Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it worth targeting pinks on the Vedder yet?  (Read 10675 times)

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Is it worth targeting pinks on the Vedder yet?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 04:15:14 PM »

was there today...very quiet, covered alot of water from top to bottom and managed 1 fish between 2 of us. Didnt see very many fish around, none at the kieth wilson a few at tamahi...and i do mean a few. fished from the canal to just below alison. I wasnt suprised to see that the river has changed again, but wow...some areas the water has moved significantly.

buck

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »

Hook

You are right about catching chinook jacks a few years ago in late August and early Sept  Since then the Chilliwack Hatchery has been cutting production of both chinook and coho. This will have a huge impact on the number of returning adults and jacks. It's a numbers game and we are on the losing side of the equation. :( :(

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »

I wasnt referring to chinook jacks, I was catching all adults and in the same area each time out (2-3times a week) my biggest of the trip was a 40lb female that i gently released to fight another day as i has already taken an 20lber  ;D I was out from daylight until noon each outing and fishing got alot slower after 10-1030am when the sun hit the pool. I think i actually only hit 3 jacks and took only 1 of them because it was a red.....YUM

HOOK - Wished he had time to get out there right now and see if he can get a chromer on the two hander
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Richmond

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 11:51:08 AM »

saw some moving into the canal, give it a go.

newb33

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 09:52:36 PM »

Caught 12 pinks in 2'1/2 hours so the answers yes there in the vedder and watched proably 300 fish rise

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 06:34:36 AM »

Caught 12 pinks in 2'1/2 hours so the answers yes there in the vedder and watched proably 300 fish rise

:)

newb33

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 09:30:59 PM »

wow talk about a different day same spot same time caught nothing and only seen about 20 risers

Pac NW

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 07:38:59 AM »

Lots of them shooting through at the crossing in very shallow water yesterday morning but not real eager to bite. Caught a couple.
Went further down river later on and caught a few more. You had to work for them.

Knife

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 10:21:58 PM »

Had a great day on Wed. as well. Released over a dozen pinks ,lost many, and lost a small coho about 3-4 lbs. right at my feet.  Caught all my fish in waist deep or better water. Lots of pinks in the shallow water cruising by, but i could only get them to hit the fly in deeper areas. All on a pink rolled muddler.

poper

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 11:58:17 PM »

I saw a bunch snaged in the canal.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »

We were at the vedder yesterday, the water is quite clear throughout so you have to work hard to entice bites, I found it was a quick change in what you are throwing at them that would spark a bite or two, but after a dozen casts they became spooked. A LOT of people fishing like bozo's out there as well. Several people...just a weight and a hook.

Tee

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »

I was there yesterday also fly fishing. I hooked most of the fist at almost the end of my swing or  during my retrieve. A lot moving close in, but not interested in taking the fly. Handle bar seemed to work OK for me.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

mistermongz

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »

tons of fish yesterday (Sunday), and tons of snaggers. wow. it was like peg leg out there....put in some leg work found some nice runs just for me and buddy and we got into so many fish. It was a great day!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:16:58 PM by mistermongz »
Fish on!!!

rickjames_2

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »

ya, tonnes o pinks... Some are alright, but I didn't leave with any... Landed 14 in about 2 hours... Lots of willing fish, but also snaggers... You can only reeducate so many of them... bi will bring my fly rod next time.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

greese30

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »

i love it when the snaggers ask me "what're you using?"  my only response is always "does it really matter?"