Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garibaldi Lake, August 12th 2011  (Read 3872 times)

hickman

Garibaldi Lake, August 12th 2011
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »

After fishing for pinks in the AM, decided to have even more fun. PM run up to Garibaldi Lake. Gorgeous day up there!
Hooked into 8 nice big trout - kept 3 in the 2lb. range. Caught on home made beer cap lure and spinner. Fish seem desperate because of long winter and mediocre spring/ summer.
No GONG up there other than a few hikers & campers.

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Garibaldi Lake
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »

After fishing for pinks in the AM, decided to have even more fun. PM run up to Garibaldi Lake. Gorgeous day up there!
Hooked into 8 nice big trout - kept 3 in the 2lb. range. Caught on home made beer cap lure and spinner. Fish seem desperate because of long winter and mediocre spring/ summer.
No GONG up there other than a few hikers & campers.

Are you saying you ran up to Garibaldi Lake...wow you must be in great shape.
Not all those who wander are lost

hickman

Re: Garibaldi Lake, August 12th 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »

Yes, I ran up/ power walked where it is too steep! I go lite and fast!
I use it as a workout and reward myself with probably the nicest and cleanest trout around. Will take some pics next time (possibly Tuesday).
It's a nice later afternoon thing to do... given you live in Squamish or Whistler...

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 11:19:03 AM »

Yes, I ran up/ power walked where it is too steep! I go lite and fast!
I use it as a workout and reward myself with probably the nicest and cleanest trout around. Will take some pics next time (possibly Tuesday).
It's a nice later afternoon thing to do... given you live in Squamish or Whistler...

How long does it take you?  I have not been up in over 20 years.  I seem to recall quite a grind at the end.
Not all those who wander are lost

hickman

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:35:06 PM »

Takes me 1:20 hours on a good day and 50 minutes down! Fast & efficient - want to maximize fishing time ;-)

hickman

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:11:06 PM »

too easy  ;D. Mamquam Lake is on the list, but still too much snow. That would be a great day trip fro some crazy fish.

bcguy

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 09:30:29 PM »

too easy  ;D. Mamquam Lake is on the list, but still too much snow. That would be a great day trip fro some crazy fish.

I have thought about this before, do you think there would much time to fish if you made this a day tripper from Diamond head parking. I think maybe an hr or two fishing, tops, sure would be one h**l of a workout
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 09:45:11 PM »

I would suggest at least an overnighter if you want to fish Mamquam Lake. 

hickman

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 06:32:06 AM »

I have done Mamquam Lake and back in a day but it is a death march. Overnight would be best, leaves enough time explore the entire lake. Trail conditions around Ring Creek can suck up some time.

Pat AV

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 01:12:54 AM »

Mamquam is so nice, I can't see running up there for a quick day fish to be worth it. We were in there for 4 nights and it still seemed to be too soon to leave.

If you want a couple other good day trip hike in's try Flora and Pierce both have bigger fish than Garibaldi from my experiences.

You can make a loop through the back side of Flora around to the post creek trail and hit Greendrop and Lindeman on the way out. Another bonus of taking that way out is that you get to hike through blueberry alley, although that may not be a bonus to a super speed hiker as it will probably slow you down some.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:17:56 AM by Pat AV »
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav