Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon fishing....  (Read 16197 times)

brysonk

Re: Sturgeon fishing....
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 09:48:53 AM »

Was looking to get into sturgeon fishing and see that you guys posted some spots in langley. I live in langley and would love to be able to fish for them so close to home. As I was about to purchase a license for sturgeon I read this...

"Since September 12, 2008, sport anglers taking part in the white sturgeon fishery in the lower and middle freshwater portions of the Fraser River watershed are required to carry a new White Sturgeon Conservation Licence (WSCL) in addition to a basic provincial angling licence.

The lower and middle portions of the Fraser River watershed (which includes the Fraser River tributaries), from the Mission Bridge to and including Williams Lake River in the Cariboo Region, are the only fresh waters in B.C. where it is legal to fish for white sturgeon in a unique catch-and-release fishery. All other fresh waters in B.C. are closed to sturgeon fishing.

All revenue generated from the sales of the WSCL will be directed to the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation for use in sturgeon stock management activities."

Is it true that you can't fish for sturgeon below misson bridge? Or because it's tidal below the bridge it is ok to fish for them?

brysonk

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 10:00:45 AM »

nevermind, I just found the info I was looking for.  ;) Wait do you even need a sturgeon license when fishing in the tidal fraser?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:02:22 AM by brysonk »

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 10:27:42 AM »

nevermind, I just found the info I was looking for.  ;) Wait do you even need a sturgeon license when fishing in the tidal fraser?
you do not need a sturgeon tag for fishing the lower fraser river. the tidal license is federal, non tidal is provincial. but hey it wouldn't hurt buying it anyway for the good of the fish..., what about the head on, or head off question when fishing the lower river?
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

brysonk

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 02:35:39 PM »

"what about the head on, or head off question when fishing the lower river?" What do you mean?

salmonlander

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »

No Sturgeon tag required below Mission bridge. Must have salt licence.  For bait, you can use fish with head on below the bridge only.

1son

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 10:54:43 PM »

Don't need a tag for lower part of fraser only need it if ur fishing above mission bridge probly gonna hit up duncan bar this weekend if it doesn't rain tight lines :P

brysonk

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 02:12:07 PM »

Well, picked up some gear today and hope to make it out to try my luck tomorrow. Ended up getting a amundson 8' sturgeon rod and a penn 321 gt2 and all the tackle involved. The river is pretty murky but well see how it goes  :-\ should be a nicer day tomorrow anyway. wish me luck.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 02:19:02 PM »

will be out tomorrow as well, look forward to the reports to fallow a great day on the river...

chum dad

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »

went out yesterday ( Saturday), the river is fast and high, lots of debris, you may want to try next month when the water drops. Fished out of fort Langley.

1son

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 09:14:42 PM »

chum dad did u manage to land a dino or at  least get any hits? ;D

chum dad

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 05:54:11 PM »

Tried 3 different locations but came up empty handed, i'll try again in a couple of weeks

brysonk

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 09:02:05 PM »

I got lucky on my first outing today. First cast hooked one but didn't set hard enough. second cast got this one. Not sure how big it was but at least 5 feet. Jumped 4 times and almost spooled me, but I was determined  ;D Hard to get a good pic when you're by yourself.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:07:38 PM by brysonk »

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 09:55:10 PM »

great job, good to see some one hook into something today. personally i cant wait to get back out on the river