Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Halfmoon bay bc oysters  (Read 6902 times)

fishyfish

Halfmoon bay bc oysters
« on: May 17, 2011, 04:21:37 PM »

Hello,

I am going to Halfmoon Bay B.C. this weekend. Are there any areas you can harvest oysters? Are they seasonal? Where would I look for red tide related opening and closures? Thank you in advance.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Halfmoon bay bc oysters
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:59:17 PM »

Probably still sell them there and they would be safe from tide.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fishyfish

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I can buy them at the Superstore in Vancouver I was hoping to get them myself.

Dogbreath

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:24:01 AM »

I know the spots you want but that area might be an Oyster lease-in which case you would be poaching-do you know what to look for/what the marker looks like?

Bill

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »

Go back to FWR home page left hand column Fisheries Canada Pacific Region  that will get you the info about Red tide closures. You will need a salt water licence for harvesting shell fish. Check for a real low tide climb around on the rocks and look in the crevasses you might have some luck. The easiest way to pry them off the rocks is to bring along a spade and a bucket also check your limits.   

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 10:13:26 PM »

Then's there is the issue of using an Oyster knife. Fishy if your interested in getting them, I would imagine looking at hard to get to beach's near by would be the ticket. Always been like that. :)

Disclaimer:
If you take out a major artery while shucking Oysters it's not my fault.

fishyfish

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »

Thank you very much for the advise.

shallowfly

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 06:09:50 AM »

I am new on this forum and could not figure out how to create a new post, may be the newbie thing not sure. Have a question about Half Moon Bay as I will be visiting from Florida for a week mid June staying on the water front and also have a kayak. Would like to do some fly fishing, bringing my 6 wt and 3 wt, and looking for fly pattern suggestions that I can tie prior to leaving or just fishing suggestions in general.

Thanks in advance any help will be appreciated.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:37:56 AM »

Enquire locally about harvesting Oysters. It's been many years since I stayed on the water there but at the time the Oyster farmers were ok with locals taking a small number of oysters.

Shallowfly:

Spider and Horne Lakes are worth fishing. There are smallmouth bass and rainbow trout in Spider. The Big Qualicum River to the south and the little Qualicum further south are good bets for cutthroat trout. Sea run cutthroat trout will be available off the many beaches in the area. particulary near creek mouths. It takes a lot of searching to find them. There is a flyshop further north up the highway. They can provide info and local fly patterns. Have fun!

http://www.nilecreekflyshop.com/

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:43:43 PM »

I am new on this forum and could not figure out how to create a new post, may be the newbie thing not sure. Have a question about Half Moon Bay as I will be visiting from Florida for a week mid June staying on the water front and also have a kayak. Would like to do some fly fishing, bringing my 6 wt and 3 wt, and looking for fly pattern suggestions that I can tie prior to leaving or just fishing suggestions in general.

Thanks in advance any help will be appreciated.

It would be a question of what your fishing in. Salt water or fresh water fly fishing?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 01:01:26 PM »

some patterns here:

http://www.flyfishbc.com/forums/threads/5305-Your-quot-Go-To-quot-Fly-For-Cutties-Off-The-Beach

contact Salar on that board. he runs the Nile Creek shop.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:56:54 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.