Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many hatchery marked coho salmon from Chilliwack River have you kept in fall 2011?

0 :(
- 39 (32.8%)
1 - 5 :-\
- 39 (32.8%)
6 - 10 :)
- 19 (16%)
11 - 15 :)
- 14 (11.8%)
16 - 20 :D
- 2 (1.7%)
21 - 25 :D
- 3 (2.5%)
26 - 30 :o
- 1 (0.8%)
31+ :o
- 2 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: 2011 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 97006 times)

steve B

That vedder river was busy today especially the canal by yale rd but there was still lots of spots to fish water clarity was good for spoon fishin hooked into lots of male humped out pinks  and 3 wild coho all were released over all it was beautiful day to be on the river

The canal may get busy but with the amount of fish i seen rise and jump i will put up with the crowds

Kype

• Try the fly!

Took a walk down from Vedder Crossing quite a ways early this morning and was shocked to see how many of the runs had filled in with gravel.  Of course there were plenty of 'fishermen' but most of the runs you could see every stone on the bottom of the river  :o

So then off to a usual haunt on the Fraser for bags of fun, despite the water clarity - which improved as the day went on.
Try the fly!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Water level remained somewhat unchanged but it was a bit cloudier by the time we left around Noon today. Can someone provide an update on the condition before dark today please?

jacked55

i left around 1pm today and was the same as you described rod.

Sinaran

i left at around 5pm, things looked the same to me ( clarity, water level). 
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

hue-nut

• Old Timer

Maybe the clay slides are gonna hold up a little better this year ??? it was pissing on me all morning around Tamihi and I did not notice a difference in clarity at all, whereas during steelhead season, it seemed like the mere threat of rain colored up the river

steve B

If someone could kindly post an update on the clarity of the river that would be much appreciated as im planning another trip on thursday ? please and thank you

matrix111

was there yesterday. Clarity is ok maybe about 2-3 feet, not sure though after last night and today's rain . water level seems to drop though late in the morning. I will go Friday am, Can you post river update when you come back from Thursday? :)

azafai

how the river was looking like?  any reports?
thanks.

Tee

Water was quite clear when I left at 4:00 pm with the steady rain nonetheless. Lots of people out in the usual spots but there was a plenty of room anywhere else. A lot of chinook passing through where I was.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Water was quite clear when I left at 4:00 pm with the steady rain nonetheless. Lots of people out in the usual spots but there was a plenty of room anywhere else. A lot of chinook passing through where I was.
More chinook than the weekend?  I couldn't find them too well - got one chromer after 18 hours of fishing Sat & Sun.  I was surprised how few fresh fish seemed to move in with the rain.  I saw the same spring caught in the same spot 2 days in a row (with a big bite near his gill plate), and the one I bonked had a hook with identical wool already in her mouth, suggesting to me that there are maybe only as many fish as there are fishermen.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Rain has now stopped, the fishing will be hot tomorrow. ;D ;D ;D

lohi

I have a question to all the oldtime master fishermen here. I'm new to the fishery, and was out on the vedder yesterday. I found a great hole where one could see fish (coho and springs) congregating in high numbers. i tried to toss everything i had at them; roe, wool of all colours, blades and spinners, but there were no takers. in fact, they would dodge the lures and bate as it drifted by them.

so, my question is: is there a magic bullet to get the fish to bite? As i said, i'm new to this and i really want to try to catch fish the proper way, and not by flossing or snagging (there were a few snaggers out in the same spot, and boy were the 'hooking' on to fish  :P

anyway, all advice is appreciated!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

I have a question to all the oldtime master fishermen here. I'm new to the fishery, and was out on the vedder yesterday. I found a great hole where one could see fish (coho and springs) congregating in high numbers. i tried to toss everything i had at them; roe, wool of all colours, blades and spinners, but there were no takers. in fact, they would dodge the lures and bate as it drifted by them.

so, my question is: is there a magic bullet to get the fish to bite? As i said, i'm new to this and i really want to try to catch fish the proper way, and not by flossing or snagging (there were a few snaggers out in the same spot, and boy were the 'hooking' on to fish  :P

If there are a bunch of snaggers in the same spot as you, the fish were likely put off the bite by the snaggers tearing the water to a froth.  Move away, and find fresh fish that haven't been harassed by the snaggers yet. 

Fresh holding fish WILL take roe, blades, etc... you just have to find ones that haven't been put down yet.

Clarki Hunter

If you can seem them, they can see you... I know that's an obvious one but think of this way.  They probably think your a bear and are totally stressed out so the chance of them doing anything but play statue is nil.  I'd move on.  Most folks walk straight in and start slapping the water, which on a highly pressured system leaves you no other option.  But if you find your own piece, take your time, stay low, watch and then PLAN how you're going to offer to them.  You'll get more of them before the pool is spooked.  Now having said that I've sight fished, slipped off a rock, fallen in and still caught most of them anyways! lol