Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Hatchery Fish Kill Wild Fish As This Article Relates It Does?  (Read 3121 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Do Hatchery Fish Kill Wild Fish As This Article Relates It Does?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »

This should be an interesting debate :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »

This should be an interesting debate :D
I thought you will enjoy it. ;D ;D ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »

Those guys should be called "part native guy fishing with expensive equipment society".
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »

Very interesting post, Chris.  I personally have no real opinion on the matter - don't feel qualified to formulate one - but I do find articles like this very interesting.

John
- John A.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 12:23:08 PM »

I totally agree with the writers final point, and that is to not release the hatchery fish....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

mykisscrazy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 01:15:55 PM »

Hopefully no one in the Provincial Fisheries Branch sees this...It will give them an excuse to stop all Hatchery Production of Steelhead. Already there are quite a few managers who believe Hatchery Steelhead should go the way of the Dodo...

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:51:27 PM »

Stats can be read and interpreted in so many different ways to fit each individual/organization's need.
Taking survival/return rate from different river system and try to come up with a conclusion then superimpose onto every single water system is just not a good science practice.
However, it can create shocking results for political ad usage.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 05:15:18 PM »

Stats can be read and interpreted in so many different ways to fit each individual/organization's need.
Taking survival/return rate from different river system and try to come up with a conclusion then superimpose onto every single water system is just not a good science practice.
However, it can create shocking results for political ad usage.

Too true.  The frightening thing is, that this "one for all, all for one" system of management is creeping into other states, besides ours.  Montana's state organization, which I had heard rave reviews about from a close friend, is getting worse and worse - they've "streamlined" (no pun intended) their system in order to cut costs...

John
- John A.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »

The way I see this in very simple terms is our fisheries ministries, both Federally and Provincially do not seem to put enough resources and energy into the protection of our wild stocks of steelhead, trout and salmon.

If they looked after the fish's habitat, the environment, stopped bad logging practices, some polluting mining sites, over fishing by all sectors, destroying  many small feeder streams, the drawing off of excess water for irrigation purposes and finally have proper studies of what seems to many, the damage fish farm have done and are doing.  Look at the damage caused in other countries where fish farms have been, well before they came to our waters.

If our wild stocks were better managed in the past and now we would not have to have had to get into having hatcheries in the first place.

Now, is it better to augment some of our rivers with hatchery fish or end up with no fish at all?

Now lets look at rivers where there is no fishing or just catch and release. Have these rivers increased their fish stocks? I donot think so, in most cases meaning there is other problems that are not being addressed. Of course some government bodies and others say its global warming. Is that just a convenient excuse to cover their neglect to our precious fish stocks?