the United States. Scientists have expressed concern about the emergence of the virus while raising questions about complications, including scientific doubts about the quality of the tests.[/b]

In its active state, the virus, infectious salmon anemia, has devastated Atlantic salmon populations in fish farms in Chile and elsewhere. Salmon advocates have long worried that the virus could spread to wild populations, but it not clear whether Pacific salmon are equally susceptible.

In documents released Friday, an adult coho salmon supplied by salmon advocates to a prominent laboratory showed signs of carrying the disease. That fish was reported to have been found in a tributary of the Fraser River, a critical salmon run for fishermen in Canada and the United States.

Last week, researchers from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia and elsewhere said that they had discovered the virus in 2 of 48 juvenile fish collected as part of a study of sockeye salmon in Rivers Inlet, on the central coast of British Columbia. The study was undertaken after scientists observed a decline in the number of young sockeye.

Such a virus could have a deep impact on the survival of salmon in the Pacific Northwest. Some scientists have suggested that the virus had spread from British Columbia’s aquaculture industry, which has imported millions of Atlantic salmon eggs over the last 25 years.

Salmon farms and wild fish are separated only by a net, many have noted. No treatment exists for the virus, which does not spread to humans, scientists say.

The crowded conditions of salmon farms are thought to abet the spread of the virus.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/29/science/pacific-salmon-virus-raises-worries-about-industry.html

???

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »

After reading and listening to all the dialogue and postings on the ISA virus found in the two sockeye smolts from Rivers Inlet, I'd bet dollars to donuts they turn out to be false positives and can't be confirmed by further testing..........

I'm guessing the Fraser river coho ISA virus falls into the same category??

Seems the best way to avoid fixing a problem is to deny that there is a problem. If you can get enough of the public to agree with you then you must be right?!?

It's absolutely amazing to me how much control Alexandra Morton and her Gang have on the Press
Let's see what she will Whip up next!

Guess what she whipped up now....   Fraser coho are now infected!  I never realized she also controls the New York press......  Some powerful lady.
Maybe the fish farmers and DFO could make this go away quicker if they co-operated with her instead of fighting her all the way. They have deep pockets, but I'm sensing she has a lot of fight in her!

Go Alex!!

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »

You got it right alwaysfishn... you're guessing :D
I know of a yellow white chinook submitted to " a prominent laboratory".  Does anyone have information regarding this coho?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 03:01:54 PM »

From Alexandra Morton's latest blog.....

"The New York Times did what I was not allowed to do - tell you there has been a second diagnosis of Infectious Salmon Anemia virus in wild BC salmon, this time in the Fraser River itself, the biggest wild salmon river in the world. The fish the New York Times is talking about is one that a small group of us picked up, sampled and sent to the world reference lab for the ISA virus. It was a beautiful coho salmon, in first blush of spawning colours. The salmon had navigated the river as a tiny fry, entered the sea as a fat and sassy little smolt eating everything in sight. It traveled north and west in search of the saltiness of the ocean and in doing so passed millions of European salmon in pens. Whether it got infected then or on the way home carrying the richness of a life at sea, her body shut down infected with a virus her ancestors never had a chance to prepare her for. We found her drifting dead downstream passing Harrison Mills. We scooped her up took a sliver of her heart and gills and sent them to one of the world authorities on ISA virus.

We did this because we want to know how widespread the European ISA virus is in BC waters and I don't see anyone else out there trying to map the damage. The lab never reported back to me, muzzled I suspect, but the information got out. We now have two diagnoses, 600 km apart, in two different species, of two different generations."

I wonder what else she knows.......   but isn't allowed to tell us!  Is anyone else as angry as I am at how ridiculous this is?

Even if the ISA virus is not a problem shouldn't you and I be allowed to know that it's out there?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »

You got it right alwaysfishn... you're guessing :D
I know of a yellow white chinook submitted to " a prominent laboratory".  Does anyone have information regarding this coho?

Just to clarify....   my comment was sarcasm.  I wasn't guessing!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 03:19:33 PM »

From another one of Alexandra's blogs....

"Below is an email forwarded to me today from a member of the public from the bcsalmonfacts.ca website. When you visit this site you see it is sponsored by:

The BC Salmon Farmers Association
EWOS
Grieg Seafood
Mainstream
Marine harvest
Skretting

In the email below, the author with an email address from this site says: “Regardless of proof, this news is of concern to BC salmon farmers. Although this particular strain of ISA is of a non-pathogenic genotype (non lethal), the Atlantic salmon is quite susceptible to certain strains of ISA.”

Minster Ashfield, how does the industry know this is the “non-pathogenic genotype” ISA virus?

The bcsalmonfacts.ca email author seems not only assured that this is ISA virus, but also has more information about this than appeared on the Kibenge report.
Is this information coming from your Moncton Lab? Please confirm whether the federal government knows if the ISAv genotype found in the two Rivers Inlet sockeye salmon is of the non-pathogenic strain."

I guess this falls under the deny, deny, deny category. Like my parents taught me, if you lie once, you'll need to tell a bigger lie the next time and eventually you will get caught!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 03:21:10 PM by alwaysfishn »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 06:59:57 PM »

Dear Wild Salmon People:

The New York Times just published an article on test results from a coho salmon we found dead in the Fraser River.  I am glad this got out, thank you to the New York Times, because I was not allowed to tell you.

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com

Alexandra Morton

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2011, 07:09:08 PM »

Why not name the Lab or is she muzzled?
on something this important. I would have sent samples to multiple labs and at least one to a press source for them to test as well. This would dampen most of the credibility questions.

I would like to see a complete report on the sampling process, from sample selection, the methodology of sampling and testing regime made public. This has gone beyond could be or can't be. It has brought into question our Government's or at least a very important ministry's credibility.   
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2011, 07:11:30 PM »

Here is her blog post http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/ I wouldn't have a problem with her if she didn't exaggerate so much I don't see any science backing up the title.