Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cultus Lake  (Read 3297 times)

bmynbr

Cultus Lake
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:49:50 PM »

Just wondering what kind of fish are in the lake?  What is the best style of fishing to do in this lake?  and what kind of bait works well?  I was out today and just used a spinner from my boat, caught one and another spit the hook.  I will be camping there this summer, and would really like to catch a bunch of fish and get my son into fishing, since sitting around for hours not getting any bites doesn't motivate him to want to keep trying..LOL
Thanks, Dave

joska

• Old Timer
Re: Cultus Lake
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:25:19 PM »

dave as a kid i stayed at sunnyside campgrounds, fished off the numerous piers when weather was poor. we use to catch little minnows with a butterfly net. use hot dogs and caught bullheads. hope this helps. will he be able to get the pinks?
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

bmynbr

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:29:17 PM »

Hey joe, how was the sturgeon fishing?  Those oars worked out perfectly.
Dave

arimaBOATER

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 01:36:50 PM »

Cultus Lake....let me say this 1st.
There was a time where some friends & I did ALOT of scuba diving...160ft down which is NO-NO for a sport diver...
...in currents....under ice covered lake....once even about to go in by the Lions Gate Bridge BUT very experienced divers were just leaving & on the sea wall they noticed just by the way we looked "rookies" we should not be diving at this spot....TOO MUCH CURRENTS...SEA-WEED etc...

If anyone of you are novice divers DO NOT attempt what we did as we could of easily died in the places we went. Safety 1st in whatever we do...because in a snap of a finger your life can be gone.
Just the other day a 31 yr old guy jumped into a fast flowing creek to save his dog....guys dead ...dog made it out.

Saying that....we did dive Cultus Lake...& to MY SURPRIZE ...we seen ALOT OF FISH & many were very big....rainbows...& other types of fish...Very safe lake to dive but do not go too far from shore or surface out too far as there are ALOT of pleasure boats zipping about.
Another safe dive was Bellcarra(lots of marine life...crabs) & Sassamat Lake.....

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »

Just wondering what kind of fish are in the lake?  What is the best style of fishing to do in this lake?  and what kind of bait works well?  I was out today and just used a spinner from my boat, caught one and another spit the hook.  I will be camping there this summer, and would really like to catch a bunch of fish and get my son into fishing, since sitting around for hours not getting any bites doesn't motivate him to want to keep trying..LOL
Thanks, Dave
You may want to take your son in the pikeminnow derby on June 18. Details here. http://www.fraservalleysalmonsociety.ca/derby.html

bmynbr

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 07:40:26 PM »

Every year the derby is on the same day as my work summer party.  I guess I could be a little late to the party. I mean it is for a good cause. LOL

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 10:03:24 PM »

may i ask what happens to the fish? ???

colin6101

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 11:04:13 PM »

They get a rock shampoo at this derby for sure. The whole point of the derby is to remove some of them from the lake and improve the chances of the endangered cultus lake sockeye.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 11:37:48 PM »

They get a rock shampoo at this derby for sure...
i like it... when do the bass derby's begin?