Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: was there a commercial opening that would be impacting the fraser  (Read 5415 times)

greese30

this week?  i thought i heard of an opening on tuesday or wednesday (23, 24)....anyone know?

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: was there a commercial opening that would be impacting the fraser
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 01:13:57 PM »

this week?  i thought i heard of an opening on tuesday or wednesday (23, 24)....anyone know?

Yes, it was yesterday:

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2011/Announcement16.pdf

greese30

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:58:33 PM »

thanks

Robert_G

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »

Ugh...people really need to learn better of how these openings work....and ultimately how they affect the non-tidal Fraser.

First of all, if you read closer, you will see that all these openings were in the ocean except one....and that opening was for 2 hours....and it was on Tuesday (not Wed)...and it was by licence holders for Area E.

When sifting through the commercial openings on Fraser Sockeye....the only openings we need to worry about is the main commercial fleet in Area E
These are the guys that rape the river...leaving the famous 2-3 day window where certain areas are literallly dead zones.
The other openings of course do take fish out, but no other area leaves dead zones like a fishery from the Area E fleet. The sockeye in the ocean are not as concentrated as they are in the lower Fraser (AREA E)...so the likelyhood of deadzones is substantially less.

AREA E commercial fishermen fish from the mouth of the Fraser all the way up to Mission Bridge. Anything over 4 lbs with fins will get caught and die during these openings...even some sturgeon get caught too.

Anyways...there was no commercial fishery on Wednesday that would cause a 'window'.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »

Ugh...people really need to learn better of how these openings work....and ultimately how they affect the non-tidal Fraser.

First of all, if you read closer, you will see that all these openings were in the ocean except one....and that opening was for 2 hours....and it was on Tuesday (not Wed)...and it was by licence holders for Area E.

When sifting through the commercial openings on Fraser Sockeye....the only openings we need to worry about is the main commercial fleet in Area E
These are the guys that rape the river...leaving the famous 2-3 day window where certain areas are literallly dead zones.
The other openings of course do take fish out, but no other area leaves dead zones like a fishery from the Area E fleet. The sockeye in the ocean are not as concentrated as they are in the lower Fraser (AREA E)...so the likelyhood of deadzones is substantially less.

AREA E commercial fishermen fish from the mouth of the Fraser all the way up to Mission Bridge. Anything over 4 lbs with fins will get caught and die during these openings...even some sturgeon get caught too.

Anyways...there was no commercial fishery on Wednesday that would cause a 'window'.

took a drive to the lower fraser tonite and it looks like the first nation have a good opening as it was net to net down by annacis Ils , looks bleak for the upper flossers for the next bit !

tfishy

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:36 PM »

not to start an argument but saying anything over 4lbs will get caught and die during these openings is not entirely true the net is made to catch sockeye and it depends on the mesh size we obviously get by-catches but for the most part just sockeye.  sturgeon are caught and release promptly.  You ask any Area E gillnet fisherman about the opening timings this yr and you will get the same answer (we were given tides that just aren't fishable and when we were getting into fish it was at the end of the opening) .  Most boats caught in the range of 200 or less some even less then 80 some lucky ones caught more but for the most part it was location.  dropping the net when tides are not right the river can be full of fish and you catch nothing or just a couple.  exception being last year that was nuts. anyways sockeye season is winding down pinks will be here in a week or two the test catches are rising for pinks in johnstone strait.

penn

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 07:45:47 AM »

Another area E opening scheduled for next Tuesday , this time for 6 or more hours .

penn

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 07:48:45 AM »

not to start an argument but saying anything over 4lbs will get caught and die during these openings is not entirely true the net is made to catch sockeye and it depends on the mesh size we obviously get by-catches but for the most part just sockeye.  sturgeon are caught and release promptly.  You ask any Area E gillnet fisherman about the opening timings this yr and you will get the same answer (we were given tides that just aren't fishable and when we were getting into fish it was at the end of the opening) .  Most boats caught in the range of 200 or less some even less then 80 some lucky ones caught more but for the most part it was location.  dropping the net when tides are not right the river can be full of fish and you catch nothing or just a couple.  exception being last year that was nuts. anyways sockeye season is winding down pinks will be here in a week or two the test catches are rising for pinks in johnstone strait.
None the less , most of us who have fished for sockeye for years know that the result for the sport fishing crowd is an almost complete dead zone for 2-3 days afterward .

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 08:07:22 AM »

most of us who have fished for sockeye for years know that the result for the sport fishing crowd

Anyone else find the humour in this sentence?

But yes, ANY commercial opening will have an impact on the fishery just as those who go out with a rod and reel will have an affect; albiet to a lesser degree.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 12:13:38 PM »

But yes, ANY commercial opening will have an impact on the fishery just as those who go out with a rod and reel will have an affect; albiet to a lesser degree.

I must agree, I did. ;D
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 01:49:23 PM »

the seiners are out to day for 5 days outside the river this will scoop up the adams fish holding in georgia strait. the river will be short of fish next week.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 03:41:07 PM »

You know it's a darn shame how we manage our fisheries.  For those salmon that survived getting past the nets and gauntlet of lines in the Fraser River,  I hear there is another surprise for them. FNs are allowed to use gill netters to  catch them in Kamloops Lake. It is a wonder we have any salmon at all in this province.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 03:50:39 PM by dennyman »

booters

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 06:57:46 PM »

You know what, last two years i have had the experience to travel the Fraser from 22 to just beyond Harrison River. I was surprised to see the numbe3r of nets set in every nook and crannyy so to speak and to see the nets hauled in with Socks. My point is I dont feel the least bit ashamed of my twice annual trip to catch 2 Sockey per day if Im lucky. Flossing you say ,so what, it is what it is and it aint netting is it? By the way if I can FLOSS,the art of, manipulating a leader through the mouths of fish in order to hook my 2 FISH limit per trip,so what? Nets versus Flossing,you do the math.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 07:06:26 PM »

You know it's a darn shame how we manage our fisheries.  For those salmon that survived getting past the nets and gauntlet of lines in the Fraser River,  I hear there is another surprise for them. FNs are allowed to use gill netters to  catch them in Kamloops Lake. It is a wonder we have any salmon at all in this province.

i believe it is actually white commercial fisherman contracted out to net fish for the FN.... they have 2 seine boats at the mouth of the thompson and little shuswap too...
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

penn

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »

I was trying not to slander those who food fish for sockeye with some sort of broad brush label . Does that help you ? I know that all sorts come out for sockeye , many of them decent human beings . If you would like to debate some sort of ethics issue in fishing , in reality there is no such thing as "sport" fishing . No fish is ever on an even playing field with you to make it a "sport" . No fish ever knowingly challenges you to some sort of a duel , well except maybe some big shark while you are in it's element .
As far as ethical reasons for fishing , if that's what you would like to think of yourself as, there is only one that comes to mind and that is to feed yourself or your family . It's just like hunting - no trophies .