Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sport Snagging  (Read 38327 times)

Burbot

Re: Sport Snagging
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2011, 04:19:55 AM »

Sandman you are wasting your time arguing with that guy. He is always like that. He just loves to argue for the sake of arguing.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2011, 06:57:31 AM »

Sandman, I prefer to put things in my own words and don't feel the need to repeat myself.

I don't have a problem with your values, I do have a problem with how you present your values.

I am not asking you to repeat yourself, I am asking you to clarify and explain yourself.  You say you "have a problem with how [ I ] present [ my ] values."  I am just wondering how I am presenting my values in a way that you dislike.  As I mentioned above, I did not insult you, it was you who suggested I was "puffing up my feathers".

I was asking questions in a "civil" manner, it just seems that you do not like my questions.  If your argument is that flossing is acceptable because, while it is snagging, it is snagging in the general mouth area which is "legal".  It is also "necessary" when fishing for sockeye in the Fraser where the fish cannot see your presentation.  Under this line of reasoning, does it really matter if the fish is "snagged" in the mouth (flossed) or is snagged in the tail?  If snagging in the mouth is necessary because the fish won't bite the hook willingly (because it cannot see the presentation), but I want that fish bad enough to hook it anyway "for my freezer,"  does the location of the hook really matter?  A simple change in the regulations could make snagging Fraser sockeye legal, but would create a clear distinction between that practice used on the Fraser River bars for sockeye and the methods used for all other species and on all other waters.

Try to reply in a civil manner.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:59:59 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2011, 07:55:39 AM »

A simple change in the regulations could make snagging Fraser sockeye legal, but would create a clear distinction between that practice used on the Fraser River bars for sockeye and the methods used for all other species and on all other waters.

I believe the regulations are already really clear as to the definition of snagging.

I'm sure that if you re-read my comments you will see that I've already answered your questions.

The phrase "puffing up your own feathers" obviously has you a little miffed. Try to get over it. Asking me the same questions over and over will not get you different results....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2011, 07:58:29 AM »

Sandman you are wasting your time arguing with that guy. He is always like that. He just loves to argue for the sake of arguing.

I've always understood that the reason it's called a "discussion forum" is because there are different opinions. If everyone agreed with each other what would be the point of discussing anything?  ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2011, 05:37:17 PM »

The phrase "puffing up your own feathers" obviously has you a little miffed. Try to get over it.

I am always "miffed" at hypocrisy (ie: engaging in petty insults while lauding "civil" discussion).

I'm sure that if you re-read my comments you will see that I've already answered your questions.

If you re-read my questions and your answers you will see you really have not answered them at all:

I asked: "So would you accept ripping a bare weighted hook through the Fraser's water to snag a sockeye "for the freezer"?"

You responded with: "I would support a rule that said as soon as you land your 2 sockeye using methods allowed under the regulations, you must leave the river."

That really does not answer the question now does it?  A simple yes or no  would do, followed by an explanation of what you saw as the difference between snagging a fish in the mouth or snagging it in the tail (other than the obvious location) if you chose to answer "no".  All I was looking for was an explanation of why you think people should be allowed to "floss" Sockeye (snag in the mouth) but not snag sockeye (snag in another part other than the mouth) since you have already equated flossing with snagging in a net. You clearly are not someone who is trying to argue that the fish you are flossing are biting the hook as you have said you would not dream of using the same method on the Vedder "where the fish bite and the water is clean enough for the fish to be able to see a presentation. "

The reason I am seeking your response to the question is that you are a person who has argued that the flossing of sockeye should be allowed as it is a "meat" fishery, but you have also admitted that the method you are using is clearly hooking the fish without inducing a "bite."  This method is currently "legal" as the definitions of "foul" hooking is a hook set outside of the mouth.  This makes the method used to catch sockeye (bottom bouncing with long leaders) a legal method of fishing on any water and one that we are seeing used more and more on other systems where it is not "necessary" (like it is on the dirty Fraser) but certainly more effective since the fish do not have to choose to bite the hook.

