Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kamloops Lake  (Read 9761 times)

coho65

Kamloops Lake
« on: August 06, 2011, 02:50:10 PM »

Just finished reading an article in the Kamloops Daily News that the local natives will be having there commercial fishery going in the next few weeks.With salmon numbers being so low it is absolutely shocking that this is being allowed.With interior salmon stocks a fraction of what they used to be i just dont understand the logic in this fishery.....this isnt a cerimonial fishery either,its a full scale commercial operation that takes place at the mouth of kamloops lake.

quill

Re: Kamloops Lake
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 04:18:49 PM »

They're selectively fishing for chinooks destined for the North and South Thompson systems which have been rebuilding over the past decade or so. There's no conservation concern here. Both rivers are open in season for sport harvest of chinook.

Personally I'm happy to see the economic opportunity for Interior people.   

coho65

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »

i have seen first hand the SELECTIVE gill net fishery......if stocks are rebounding why are quotas being reduced and seasons shortened?With the closure of the Clearwater hatchery several years ago chinook stocks haVE DRAMATICALLY DECREASED in the north thompson,fished it for 30 years......i dont even bother any more.dont think this doesnt effect the lml chinook fishery on the fraser either....it does.sorry to disagree with you quill,you forgot to mention it is also a commercial sockeye fishery.....

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 05:24:19 PM »

i have seen first hand the SELECTIVE gill net fishery......if stocks are rebounding why are quotas being reduced and seasons shortened?With the closure of the Clearwater hatchery several years ago chinook stocks haVE DRAMATICALLY DECREASED in the north thompson,fished it for 30 years......i dont even bother any more.dont think this doesnt effect the lml chinook fishery on the fraser either....it does.sorry to disagree with you quill,you forgot to mention it is also a commercial sockeye fishery.....

It is because the First Nations get first dibs on the salmon, so even if there is not enough for a rec or commercial opening, or need for a "reduction in quotas," there may be deemed enough for a First Nations opening, even a commercial one.  You may not like that they get the first openings, but I am sure they did not like being forced to live on reservations, attend residential schools and have their language and culture exterminated.  Economic opportunities on reservations are limited, and First Nations still have some of the highest poverty and unemployment rates in the country.  These fisheries are the difference between feeding and clothing their children a little extra that year.  I think they deserve it.
Not all those who wander are lost

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 06:34:37 PM »

It is because the First Nations get first dibs on the salmon, so even if there is not enough for a rec or commercial opening, or need for a "reduction in quotas," there may be deemed enough for a First Nations opening, even a commercial one.  You may not like that they get the first openings, but I am sure they did not like being forced to live on reservations, attend residential schools and have their language and culture exterminated.  Economic opportunities on reservations are limited, and First Nations still have some of the highest poverty and unemployment rates in the country.  These fisheries are the difference between feeding and clothing their children a little extra that year.  I think they deserve it.

but this is the modern world. as much as i hate to admit it.
if there are not enough salmon for "one group", then no one deserves any fish from that run. all people are suppose to be equal and have equal rights in canada .

to the OP, i agree... it shouldnt be allowed.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »

but this is the modern world. as much as i hate to admit it.
if there are not enough salmon for "one group", then no one deserves any fish from that run. all people are suppose to be equal and have equal rights in canada .

to the OP, i agree... it shouldnt be allowed.
Then I recommend you lobby your MP to get the charter changed (good luck with that).
The rights of natives to get first dibs on salmon is written into law, so by definition all people are NOT supposed to be equal and have equal rights.
That doesn't mean they are allowed to sell fish out of the back of a truck, but that is an enforcement problem.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 07:54:51 PM »

Then I recommend you lobby your MP to get the charter changed (good luck with that).
The rights of natives to get first dibs on salmon is written into law, so by definition all people are NOT supposed to be equal and have equal rights.
That doesn't mean they are allowed to sell fish out of the back of a truck, but that is an enforcement problem.

