Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: for those who are against flossing  (Read 14522 times)

top fuel

for those who are against flossing
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »

There is so much negative dicusion about flossing,  I was wondering if those against, fish for soxs. and if so enlighten on how.

chronic_topdawg

Re: for those who are against flossing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:38:15 AM »

No Kiddin, share

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:05:22 AM »

There is so much negative dicusion about flossing,  I was wondering if those against, fish for soxs. and if so enlighten on how.
Been discussed for years on this and other forums, no need to rehash. ::)

roeman

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:53:39 AM »

Been discussed for years on this and other forums, no need to rehash. ::)
So I guess we wont be seeing another video of Peg Leg or the scale bar on here ever again from you.

As far as another way of catching sockeye in the Fraser, BB is the only productive way that I have seen.
Are you fishin or catchin

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »

So I guess we wont be seeing another video of Peg Leg or the scale bar on here ever again from you.

As far as another way of catching sockeye in the Fraser, BB is the only productive way that I have seen.

There has to be a point where we weigh the relationship between "productive" and "ethical"

J
- John A.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »

There has to be a point where we weigh the relationship between "productive" and "ethical"

J

Commercial fishing is productive.......  is it ethical?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »

Commercial fishing is productive.......  is it ethical?

You need to go fishing dude !!, what does commercial fishing have to do with flossing sockeye ??

Commercial fishing is an industry that feeds the world abroad, ethics are to be left to sport, end of story  ::)

Flossing fish ?? Not sport and not commercial, it's in a category all by itself and I don't care to partake in it personally.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:11:49 AM by Bently »

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 11:22:34 AM »

Commercial fishing is productive.......  is it ethical?

Well there are ethical avenues.  Unfortunately, ethical and profitable seem to be mutually exclusive in the minds of the commercial fishermen.  But, quite frankly, that isn't an industry I know enough about to really make judgement either way.  I've heard good things about purse seining in Oregon, but again I can only remember bits and pieces.  Also, I know that Alaska has limited the by-catch of chinook salmon to 25,000lb's, and when that number is reached the Pollock fishery is closed. 

My limited knowledge of the commercial fishery aside, I think that as sport anglers we need to examine our methods in a more critical light.  I do not believe that a method that is blatantly snagging is sporting at all...where is the sport in that?  So either you are a sportfisherman who targets fish in a sporting and environmentally sound manner, or you are somebody who forgoes ethics and tosses big ol' betties and monster leaders to fill the freezer?  My opinion.

J
- John A.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 01:24:51 PM »

In the context of this fishery, I find the use of the word "ethics" to be interesting.  Ethics, the law, right and wrong, absolute ethics vs personal values...great conversation topic.

Alaskans are allowed to dip net for sockeye. For example,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baDGJGv05Pc  Is this ethical?

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »

Alaskans are allowed to dip net for sockeye.

Their also allowed to snag fish, using monster treble hooks with weight on the shaft {no wool needed}, just as long as their in the river system, not the ocean {but basically a rocks throw away from it}. They stand on the breakwater's looking down at the river and WHAM !!

I watched guys hauling in 40+ lb chinnook when I was fishing halibut out of Seward, Alaska.

Should have seen some of the rods they were using too!! As big around as your wrist with spinning reels the size of footballs, something else I tell ya.  ::)

DaCount

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 02:02:58 PM »

Ethics be left to sport fishing?  lol.  Commercial fisherman should be held to the highest regard with respect to ethics...if not more so than sport fisherman.  The impact your nets place on the sockeye population are far more damaging than the mere 2 sockeye I retain this entire year from bottom bouncing/"flossing".  Furthermore, i see know difference what so ever between flossing or using a net.  Both are methods used to merely harvest meat. At least I harvest only what I consume. 

Ethics be left to sport fishing...lol.  Perhaps we should target the little guy instead of the corporations dumping toxic wastes or the japanese whaling fleets killing whales at will...right?  I mean, they are feeding and providing material goods abroad...right? lol

And as far as flossing goes...ask all the sport fishing guides what method they use and teach their clients when sockeye fishing!

