Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cohn commission dfo statement  (Read 3225 times)

ynot

• Old Timer
cohn commission dfo statement
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »

DFO Aboriginal advisor barry huber states that only natives have the right to fish,the rest of us its a privilege. see page b2 in todays vancouver sun. no wonder we have problems in the fishery with dumb statements like that from the very people who are running the show.

fisher24

Re: cohn commission dfo statement
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »

what are you talking about i have a right to and its with a barbless hook and limited seasons and a quota on everthing i catch but im fine with that just dont hook your nets on my line when i am bar fishing cause i will cause a problem

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:42:22 PM »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:15:43 AM »

I am so honoured to have that privilege ;) :-X

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:55:01 AM »

Absolutely mind blowing that the people in charge could'nt give a rat's my friend about our rights or should I say non-rights to recreationally
fish. DFO is the Biggest joke next to the RCMP here in BC. It's no wonder we see the pillaging and plundering of the Fraser year after year when natives are given the green light to do whatever they choose.

Crazy article. I still can't believe what I just read.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 04:26:18 PM »

Maybe Blatchford should review Canada’s Constitution Act before including her personal commentary in the article, but that's too much work for some journalists these days.

Sam6140

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »

This is probably a dumb question, but how come hooks have to be barbless if people are targeting salmon and are going to keep them??    I never keep fish myself, but I'm still curious. 

Sam6140

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 07:57:38 PM »

Perhaps it's like anything that requires a license.  It's a privilege if a license is required (ie. Driving). 

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 08:02:48 PM »

Maybe Blatchford should review Canada’s Constitution Act before including her personal commentary in the article, but that's too much work for some journalists these days.
Blatchford is at the end of her career; this article is an example of that.
I have known and worked with Barry Huber for 25 years; nobody cares more for the well being of FN, and the salmon they depend on for much of their culture, than him.  He said what he believes.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 08:43:39 PM »

This is probably a dumb question, but how come hooks have to be barbless if people are targeting salmon and are going to keep them??    I never keep fish myself, but I'm still curious. 

When targeting one species of fish there is usually the opportunity for bi-catch of a different species that may not be open for retention and would be required to be released.

An example would be if you were targeting chinooks and caught a sockeye without an opening, you would have to release it.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »

It is because there are many species in the same waters that you are NOT allowed to kill and must release unharmed...that is why the need for barbless hooks regardless of the species you are targeting.
Not all those who wander are lost

bcguy

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »

Blatchford is at the end of her career; this article is an example of that.
I have known and worked with Barry Huber for 25 years; nobody cares more for the well being of FN, and the salmon they depend on for much of their culture, than him.  He said what he believes.
And that seems to be the troubling part
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Sam6140

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 07:19:22 PM »

Cool...thanks everyone.  Makes complete sense.