I know, we should all be outraged by this. Sadly, one would think that in canada everyone would (and should) have equal rights, despite whoever our ancestors were or where they lived. but sadly, this issue, like many others, most people cant be bothered with. :/

Kitimat65

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »

If they want rights to the fish they should fish like they did before right, >:( unreal

quill

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 09:51:49 PM »

I know, we should all be outraged by this. Sadly, one would think that in canada everyone would (and should) have equal rights, despite whoever our ancestors were or where they lived. but sadly, this issue, like many others, most people cant be bothered with. :/

Sure, but our country, Canada, was created by an act of violence on the First Nations (our ancestors took the land of their ancestors without "right").  Our king at the time recognized the inherent rights that the people living here had, and while he still claimed sovereignty over the land, he proclaimed that the First Nations must first surrender their rights before Europeans might occupy it.  Since the Governors of BC never bothered to do that, the First Nations of BC still maintain those rights and those rights include the right to the resources.  Until the Treaty Negotiation process is completed (and this is only with the people that WANT to participate in the treaty process), the First Nations will never truly be a "part" of Canada  (they had no say in Confederation like our ancestor did).  They will remain a subjected peoples. Once a treaty is reached and the manner in which these people become part of Canada is established (just as the individual provinces did) then these issues will be settled (although the outcome may not be what you or I personally would wish).

If they want rights to the fish they should fish like they did before right, >:( unreal

Why is that Kitimat?  You claim rights to your own traditions (be they democratic rights, legal rights, etc), but you are allowed to develop and change the means by which you exercise those rights.  You suggest that First Nations culture must remain static if they want to preserve it.  I suppose you feel the French in Quebec can only keep their language rights if they keep farming on seigneuries using medieval tools?  That makes no sense at all. 

Saying that we are are all born free and equal in dignity and rights is not the same as saying we are all born the same.  We are all different.  The biggest difference is between those of us descended from one of the founding cultures of Canada (British, French, First Nations) and those of us who are descended from immigrants who chose to come to Canada and to live under the rule of law here.  For the latter group, the issue is simple, we are bound by the Constitution of the country to which our ancestors chose to immigrate.  For the former groups it is not so simple except perhaps the British, whose culture dominated the new country so they got to impose their will on the rest of the people.  For the French (who were here before the British) and the First Nations (who were here before them both), the relationship with Canada is a complicated one.  While the French agreed to the conditions of Confederation, which included a continued recognition of Quebec as a distinct society (a recognition they had enjoyed since the Conquest in the same Proclamation that recognized aboriginal rights and which were later codified in the Quebec Act of 1774),  the failure of the other provinces to accept this distinction in the new Constitution Act of 1982 and in later agreements (Meech Lake, Charlottetown) is why we are currently country where one of our largest and most populous provinces has not signed the Constitution.  For the First Nations of BC, it is even worse.  It is because they were treated as unequal and inferior, that they were never given the opportunity (which every other citizen of this land was given, be they of British, French, or some other immigrant culture) to negotiate their entry into this country. They were denied that right back at a time when we might have coerced them into giving up their rights for a few  blankets, metal pots, and some grain.  Now they are educated and knowledgeable of their rights, and they now know the value of those rights that we want them to give up.  That is why we are in such a pickle.
Not all those who wander are lost

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »

hey typhoon - what section of the charter is that found in? im curious because im studying law

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 11:21:27 PM »

Also - if you guys say the FSC fishery helps the interior people economically, but it is illegal to sell fish out the back of trucks, how do they benefit from the fisheries if they arent allowed to sell them to people not of the nation?

grease line

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 02:15:29 AM »

They would be if white man hadn't wrecked the stocks.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 09:30:39 AM »

Also - if you guys say the FSC fishery helps the interior people economically, but it is illegal to sell fish out the back of trucks, how do they benefit from the fisheries if they arent allowed to sell them to people not of the nation?

