Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anyone have a abu 6500 manual lying around?  (Read 6328 times)

Zackattack

Re: anyone have a abu 6500 manual lying around?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 09:22:31 PM »

Taking this "brake weights" out will result in longer casts but I don't recommend removing all of them because you will have birdsnesting problems.

thanks stratocaster your explanation was terrific. the main reason I was asking about the braking system was because my reel is 'used' and I was curious to find out if the previous owner had removed those brakes. so now I know how to check! after all i thought if he had removed these brakes it might make it more difficult for me to learn on but ya i realize these rods do a have a learning curve and im improving everyday

Ken D

Re: anyone have a abu 6500 manual lying around?
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »

Hi, Folks....A couple of operating notes. The regular 6500C3 is a non-magnetic piece. the 6-puck system is made up of little plastic "flyweights" that are centrifugally controlled. The factory sends the reel out with 2/6 functioning. you can make them all non-functioning, or engage all 6, or less, if you like. 

As regards the tension control/casting knob under the star: Inside the cap is a little black "frisbee" with molded clips that clasp the spool axle. The axle then moves up and down against the spool bearing under the clutch above, to slow it down, thereby reducing
spool speed.

Many sports back off the end cap to such a degree, that the spool "clacks" back and forth in the frame, causing zero cast control.
To adjust: tighten the end cap _all the way_ to the bottom of the boss. Engage cast mode, by pushing down the button.
Attempt to 'thumb' the spool, and note it is really frozen. Now, slooooolwy loosen the end cap, until the spool actually goes into freespool mode. Push spool laterally side to side in the frame. It should barely move. You are now in the zone.

Another way to do this is: fully loosen the end cap, and sloooooolwy tighten, until you feel a slight "whump"....this different sensation is the act of engagement between those litttle clips on the frisbee, into the dents in the axle. It's doing much the same thing as the first part of this, except you dont' have to go all the way to the bottom of the threads. 

Good fishing and fixing. KD.