Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abu Record bearing addition  (Read 3464 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Abu Record bearing addition
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:58:53 PM »

The spool of on the Abu Record floats on and disengages from the spindle when casting.  The spool floats riding on one ball bearing, anti-reverse roller bearing and one bronze bushing.  The bushing on my RCN50 went bad on mine after I forgot to rinse it after it fell in saltwater and then stillwater season happened and it didn't get used for several months.  It would still cast as the spindle itself will rotate when in freespool, but it didn't cast like it used to.

The bushing itself is a press fit and is a pain to remove.  I immersed it in boiling water for a few seconds then used a nail against the backside of the bushing (from the ball-bearing side) to drive it out, just like you'd drive out a wheel bearing from the hub of your vehicle.  After a few surprising hard taps, I popped the bushing out.  It looked like the standard Abu spool bearings would fit, so I grabbed a spare bearing I had sitting around and installed it in place of the spun bushing.  The spool rotates better than ever now.

Sandy

• Old Timer
Re: Abu Record bearing addition
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 09:23:48 PM »

used to be an Aussie site on tuning Abu's also sold kits for drags,bearings etc. bronze gears ,changing ratios. lots of good stuff.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »

used to be an Aussie site on tuning Abu's also sold kits for drags,bearings etc. bronze gears ,changing ratios. lots of good stuff.

Mikes Reel Repairs could probably hook you up with what  you need.

brysonk

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 06:40:06 AM »

I replaced both the bearing and bushing in mine with abec 7 open face bearings and removed the anti reverse bearing. you think your's spins ;) I also suggest getting the dual bearing worm gear upgrade along with ceramic pawl. Makes a huge difference.  I bought a 10 pack of the bearings and have some left if you want a couple.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:27:36 AM »

I replaced both the bearing and bushing in mine with abec 7 open face bearings and removed the anti reverse bearing. you think your's spins ;) I also suggest getting the dual bearing worm gear upgrade along with ceramic pawl. Makes a huge difference.  I bought a 10 pack of the bearings and have some left if you want a couple.

Yeah that'd be awesome, thanks.  How you'd get the A/R bearing out of the spool?  Mine's set in the spool quite well.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:29:45 AM by Matt »

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »

another fellow is KenD from up near smithers on the various stes, I have one of his re-worked 7000's and it is awsome. Great info and help.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

brysonk

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 06:43:40 PM »

I'd try your reel with the anti reverse bearing for awhile and if you still need more speed and casting distance then remove it. I had to press the bearing out. You can punch it out but will most likely destroy it in the process. I'll give you 2 bearings for 10 bucks if you pick them up. located in langley. I do go to chilliwack most weekends though. Mikes reel repair is in abbotsford if your ever out that way and they are great people to deal with and very knowledgable when it comes to any reel. Their prices are very resonable too. They are open tues to sat.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:45:54 PM by brysonk »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 01:00:39 PM »

I'd try your reel with the anti reverse bearing for awhile and if you still need more speed and casting distance then remove it. I had to press the bearing out. You can punch it out but will most likely destroy it in the process. I'll give you 2 bearings for 10 bucks if you pick them up. located in langley. I do go to chilliwack most weekends though. Mikes reel repair is in abbotsford if your ever out that way and they are great people to deal with and very knowledgable when it comes to any reel. Their prices are very resonable too. They are open tues to sat.

Punching the out WILL destroy the spool.  Its a job for a press.  I'm down to my 5500C3 spool now

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 09:12:43 PM »

Email sent.

Ken D

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 08:58:27 AM »

Hi, folks.... Alan Tani of CA runs a comprensive fishing site, dedicated to all the popular reels, in sub forums, etc.  the RN model is discussed in the ABU tutorial and questions, here:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27.0  To recap: the RN reels utilize a hybrid rotation style: incorporating a fixed axle theme, with an ultracast type spool.        

On an RH reel, under the 6-puck clutch lives a tiny one-way clutch bearing. This stalls the spool, so it can spin on the ball bearings located in the ~sideplate~ pockets. That bronze bushing in the spool is more of a steady bearing than a rotation bearing.

Alan's tutorial is very well done, and will aid any Record owner.  good fishing and fixing. KD.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:00:44 AM by Ken D »