I have expressed a desire to see the regulations of the Fraser Sockeye fishery changed to reflect that the majority of sockeye taken by "angling" (using a rod and line, not nets) are hooked in a method that is effectively snagging the fish in the mouth.  By changing the definition of foul hooking to include a fish hooked on the outside of the mouth (point of the hook penetrating from the outside in), and to allow the foul hooking of sockeye during a specified opening (requiring a "snagging" permit), we could ensure that the use of long leader bottom bouncing stays on the Fraser where it belongs.

Therefore, I am asking you, irregardless of the current wording of the regulations:

1. Does the location of the "snag" make it more or less "foul"?  That is, if you know the fish is hooked in the mouth despite having not pursued and bitten the hook of its own accord, does it make it less "foul" than if the hook was in its tail or back?

...and if you DO see a difference (other than the current regulation allows one but not the other) could you please explain it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:46:43 PM by Sandman »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2011, 07:16:42 PM »

When I finish reading one of your posts, I feel like I need to take a nap.......  I'm also uncertain whether I agree or disagree with you.

My comments have always referenced the current regulations and how they are being enforced. I have been checked by CO's over the years and have never received an infraction ticket. I'm just not interested in debating what the regulations could, should or might be.

When and if the regulations change I will certainly abide by them.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2011, 08:38:32 PM »

When I finish reading one of your posts, I feel like I need to take a nap.......  I'm also uncertain whether I agree or disagree with you.

My comments have always referenced the current regulations and how they are being enforced. I have been checked by CO's over the years and have never received an infraction ticket. I'm just not interested in debating what the regulations could, should or might be.

Fair enough... I often take a nap after finishing writing a response to one of your posts...

Would anyone else like to respond since AF chooses to take the 5th?

My interest here is that regulations must evolve with the methodology of fishermen.  I see flossing itself as a response to the regulations, a method that evolved to effectively get around that part of the regulations where the current definition of "foul" hooking is lacking.  The good people that wrote the current regulations likely had not anticipated that a fish "hooked in the mouth" could be hooked that way without having bitten the hook.  Just as we see those "white water flossers" standing over a pocket and intentionally getting the hook near the fish's mouth and setting it into or near the mouth, long leader flossers have developed a method that ensures the "snag" occurs in or near the mouth as the leader slides through the jaw.  I would argue that such a method, while currently "legal" is not very "sporting".  I would, therefore, suggest that a change in the "BC Sport Fishing Regulations" as well as the BC Freshwater Fishing Regulations is needed.  In addition to a clarification that a fish "hooked in the mouth" must be hooked "from the inside out,"  a gear restriction of a maximum leader length of 1m on a bottom bouncing rig (or sinking tip fly line) outside of a limited opening on the Fraser River during Sockeye season, and managed under a special permit (a surcharge stamp) should be implemented to ensure that this method does not expand beyond the Fraser Sockeye fishery.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:41:59 PM by Sandman »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »

As I stated before a few years ago we meet with Environment Minister Barry Penner to try to get some changes starting with the fish must be caught INSIDE the mouth. He thought it was good idea but those in the ministry talked him out of it being put in. It would not solve the problem completely we are now faced with in a big way with the sorry part as I have stated many times our young people are now learning flossing, snagging etc is the only way to fish, very sad.

Remember, if one flosses for sockeye on the Fraser they cannot really condemn what goes on in all our rivers for all species of salmon and steelhead by the same method, its all taking fish that are not biting, that's the bottom line. I know many will disagree with that statement but so be it.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »

As I stated before a few years ago we meet with Environment Minister Barry Penner to try to get some changes starting with the fish must be caught INSIDE the mouth. He thought it was good idea but those in the ministry talked him out of it being put in. It would not solve the problem completely we are now faced with in a big way with the sorry part as I have stated many times our young people are now learning flossing, snagging etc is the only way to fish, very sad.