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 02:10:13 PM »

Ethics be left to sport fishing?  lol.  Commercial fisherman should be held to the highest regard with respect to ethics...if not more so than sport fisherman.  The impact your nets place on the sockeye population are far more damaging than the mere 2 sockeye I retain this entire year from bottom bouncing/"flossing".  Furthermore, i see know difference what so ever between flossing or using a net.  Both are methods used to merely harvest meat. At least I harvest only what I consume. 

Ethics be left to sport fishing...lol.  Perhaps we should target the little guy instead of the corporations dumping toxic wastes or the japanese whaling fleets killing whales at will...right?  I mean, they are feeding and providing material goods abroad...right? lol

And as far as flossing goes...ask all the sport fishing guides what method they use and teach their clients when sockeye fishing!

Yes, Commerical fisherman should be but they aren't.  The point is that this isn't really "sport" fishing as much as it is meat fishing.  As far as guiding services go, I'm not really 100% sure why you would need a guide to get you out flossing for sockeye but w/e...
- John A.

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »

Accept that if you want sox outside of the chuck, then you are 'harvesting', by the only available method, not sport fishing.
Don't want to participate? Then don't.

Get your fly rod and throw chironomids  at rising sockeyes all day. You will have satisfied your need to keep all your fishing related activities narrowly defined as a 'sport'. You will also be buying your sockeyes at Safeway.

Does anyone really think that the average fisherman on here really relishes the thought of spending their afternoon flossing? If there was an alternative, if they would bite in fresh water, we'd use it. Just like we do for every other species of fish and salmon. And it would be far more enjoyable.

But don't take any wooden nickels from a guy who claims to be doing anything other than harvesting when it comes to sockeye. Flossing is, in effect, a micro-scale commercial fishery, 2 fish per day. No more sport involved than if you were hauling them in with a net.

Or one final way of looking at it: would you prefer that all sport fishermen were banned from flossing sockeyes? Thereby leaving 100% of the run for the FN and commercial guys? Would that make you feel better?

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »

Blah Blah Blah, same ol' BS every year  ::)

The topic wasn't about commercial fishing, toxic waste, or even whaling for that matter.

Maybe you need to read the title again boys  ::)

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 02:40:28 PM »

Accept that if you want sox outside of the chuck, then you are 'harvesting', by the only available method, not sport fishing.
Don't want to participate? Then don't.

Get your fly rod and throw chironomids  at rising sockeyes all day. You will have satisfied your need to keep all your fishing related activities narrowly defined as a 'sport'. You will also be buying your sockeyes at Safeway.

Does anyone really think that the average fisherman on here really relishes the thought of spending their afternoon flossing? If there was an alternative, if they would bite in fresh water, we'd use it. Just like we do for every other species of fish and salmon. And it would be far more enjoyable.

But don't take any wooden nickels from a guy who claims to be doing anything other than harvesting when it comes to sockeye. Flossing is, in effect, a micro-scale commercial fishery, 2 fish per day. No more sport involved than if you were hauling them in with a net.

Or one final way of looking at it: would you prefer that all sport fishermen were banned from flossing sockeyes? Thereby leaving 100% of the run for the FN and commercial guys? Would that make you feel better?

You've missed the point.

If I want sockeye, I do target them in the salt.  Simple as that.  And you describe the "average fisherman's" decision as one that is life-or-death.  I don't enjoy the flossing, I don't think it's very sporting, so I don't participate.  I would agree with you that this is a micro-scale commercial fishery.

And "banned" from flossing sockeyes - no.  I can't control the populous, and as much as the DFO may try, they cannot either.  People are going to floss for sockeye.  Also, making me feel better is not the issue here so I don't think that is relevant.

Blah Blah Blah, same ol' BS every year  ::)

The topic wasn't about commercial fishing, toxic waste, or even whaling for that matter.

Maybe you need to read the title again boys  ::)

Amen
- John A.