Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: looking to build a centerpin rod  (Read 7693 times)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
looking to build a centerpin rod
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »

Hey was wondering if anybody could give some advice for building a custom cp rod. After doing some research, i've decided to use a 4 piece spey blank for the rod. Could someone help me out with who I should go to in getting the rod made? Thanks

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: looking to build a centerpin rod
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:20:21 PM »

depends where you live. brian ford at west coast tackle is very good, he will have it done in a week or less every time.
If walter is back in from guiding at searun tackle, hes probably one of the best around...

what blank did you decide on
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »

Ive been reading about blanks. Thinking about the Rainshadow but I would love if anybody else had any ideas.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 04:13:54 PM »

I think for a centerpin rod you want more of a medium action. A traditional spey blank 12'6" to 13'6" would be suitable.
I am currently building an 11'6" Batson RX6 spey blank as a casting rod and it is a medium fast action rod.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 08:41:48 AM »

I think for a centerpin rod you want more of a medium action. A traditional spey blank 12'6" to 13'6" would be suitable.
I am currently building an 11'6" Batson RX6 spey blank as a casting rod and it is a medium fast action rod.

is also what I'm planning to use, what seat and guides are you going with?

also planning to build another to suite the Silex, any idea's I'm thinking something an 11'0 # 8 switch, open to suggestion.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 11:58:07 AM »

Decided on getting a rod made with a winston spey blank. Hope that turns out well !

Valley Custom Rods

• Valley Custom Rods
  • Valley Custom Rods
    • Valley Custom Rods
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 11:30:19 PM »

is also what I'm planning to use, what seat and guides are you going with?

also planning to build another to suite the Silex, any idea's I'm thinking something an 11'0 # 8 switch, open to suggestion.

Hi Sandy,
If it would help we stock all models of the Batson / Rainshadow Spey and Switch rod blanks here in Chilliwack and you are more than welcome to stop by our little shop for a Hands on look and load up a few blanks if you like anytime. We also have a great selection of seats and guides to choose from.
Regards,
Mark