Remember, if one flosses for sockeye on the Fraser they cannot really condemn what goes on in all our rivers for all species of salmon and steelhead by the same method, its all taking fish that are not biting, that's the bottom line. I know many will disagree with that statement but so be it.

Chris,
one just has to go to a tackle shop during sockeye season and there they "will learn how to fish".
Last year during that sockeye madness I went to a tackle shop (that shall remain nameless) and asked what I should be using for sockeye.
Then guy tried to sell me hoochies, bouncing betties and explained to me how I should be trying to hook the salmon with a long leader and a big hook.
When I told him I wasn't interested in flossing fish he quickly left me and never came back.
He sure wan't intersted in the sale.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2011, 07:51:07 PM »

Chris,
one just has to go to a tackle shop during sockeye season and there they "will learn how to fish".
Last year during that sockeye madness I went to a tackle shop (that shall remain nameless) and asked what I should be using for sockeye.
Then guy tried to sell me hoochies, bouncing betties and explained to me how I should be trying to hook the salmon with a long leader and a big hook.
When I told him I wasn't interested in flossing fish he quickly left me and never came back.

When you asked what you should be using for sockeye in the Fraser did you expect him to show you a technique other than flossing?

While it is possible to catch sockeye other ways, the clarity of the Fraser river makes it very difficult for the sockeye to see a presentation. He probably left you because he realized that if you didn't floss for sockeye then there was no point of fishing in the Fraser for sockeye. There was no sale to make!

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2011, 02:02:34 AM »

the flossing and snagging threads just go in circles year after year, yikes man ::) ::) :( :( ....holmes*

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2011, 02:35:51 PM »

Would anyone else like to respond since AF chooses to take the 5th?

I don't think he's taking the 5th bud. He was pretty clear when he said:

Seems like his answer to your question ("So would you accept ripping a bare weighted hook through the Fraser's water to snag a sockeye "for the freezer"?") was 'yes, if it was legal.' At least that's what I took, "I would support a rule that said as soon as you land your 2 sockeye using methods allowed under the regulations, you must leave the river" to mean...

I've always understood that the reason it's called a "discussion forum" is because there are different opinions. If everyone agreed with each other what would be the point of discussing anything?  ::)

I think you've mixed up dicussing and debating ;) Discussion can simply involve the exchange of information, there need not be a difference of opinion, afaic.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »

I don't think he's taking the 5th bud. He was pretty clear when he said:
Seems like his answer to your question ("So would you accept ripping a bare weighted hook through the Fraser's water to snag a sockeye "for the freezer"?") was 'yes, if it was legal.' At least that's what I took, "I would support a rule that said as soon as you land your 2 sockeye using methods allowed under the regulations, you must leave the river" to mean...

I was referring to his comment:

...  I'm also uncertain whether I agree or disagree with you.

In which he bowed out of a debate over changing those regulations.    I suspect you are right about his acceptance of "snagging" if it were "allowed under the regulations", but I am not so sure that he admitted as much.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2011, 03:26:25 PM »

I was referring to his comment:

In which he bowed out of a debate over changing those regulations.    I suspect you are right about his acceptance of "snagging" if it were "allowed under the regulations", but I am not so sure that he admitted as much.

Sorry, I should have read the post more thoroughly :|

Maybe'll do that before heading off to bed, haha.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »

Chris,
It is a very big money maker for the shops now and they just feed on the frenzy making big dollars, that what help keep the sockeye openings too as the big lobby is there. As I have said before to me I don't need a fish that bad that I have to snag it.

Even some top notch anglers now do this and just justify it by pointing at F/N and the commercial boys, I guess they have to have some excuse to let them sleep at night. ::)

PS Today while visiting Rodney at KWB  ;D ;D I see an person just above where I was standing with a coho salmon on, I know most time the way it is fighting if it is fouled hooked. I walk up to him as he brings it ashore and I see it is hooked under the chin. As I walk away I say you have fouled hooked it and cannot keep it, to my surprise he let it go, maybe he should not of as he had pulled it onto the sand and it covered itself and gills in sand. ??? ::) :'( :(