Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye in the Harrison  (Read 2554 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Sockeye in the Harrison
« on: August 19, 2011, 03:59:44 PM »

I noticed Rodney's posting of the sockeye opening in the Harrison. What techniques would work in order to target the sockeye in this system?  I'm assuming fly fishing would be possible . What type of flies would be suitable?  I've caught them in salt water but have never fished for them in fresh water. I did a search on the net but could not find much. Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:48:36 PM by JBB »
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Sockeye in the Harrison
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »

I would try drifting red or pink krill under a float. Fish over by Kilby parking lot.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 12:56:17 AM »

last time i saw pics there is alot of water in the Harrison river which isnt leading much explorable shoreline however i think its been about a week since the photos i saw
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 08:02:50 AM »

was at Kilby yesterday for some caching and a swim, lots of water, lots of nets

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 10:04:42 AM »

"Anglers are reminded FN FSC fishery is underway in all areas of the Harrison"

DFO even said in that notice that we should be mindful of the FN gear and not to get tangled up in the nets...I don't know if fishing beside gillnets is my thing

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »

It says to use patience and diligence to avoid gear conflict in this area...lol...must be bad if DFO is warning us...

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 08:45:04 AM »

I went for a look on Saturday morning and you are right about the high water and lack of fishable shoreline.  The FN nets don't seem to be causing any problem. I only saw two nets below the highway bridge and boat traffic in and out of Kilby was not being affected. I did not see any signs of fish movement and so I spent some time playing with a spey rod and getting ready for the pinks.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »

I would try drifting red or pink krill under a float. Fish over by Kilby parking lot.
Many , I mean many  :P years ago the Harrison opened for  Sockeye all the way top Harrison Lake . We anchored just above the HWY 7 bridge . I used a 2.5 oz. banana weight and a 5 foot leader and a pro cured red krill . With the strong current the bait was a good distance out the back of the boat . We sat and shot the bull for a while , then " ZINGO " my reel started screaming out line , I grabbed the rod out of the rod holder and " it was on " . After a good battle we landed a nice Sockeye  . We set up again , and sure enough with the splashing and fighting going on a dam seal shows up spying on us . Well , a bit after the seal shows I get another zing on the reel " fish on " . The battle didn't last long as the seal decided it was a good time to piss me off and chased my sockeye down and grabbed it . Still with the hook in the Sockeyes mouth , the seal takes off taking the mono with it in tow. I had to snap my line before it spooled me off . The seal on the other hand , just to #$%^ me off more came over close to the boat and started to play with the sockeye flipping it around , tossing it , just having a great ol time  ::) . Any way we thought it was time to go as it would surely happen again . Sorry , I just had to tell ya's , got a little carried away . Cheers  ;D .
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:43:42 PM by armytruck »
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 02:15:44 PM »

That sounds like a fun day on the water. 
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.