Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: for those who are against flossing  (Read 14656 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: for those who are against flossing
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »

The complete thread title was supposed to be:

"for those who are against flossing their teeth while commercial fishing for toxic whales"

also known as bitchen and fishen
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »

Get your fly rod and throw chironomids  at rising sockeyes all day. You will have satisfied your need to keep all your fishing related activities narrowly defined as a 'sport'. You will also be buying your sockeyes at Safeway.

At least you got the "fly rod" part right, and no, not the one's with T-14's and weighted down fly's attached to it either. That's just a cooler way to floss for some guys. ::)

A simple slime line on the StCroix #6 single hander and a few patterns that have done well for me in the past is all I use.  I definitely have to work for them, but I get my share, along with the ones given to me by a commercial friend of course. No Safeway and no flossing needed in this house.

DaCount

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 09:04:12 PM »

who sport fishes for sockeye?  They are not a sport fish!  If you don't like bottom bouncing, go use gear in the vedder, catch as many pink (not sport fish either) as you want, and call yourself a sport fishermen.   

I, on the other hand, love the taste of fresh sockeye and catch them to eat.  For those who catch sockeye for sport, you are merely catching a fish, stressing it, potentially injuring it and killing it and then releasing it to die.

I don't know what you sport fish for but I tend to stay away from sport fishing sockeye, pinks, and even chum (due to low population in the vedder).   

adecadelost

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 09:58:49 AM »

who sport fishes for sockeye?  They are not a sport fish!  If you don't like bottom bouncing, go use gear in the vedder, catch as many pink (not sport fish either) as you want, and call yourself a sport fishermen.   

I, on the other hand, love the taste of fresh sockeye and catch them to eat.  For those who catch sockeye for sport, you are merely catching a fish, stressing it, potentially injuring it and killing it and then releasing it to die.

I don't know what you sport fish for but I tend to stay away from sport fishing sockeye, pinks, and even chum (due to low population in the vedder).   

So what is your definition of a "sport fish"?  I would argue that sockeye are one of the more challenging sport fish out there as they are not as easy to get to bite.
I would also argue that it's not the fish that makes it sporting but the angling method that differentiates between sport fishing and meat fishing.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »

$22 at Fisherman's Wharf yesterday, this is what they looked like, a little off topic but cheap to buy them when you consider gas but then I will drive a hundred miles one way for a few jack. ;D

I filmed this yesterday at Stevenson on the Fisherman's wharf at a
Commercial boat with Max, he knows his fish too  :-)

http://youtu.be/dCxtwo5AIrU
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:26:26 PM by chris gadsden »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 05:16:15 PM »

--I believe the intended question was can you actually catch sockeye.

--From my experience as a kokanut... pursuer of the sometimes not so little cousin of the sockeye. I say yes... they can be caught.
--I fished for spawning kokanee in a controlled experiment... we could see the fish thus no doubt if they were snagged, flossed or caught..
--My definition of caught is they actively pursued the lure.. bit at it and were hooked in the mouth.
--I used various small spinners orange and red with single barbless hooks and observed fish chase bite and be hooked and released.
--I also observed others catch kokanee on a small orange fly and small spoons.

--Several fish were... snagged or flossed... especially in the early days of the experiment, primarily becuase those fishing did not believe they could actually catch the kokanee... we soon dialed in to catching.. significantly reducing snagging and flossing to the point where the vast majority of fish were caught.

--I don't think it is a big leap to assume that sockeye could also be caught if that is what you choose to do.

adecadelost

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »

--I don't think it is a big leap to assume that sockeye could also be caught if that is what you choose to do.

Just ask the many people targeting red springs this year on the vedder who found themselves into several sockeye each day.

ribolovac02

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »

I concider myself a "sport" fisherman I generally cacth and release the odd time kill for table fair,I dont floss it dosnt make me happy,saying that couse I dont want to cofuse people before I ask this question.

What in this conversation about"ETHICS" and sport fishing makes you think in any way that "sportfishing" no matter what techincue you use to catch a fish is "ETHICAL" to begin with?

lude98r

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 10:19:30 PM »

Every Year Blah Blah Blah

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 10:43:46 PM »

I concider myself a "sport" fisherman I generally cacth and release the odd time kill for table fair,I dont floss it dosnt make me happy,saying that couse I dont want to cofuse people before I ask this question.

What in this conversation about"ETHICS" and sport fishing makes you think in any way that "sportfishing" no matter what techincue you use to catch a fish is "ETHICAL" to begin with?

--I like to use conveniently nice sounding words to describe my fishing... I am a selective harvester...  that is I catch fish to eat... I release non target species or those not in the size I wish to keep. As I have a recration license I follow the recreational fishing limits and catch regulations..  As I only keep a few fish I mainly use single barbless.. for holding power sickle or circle hooks.
--Having said that I'm not all that pure as I sometimes fish the kettle which in most sections is catch and release only. I'll call that practicing.
--I'm not a vegetarian but do enjoy a garden fresh meal and can live without meat or fish if I have to .
--I try not to get to hung up on what others do except when they break the existing regulations. If I do not like a current regulation I do my best to get it changed by convincing fishing clubs to support resolutions to change and squawking as much as possible about it... but with constructive alternatives to the regulation given.
--I believe we can only define ourselvess so try not to get to hung up on what others think but will try to conscider their comments. I try, maybe not always succesful to not use the word ethical as a sharp stick to poke someone with. 

The_Other_Gman

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 06:46:14 PM »

I think the entire arguement is too far simplified.  For me the issue has never been flossing sockeye on the Fraser or not.  I accept there is a niche for flossing sockeye on the Fraser.  I don't participate not because I'm a purist but because standing shoulder to shoulder with 50-100 guys isn't fishing to me.  To me fishing is some peace and quiet on the water and catching a fish is a bonus.  For me the problem is the when the combat fishing, got to get my fish mentality moves to smaller rivers.

I grew up fishing and if some guy came and setup within 25 feet of you on the river he was at best pushing his luck and he knew it.  These days you get people who walk up and start fishing right beside you without a "how do you do" before they start casting across your line to get to the hole you were at first.  And let's not forget the fact they are fishing with an insanely long leader and with or without of float are hitting the bottom so often that within an hour you're going to have 3 pieces of lead, hooks, and line messing up your hole too.  Oh and dude, pick up your garbage.

If someone wants to go floss some sox on the Fraser I have no problem.  Just know that that form of fishing is an anomaly and not the norm when you come to where I'm fishing.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 10:37:11 PM »

You need to go fishing dude !!, what does commercial fishing have to do with flossing sockeye ??

Commercial fishing is an industry that feeds the world abroad, ethics are to be left to sport, end of story  ::)

Flossing fish ?? Not sport and not commercial, it's in a category all by itself and I don't care to partake in it personally.

I believe on our fishing license it's called recreational not sports.

Burbot

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 10:21:33 AM »

I wonder how many of the snaggers sockeye end up freezer burnt?

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 03:55:32 PM »

Every Year Blah Blah Blah
X2 This Horse gets beaten to death every year.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »

Unfortunately flossing is becoming a go to method for getting fish outside of the usual sockeye opening. I recently witnessed a guy trying to floss with his expensive center pin set up in the lower Fraser. He saw another old guy like himself snagging pinks and it put him in "fever mode". The other guy was giving him pointers. He ignored the fact that I was catching them on lures because the other guy had more fish on. But I ended up landing the same amount.

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?