--As far as I am aware and as suggested in the article this kamloops lake fishery is a legal commercial fishery with a quota that will be set based on the availability of fish..thus the fish will be sold in a legal local market.
--Similar sockeye fishery is slated for Osoyoos lk as well as a recreational opening. The commercial opening on Osoyoos is very limited number at this time and will only be increased as stock will allow.
--I can only see this as a positive step in fisheries management as it is less risky to harvest fish at kamloops lk or Osoyoos where the fish numbers will be better known than open ocean and  quota can be better managed. Also less risk of killing none target fish.
-- Better management should lead to more fish available for recreational fishing opening... we should be working together to enhance the fishery where possible for all users.

quill

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 10:34:42 AM »

From the 2011 SC integrated fisheries management plan (p.161)

5.5.1 SFC / Siska Partnership – In River Sockeye, Chinook and Pink Fisheries

The SFC / Siska partnership has submitted and Expression of Interest to the Pacific Integrated
Commercial Fisheries Initiative. Approval to move to business plan development for a
Commercial Fishing Enterprise has been granted with the intent to be operational for the 2011
season. Discussions are ongoing with groups participating in the partnership based on the
viability of individual fisheries in 2011. The 2011 feasibility fishery will build on previous year’s
demonstration fisheries and address the challenges involved in informing business plans for inriver
fisheries in the BC Interior where commercial fisheries are a new occurrence and much of
the processing and supporting infrastructure is still in development.

REGION - BC Interior
PARTICIPANTS – SFC / Siska Partnership – Secwepemc Fisheries Commission (SFC), Siska
Traditions Society and other partners to be determined.

LOCATION OF FISHERY -
1. SFC Chinook fishery – Kamloops Lake
2. SFC Sockeye fishery – Kamloops Lake, Thompson River (at Steelhead Park), potentially
locations further upstream dependant on fish quality
3. SFC Pink fishery – Kamloops Lake, Thompson River (at Steelhead Park),

GEAR TYPE –
1. SFC Chinook fishery – 8” mesh drift/set gill net
2. SFC Sockeye fishery – Beach seine and purse seine vessel(s) in lake
3. SFC Pink fishery – Beach seine and purse seine vessel(s) in lake

TIME FRAME - NOTE: All fishery time frames are estimates and final dates will be
determined according to in-season migration timing information.
1. SFC Chinook fishery – fishery will target on late summer South Thompson (41); potential
start date of Aug 15 for a six week fishery ending Sept. 30
2. SFC Sockeye fishery – fishery will target Fall – South Thompson sockeye; potential start
date of Aug 15 for a six week fishery ending Sept. 30
3. SFC Pink fishery – fishery will target on Fraser pinks; potential start date of Aug. 25 for a
five week fishery ending Sept. 30

ALLOCATION –
1. SFC Chinook fishery – The SFC Chinook allocation for 2011 will be expressed as a
percentage (%) share of Commercial Total Allowable Catch (CTAC) of Fraser chinook
salmon as determined pre-season.
2. SFC Sockeye fishery – allocation to be determined but will be expressed as a percentage
(%) share of Commercial Total Allowable Catch (CTAC) of Fraser sockeye.
3. SFC Pink fishery – allocation to be determined but will be expressed as a percentage (%)
share of Commercial Total Allowable Catch (CTAC) of Fraser pink.
MONITORING PLAN – These fisheries will be monitored using designated landing sites and
monitors for dockside validation of catch.

CONTACTS –
DFO: Dale Michie, BC Interior PICFI Coordinator, Phone: 250-851-4946
Email: dale.michie@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
SFC: Murray Ross, Director of Fisheries, Secwepemc Fisheries Commission
Phone: 250-828-2178, Email: mross@shuswapnation.org
Siska: Terry Raymond, CAO, Siska Indian Band
Phone: 250-455-2219, Email: terryr@hughes.net