Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: B.C. Liberal MLA John Les rips Environment Minister Terry Lake's incinerator dec  (Read 2421 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

I see it more that we have our local MLA looking out for his constituents.

I voted against John Les in the last election, but this effort on his part may garner him new respect.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

skaha

• Old Timer

"Les said he's not opposed to Metro Vancouver burning garbage in Gold River on Vancouver Island—the site of one proposal before the regional district. That's because this project wouldn't share the same airshed as residents of the Fraser Valley."

--Not at all I don't see this quoted statement from the article as being divisive at all... He doesn't really care about the environment just doesn't want it in his back yard.. I think that is consistent with current Liberal policy to keep your own selected clients happy at the expense of others.

--If burning of garbage is bad it is bad no matter where you put it.  I have heard the argument that they are using state of the art technology of the day but there is significant debate that the best technology of the day is still not acceptable.

--This kinda smells like the Weyerhaeuser pulp mill stack in Kamloops which was to have no odor or nasty pollutants given they were going to use the best technology of the day.  

-- Or the sewage odourless treatment Plant in Penticton that is state of the art . I believe one of the better decisions made by the Penticton Indian band was to not accept the plant on the Res and  let Penticton build it on their own land if it was going to be so good it should not be a problem to keep it in Penticton..

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

"Les said he's not opposed to Metro Vancouver burning garbage in Gold River on Vancouver Island—the site of one proposal before the regional district. That's because this project wouldn't share the same airshed as residents of the Fraser Valley."

--Not at all I don't see this quoted statement from the article as being divisive at all... He doesn't really care about the environment just doesn't want it in his back yard.. I think that is consistent with current Liberal policy to keep your own selected clients happy at the expense of others.

--If burning of garbage is bad it is bad no matter where you put it.  I have heard the argument that they are using state of the art technology of the day but there is significant debate that the best technology of the day is still not acceptable.

--This kinda smells like the Weyerhaeuser pulp mill stack in Kamloops which was to have no odor or nasty pollutants given they were going to use the best technology of the day. 

-- Or the sewage odourless treatment Plant in Penticton that is state of the art . I believe one of the better decisions made by the Penticton Indian band was to not accept the plant on the Res and  let Penticton build it on their own land if it was going to be so good it should not be a problem to keep it in Penticton..

I think we can all agree that burning garbage is bad!  ??? Suggesting John less doesn't care about the environment he lives in is just ridiculous! (I can't believe I'm defending John Les!  ;D)

What do you suggest we do with it? Pile it up? Dump it in the ocean?

The best solution would be to stop people from making garbage, but I'm sure we are all realistic enough to know that wouldn't work.

Burning garbage is the most realistic solution, and burning it in an area that disperses the pollutants better, like on the island is better than burning garbage in the Fraser Valley tunnel.....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

"I can't believe I'm defending John Les! "

hmmm .......ya right  ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

"I can't believe I'm defending John Les! "

hmmm .......ya right  ::)
He is just trying to protect his political hide here in the Valley as he knows his party is in trouble province wide, HST etc....

skaha

• Old Timer

--I'd like to see some of our the money's from our many environmental levies actually go to practical research on what to do with the garbage.
--Until recently we had a glass plant in the interior that supplied amongst other things wine bottles.. thus we had a glass recycle system in place.
--Guess what... one of the major wineries decided it was cheaper to get their bottles from China and further to wholesale these to other wineries..I guess they haven't read about problems with toxic packaging from China.
--Now the glass works here is closed and we now put glass in general garbage... I am sure instead of saving a few cents on bottles that the local wineries could and should have indicated that they were using local produced bottles as part of a marketing strategy.
--I try to support these initiatives but I can't if they don't exist.
-I am not allowed to burn in the Okanagan Air Shed thus I now have to take tree branches to the dump...at least they are separated there and composted... when I drop off a load I usually pick up and pay for a load of compost.

--tire Levey... I thought we were going to get a whole industry of recycled paving bricks also crushed local plastics for fence posts.
--I bought some posts made from recycled plastic.. still have my house sign in one... haven't seen the product again.
--I try to do what I can and support others that do..I'm no Saint... I have an aluminium boat .. aluminium industry and production is one of the large energy users..

--All I'm indicating is if incineration is viable then there should be no issue in having it in the back yard of the people that create it.