Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson steelhead status 1  (Read 14457 times)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: Thompson steelhead status 1
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 05:53:38 AM »

Best to leave the whats left of this run to spawn unimpeded by us. Keep it Closed.

I totally agree 100%, there's other places to fish steelhead besides the "T" . I say give it 5 yrs or so and then have a look see.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 06:13:38 AM »

Best to leave the whats left of this run to spawn unimpeded by us. Keep it Closed.
Not sure if tou missed it but a lot of poaching golng on that has to be curtailed if there is any hope of saving this once mighty run of fish. :(

quill

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 10:52:19 AM »

Well they opened it in 2009 with only 9 fish in the test nets so I dont understand the reasoning this season.

They've made an adjustment in how the Albion data is applied, more conservative.

Do you think poaching is that much of a factor Chris? I spent about 20 years running up and down the tracks and don't recall seeing too many people I would consider to have been "poaching". Saw some I believe were ignorant of the closure, a couple obviously poaching (turned in), some who didn't appear to be aboriginals but (I later learned) were... but for the most part it didn't seem to be huge problem. I believe there's a Guardian program.   

quill

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »

They've made an adjustment in how the Albion data is applied, more conservative.

Do you think poaching is that much of a factor Chris? I spent about 20 years running up and down the tracks and don't recall seeing too many people I would consider to have been "poaching". Saw some I believe were ignorant of the closure, a couple obviously poaching (turned in), some who didn't appear to be aboriginals but (I later learned) were... but for the most part it didn't seem to be huge problem. I believe there's a Guardian program.   

Was told it is a problem and one person apparently took 30 last season, for the smoker  :o but I can not verify that but the source wrote to me and said it was a fact. That person may wish to post more details here.

That is one reason for having an opening in my mind as ot puts eyes and ears on the river and I feel that makes up for any mort's caused by and catch and release opening. A meeting is supposed to take place to try and address this problem this month, have not heard back from Steve if this has happened yet.

I kinow being on the Vedder a lot over 30 years I have seen very few dead steelhead. Also the telemetry study I was involved in a few years bago shows most tagged fish that were not taken after being tagged passed the station in the  Lower Vedder after spawning. I have the paper that gives all the stat's.

quill

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »

I agree that the sport fisting mortality rate is minimal, but any sport opening is tied to the Integrated Fisheries Management Plan which means that there would probably be a non selective chum opening(s) on the Fraser (if chum escapement permits). The question then becomes can the resource absorb the exploitation from both fisheries? 

May not be popular, but I agree with the ministry in setting minimum targets and their closed 'til open regime. The problem is that *everyone* needs to bear the brunt of conservation, not just Spences, or sport fishers, or Area 29 gills, this needs to extend into the approach fisheries as well. DFO has authorized numerous Johnstone Strait chum fisheries which most certainly had an impact.   

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 03:06:16 PM »

There should be no chum gill net fishery in the Fraser when the Thompson steelhead are in the system absolutely ridiculous in my mind even if the have recovery tanks aboard.

Of course FOC in many people's minds do not look after our fish stocks like they should, remember the East Coast fishery, allowing gravel mining on the Fraser that killed millions of pinks a few cycles back, the fish farm issue, cut backs in all avenues of staff including funding that has moral at a low point. The list grows longer in each passing day. Its not the everyday staff to blame but the government in power that does not give proper leadership to this issue.

When will we get someone in power that really cares about our fish a renewable resource that so many of us including the whole ecosystem depend on, shocking isn't it?

I hate to be so negative but to me that is where we are at the last number of years, maybe someone here will correct me on what I have said if I am in error.

I am sure someone from FOC monitor this site daily, please speak up even though your job could be at stake if you do. That's too bad in a democratic country that seems to be disappearing these days, getting a bit off topic here but management of our Thompson River steelhead are the casualty of what I have mentioned here. :(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 02:08:35 PM »

I was up at S. B. yesterday having breakfast at the Packing House and there is still a chance there will be an opening on the Thompson for that world famous fish, we will know by Nov. 1 by the report I got.
 I guess the indicator at Albion is near the mark that give us an opening. I believe an opening puts eyes and ears on he river to help curtail the poaching that goes on.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 05:54:12 PM »

Sounds like the Thompson will open on Saturday.
Please consult http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/ for confirmation.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 08:27:13 PM »

I hope it doesnt open
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 09:21:34 AM »

LOL
Beek, see you on a unknown river near us for steellhead. ;D ;D ;D Have a tube again this year for brood capture will have to tag along with you so you can catch some for the program. :-\

buck

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »

Stinkyshrimp, if you did 10% of what Chris has done for the resource you might qualify to carry his bags. I've been telling all my buddies that the Thompson is opening so you should have lots of competition. Blab Blab Blab Blab

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »

--maybe we could come up with a system like on ski hill  circle, square, diamond for description of fishing area..  it is not enforced.. ie you can to to black diamond and give it a try but might give some an indication if the area is suitable (fishing wise) for their skill level... this may also reduce the bus load of people flocking to an area that can only be effectively fished by a few people or due to access or type of water will prove frustrating to those with less skill.
--saying the Thompson is open is like saying the east coast of Van Island is open. Yes there are popular spots and I sometimes go there but I have fished many times with no one in site...  Often areas where fish move through its hit and miss... by the time the word is out fish are gone and locals are again waiting for next wave.. of both fish and people.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »

Stinkyshrimp, if you did 10% of what Chris has done for the resource you might qualify to carry his bags. I've been telling all my buddies that the Thompson is opening so you should have lots of competition. Blab Blab Blab Blab
Nice post!
CG is a gem, but he treats his tackle like shite ;)