Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 6th 2011  (Read 11530 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, October 6th 2011
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 05:00:51 AM »

Just coho. Good job rod :o Always fun to out fish Chris eh ;D
To busy filming. ;D ;D ;D

Besides I had caught my fish before at a secret spot  ;D ;D although not as nice as Rod's and Nina's coho. Today will be different. ;D ;D ;D

bluenoser

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 07:11:14 AM »

What kind of bar were those coho hanging out at Rod...were they were all males...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Nice Job...looks look Nina and you had a banner week.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 07:13:39 AM by bluenoser »

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 08:03:04 AM »

To busy filming. ;D ;D ;D

Besides I had caught my fish before at a secret spot  ;D ;D although not as nice as Rod's and Nina's coho. Today will be different. ;D ;D ;D
always with the excuses ;D Hope I can just get a couple of those this weekend :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Robert_G

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 08:22:54 AM »

wow nice fishes

are those pinks + coho ?

I'll say it again....bring CORE in for fishing licences. How anyone can think for a second that photo has any Pinks in there is beyond me. None of those fishes have ANY markings that would identify them as Pinks.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:25:03 AM by Robert_G »

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 08:34:09 AM »

Good job Rod !!! I was out on Wed. with my bro' and we only caught two and one got off after a quick tussle. Very well done to both you and Nina !!!!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 10:17:31 AM »

After getting up at 3:30am, spending a few hours processing fish tonight, I am now exhausted so the report has to wait... :-\

I'll just leave a photo up for now. :)

Yes, that's a bag of milt sacs at the bottom. It's my daily supplement to help me grow a few inches (in height...) so I can feel more confident. :o
Nice fish, however a blatant example of improper fish handling technique as I have ever seen. For your information, laying a fish in the sand removes it's protective slime and slitting the belly makes it very unlikely that the fish will ever spawn. Disgusting.

anorden

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »

I'll say it again....bring CORE in for fishing licences. How anyone can think for a second that photo has any Pinks in there is beyond me. None of those fishes have ANY markings that would identify them as Pinks.

How anyone can think for a second that people are born with 10 years fish ID experience is beyond me.

Last time I looked the photos in the regs are no way clear enough for a beginner to ID fish at all stages of the migration/spawning cycle.

frozensalmon

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 10:37:47 AM »

I learned day by day ,don't be harsh, just started salmon fishing this year and just start to Fish last year 
and yah i'm beyond you now but I will be expert in the future, coz i do love fishing and I will keep learning better
more coho, more coho... ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 10:38:42 AM »

This is what pink salmon look like now on the Vedder, a little different to the ones in my batch. ;D

hookme, yep. ;)

The report has to wait, must take Dad out before the Thanksgiving crowd so he can get a coho fix too.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 10:40:01 AM »

Last time I looked the photos in the regs are no way clear enough for a beginner to ID fish at all stages of the migration/spawning cycle.

It is up to individuals to educate themselves regarding fish identification.  If you want to fish responsibly the onus is on YOU to figure it out.  If you can't identify one species from the next it's simple, you should not be fishing for them.

There are plenty of pictures available online to help beginners sort it out.

Don't be too hard on frozensalmon, he is obviously a beginner and needs guidance, not ridicule.  Not one person has said what in those pictures would differentiate a coho from a pink.  So frozensalmon, some things that would help you identify them as coho as compared to a pink would be:

shape of the tail... these fish have a very squared off tail, whereas a pink salmon has a "V" shape.
shape of the tail 2.... these fish have THICK caudal area (where the tail joins the body).  A pink salmon is noticealby thinner in this area.
spotting.... difficult to tell from these pictures as you can't see the tails... but pinks have "weak" oval spotting, where coho have dark spotting on their backs that extends to the upper portion of their tail (but not lower).
SCALE SIZE.... this is an easy one.  You can see, even from these photos, that the scales are quite large.  A pink salmon has very small scales, making them far less pronounced.
The "hook" on the nose... also a giveaway.  The males get a real "gonzo" nose to them.

Body shape and head shape are markedly different too, this is something you will be able to recognize once you've seen more of them.

hope that helps.

frozensalmon

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 10:48:10 AM »

the way I identify the coho and pink is that, the spot on their tale, pinks has large , a bit oval spot all across the tale but coho only has a s small, a line maybe , of spot in their tale, just 2 sides, not the whole tale, and the mouth of coho, which has white gum.   rather than that, the body indeed, is a bit round up than pink,pink is more like slim,
and for male pink....the easiest fish to identify ..

well thx for your infomation!

normally I have no problem identify coho and pinks, but the angle of the Rodney's photo makes me wonder a bit I guess, that's why I asked anyway

It is up to individuals to educate themselves regarding fish identification.  If you want to fish responsibly the onus is on YOU to figure it out.  If you can't identify one species from the next it's simple, you should not be fishing for them.

There are plenty of pictures available online to help beginners sort it out.

Don't be too hard on frozensalmon, he is obviously a beginner and needs guidance, not ridicule.  Not one person has said what in those pictures would differentiate a coho from a pink.  So frozensalmon, some things that would help you identify them as coho as compared to a pink would be:

shape of the tail... these fish have a very squared off tail, whereas a pink salmon has a "V" shape.
shape of the tail 2.... these fish have THICK caudal area (where the tail joins the body).  A pink salmon is noticealby thinner in this area.
spotting.... difficult to tell from these pictures as you can't see the tails... but pinks have "weak" oval spotting, where coho have dark spotting on their backs that extends to the upper portion of their tail (but not lower).
SCALE SIZE.... this is an easy one.  You can see, even from these photos, that the scales are quite large.  A pink salmon has very small scales, making them far less pronounced.
The "hook" on the nose... also a giveaway.  The males get a real "gonzo" nose to them.

Body shape and head shape are markedly different too, this is something you will be able to recognize once you've seen more of them.

hope that helps.
more coho, more coho... ::)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 11:14:33 AM »

Don't mind the negative comments frozensalmon.  Some people just think they are born knowing all.

It's good that you ask on the forums when you have doubt what specie those photoed salmons are.

It'll make you better in ID'ing fish.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 04:33:41 PM »

No point hitting the vedder this weekend, Rod has cleaned the river out of all the coho....again

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »

So Rod, did Nina caught most of the fish?   ;D

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 06:27:02 PM »

Had a nice day too....