Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fall hatches  (Read 3006 times)

Preliator

Fall hatches
« on: September 27, 2011, 06:06:13 PM »

As the temperature cools down from the summer months, are there any prominent insect hatches that occur during fall (and winter)? And for those of you who use chironomid fishing as your go to method, would this change in the cooler months?

fishfulthinkin

Re: Fall hatches
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:21:16 AM »

In lakes most trout will be filling up on leeches and shrimp to bulk up for the winter. most of the hatches are over at that time

Preliator

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »

Come winter, are there any hatches at all given that our area doesn't get drastically cold?

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:10:42 PM »

theres still hatches going on, green drakes are coming out. I have seen small hatches of weird big bugs on the surface before in winter when the hot sun comes out an warms everything up abit.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Preliator

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »

Since the fish are less active in the cooler water, will they still take advantage of a hatch, become more active, and gorge themselves, or remain idol and try not to work too hard to find food?

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 08:28:50 PM »

theyll rise for them but not really hit just kinda bumb it,  but the lake i was foshing today had a big hatch and they were vicously feeding on the surface.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:29:53 AM »

theyll rise for them but not really hit just kinda bumb it,  but the lake i was foshing today had a big hatch and they were vicously feeding on the surface.

What is this Foshing you speak of Id like to try it. ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 12:19:23 PM »

nymphs, leaches, shrimp immatations and you can also try think like grass hoppers, beattles and ants at this time of the year

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »

nymphs, leaches, shrimp immatations and you can also try think like grass hoppers, beattles and ants at this time of the year
agree with the nymphs, under an indacator with 2 tiny split shots and a bead head nymph = deadly in rivers.

wizard

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »

Water boatman.  Floating one with a sinking line, sinking style with a dry line.  Watch how real ones are swimming in the water and try to mimic that with your retreive.
Scuds, leeches, gomphus, baby damsels, ants... 
Generally fish shallow and look for active fish...keep a stomach pump handy, and a stiff drink on board to keep you warm.

Preliator

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 08:22:04 PM »

Thanks for the information guys. Terrestrials are something I don't have any of in my box right now.

During my recent outings, I've tried to keep in towards the shallows but have seen a lot of surface activity further on out. I had them dancing around me in my float tube the other day but only managed one. I've often considered purchasing a stomach pump but still haven't, and then I have days like that one, where that single fish at the beginning of the feeding frenzy remains my final one. Murphy's Law was written about me.