• fish forever and forever fish
smokin
« on: June 27, 2011, 05:33:47 PM »

i need some relly good recipice for smoking salmon and other fish thanks coho

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
Re: smokin
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:27:50 PM »

Do a search on any of the local web-site and you'll come up with a wide assortment.

Dogbreath

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:51:45 PM »

The best advice I can give you is not to overdo things-use a light touch.

Brine carefully/dry carefully and smoke carefully.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/

loveforstellies

• Thump! huh? Fish on!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:11:03 AM »

Hi Coho, the one thing one must pay attention to is the amounts of salt and sugar you use on the brine as this is the main drying factor previous to the smoking it also influences the way your salmon taste after smoking. To salty can make your salmon dry and a bit hard on the kidneys. To much sugar and you will loose the natural smoky/salmon taste and it could also make it a tiny bit dry. Over all use sugar but not in excess. Also timing is a factor on how sweet, dry or moist your salmon will be. So here are some of my preferences when smoking some great tasting north west salmon. I hope this helps you, cheers.

1) if your fish is fresh from the river cut is in fillets as this will facilitate the process of handling the fish when marinating with the brine.

2) The Brine

I prefer hot salmon so I use dry cruched habaņero pepper flakes. If you decide to go for the habaņero flakes PLEASE!! PLEASE!! use gloves when handling. I am not responsible for any injuries!!

anyway here it is:

1 cup water
1 cup white wine
1 cup Soy sauce (this will provide plenty of salt)
1 cup lemon juice
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or any other sou you might like, perhaps BBQ, your choice.)
1 tablespoon onion powder (or if you want a quarter of an onion really well chopped, tiny bits preferable.)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon of fresh ginger (optional)
1 tablespoon crushed pepper flakes (depending on how hat you want your salmon)

This brine will be enough for 4 1/2 - 5 Lbs. of filleted salmon.

2) Process for making the brine  8)

A)  Warm the water enough for it to be lube warm. This will dissolve the sugar faster.

B)  Add the sugar to the water (lube warm) and stir until the sugar mostly dissolved. (if some sugar crystals do not dissolve, do not worry they will ad flavor to the salmon while it smokes  ;) )

C)  Once the sugar is dissolved add the Soy sauce and mix it well.

D) Mix the lemon juice and the white wine and warm them up a bit so the alcohol in the white wine is reduced. I usually warm it without letting it get to a bobbling boiling. once you see it steam up evenly take it off the burner, o.k?

E) Mix both the water and the wine and add the rest of the condiments.

3) Marinating!! IPORTANT!!! :o
So here is the one of three crucial factors in smoking salmon.

Put the fillets in a large container and pour the brine on top of them make sure they are completely  and evenly covered. (If you are smoking a 10 lb fish you must double the amount of brine.)

Let them rest in the brine for 22 minutes and then flip the Glass Air Tight Container so the brine covers everything. In total it will take 45 to 50 minutes for the fillets to be ready for smoking!

4) SMOKING!!

Depending on the thickness of the fillets it will take 6 - 10 hrs for smoking. For a 1- 2 inch fillet it will take 7 1/2 to 8 hours. Keep that in mind depending how humid or how dry you want your salmon.

Put your pre-soaked apple or almond chips. I sometimes use a tiny bit of cedar needles to add aroma to the chips and enhance the flavor. I little not to much. maximum  a three finger pinch of cedar needles.

I hope this helps you.

J

jza

coho13

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »

thx j im goin to try this next time ;D

Fishing in Vancouver

• Guided Fishing Trips
    • Vancouver Fishing Trips
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »

Coho13 here is one of my all time favorite recipes for Salmon Brine. I think i found it in "the little chief" booklet and I have been using it for years.
2 cups soy sauce
1 cup water
1 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup non iodized salt
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon tabasco sauce
1/2 ground black pepper

Blend together and let fish soak anywhere from 6-12 hours depending on the amount of flavor you prefer.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »

I like to keep it simple.

I take filets and cut into 1.5" wide strips and then carefully slice off the skin and the "brownish" meat that is between the red flesh and skin.

I like to use a dry brine.  As the moisture is pulled out it becomes wet anyways. A simple mix of 4 parts brown demerara brown sugar and 1 part coarse salt will do the trick. Extra spices can be added for extra flavor but thats the basic mix.

I put the salmon pieces and the dry brine together in a plastic  tupperware container, mix and put in the fridge. I usually leave it in the brine for around 12 hours, turning the container every few hours.

After brining I give them a quick rinse with water and put them on racks on the counter and let sit for a couple hours to build a pellicle glaze.

Then into the smoker. I usually use three trays of chips, and then just let them dry until the desired result is achieved.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:40:40 AM by BNF861 »

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 09:45:26 AM »

I was playing around with canning smoked salmon.
Use your favorite brine, mine is the dry brine, 8 cups brown sugar to 1/2 cup salt.
Smoke for 2 hours then do your canning process for 100mins.
Best smoked salmon ever and lasts a year or more on the shelf.

doja

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 10:09:10 PM »

Use your favorite brine, mine is the dry brine, 8 cups brown sugar to 1/2 cup salt.

X2!!!

Fishing in Vancouver

• Guided Fishing Trips
    • Vancouver Fishing Trips
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »

definately going to try that! I usually send some out to St. Jeans cannery every year to be smoked and canned. But it's time to try it on my own

Dogbreath

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 09:01:25 PM »

Just finished smoking a big Spring a friend brought me from Langara man does this place smell good!

coho13

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:11:12 PM »

mmmm i bet ;D

Oilcruzer

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 01:12:46 PM »

I just did a pink for 6 hrs.  Use standard brine w cup of wine... Easy on salt... Maybe 2/3 cup... You are not preserving it. 

120 2 hours 140 2 hours and 180 plus to finish. Get that internal to 170. 

Tastes like smoked Mackeral.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 03:35:03 PM »

Got this recipe from another guy, it's not mine... but it is dead simple and delicious.  Most people that try the stuff I've done with this say its the best smoked salmon they have had... I have eaten a LOT and this is my favourite recipe by a long shot.   

Brine (dry)- 4 cups demerara brown sugar, 3/4 cup coarse salt, 4-8 cloves of crushed garlic ... adjust proportionally to cover amount of salmon.  For thick slabs I use more salt but never more than 1-4 mix salt to sugar.

I brine it overnight.  Make sure you get coverage.  Use more brine mix than you think you will need, not enough and you'll end up with a patchy brine job.  Cover it and brine it in the fridge.
Take it out in the AM, put it on a drying rack for 24h.  Use a fan, it will help form a nice pellicle. 
Next AM, hot smoke it with alder for 6-8hrs depending on how thick it is.  For pinks I do 6 hrs.  An hour before I take it out I do a maple syrup glaze on it.