Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon fishing....  (Read 16196 times)

1son

Sturgeon fishing....
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:50:31 PM »

Hey there was wondering if anyone can tell me good shore fishing spots for sturgeon anywhere from maple ridge,langley,ruskin/mission and abbostford area would be very helpful thanx ;D

azafai

Re: Sturgeon fishing....
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »

try the following location:

DERBY REACH REGIONAL PARK
Allard Crescent
Langley Township, BC

good luck.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:24:45 PM by azafai »

1son

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:50:03 PM »

Yeah I've been there a few times with a few hits here and there a friend of mine caught a couple there but there pretty small and just too many snags wanna find a better spot thanx a lot for your help anyone else have suggestions

colin6101

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:45:24 PM »

You can try further up at two Bit Bar as well, or try the other side of the river at the mouth of the Stave. I've caught some decent sized sturgeon as well as other species between two bit and duncan bars.

Bill

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »

Go to the Haney dock just across the street from the Billy Miner Pub you should have some good luck there.

1son

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 06:58:10 PM »

I've checked out the haney dock it gets pretty crowded and u can't cast that far

wizard

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 07:58:33 PM »

you should find a nice park or a pullout somewhere along the river...it is a huge river with lots of shore access...park your car, go for a walk, and try different spots along the river. 

You're looking for spots to sturgeon fish from shore with little snags...there are snags literally along the entire shore line of the entire river.  Not to mention with the river as high as it is right now, being in freshet and all, that snags are going to be even more prominent.  The only time I've ever sturgeon fished the fraser river from shore and not had to deal with snags/drop off is when the tide is at real low tide when the drop off is at your feet.  You're not going to find any spot like that right now.   If anything you'll be casting onto the shallow bench where sturgeon are going to be far less frequent. 

Not to mention even if I knew a money shore sturgeon spot, not to sound like a jerk, but why would I advertise it?  These money spots are not all that common, so why would I advertise it when I want to go, to have to worry if someone is there or not. 

Like I said, I don't want to come off as a jerk, but all of the best fishing spots I've ever found have been from personal exploring.  Trial and error will always have bigger rewards then general "where can I do this".

From what I've seen there's been some good spots to point you in the right direction. Go there go for walks and try different spots, you WILL find the nice spot you're looking for.
Good luck.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 09:22:43 AM »

-- The only time I've ever sturgeon fished the fraser river from shore and not had to deal with snags/drop off is when the tide is at real low tide when the drop off is at your feet.  You're not going to find any spot like that right now.   If anything you'll be casting onto the shallow bench where sturgeon are going to be far less frequent. 

--Wizard: this is a great reply and looking forward to more...  It is the kind of advise I would welcome... what to look for in good water or spot.
--even if a spot... especially on a river was given with gps coordinates.. for the most part the river is ever changing... what was good yesterday ie. no snags could have a snag tomorrow... especially during and after spring/summer run off.
--knowing what to look for or even a technique is much more valuable than the spot.

-- I have two basic approaches... either I refine a method of fishing then search for spots and times where this method is best used or I pick a spot and use multiple methods or style depending on time of year, day species etc.
-- 1son it appears you are looking for a spot... thus I presume you are fishing a specific method.. some detail on what you are using and how could get some advise on how better to utilize what you have or what type of water you should be looking for.   

1son

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »

skaha I'm using 100lbs braided tuff line with a 8oct hook and 8oz weight with 10ft rod and penn reel using oolies. Hook to weight is about 4ft and basically fishing from derby bar I've been going sturgeon fishing with my dad as a kid for years so I know this techniques works but if there's anything I'm doing wrong or if someone has a better set up for rigs don't be afraid to drop some knowledge. I'm not asking for anyones secret spot here just for some advise on where some decent holes are I've had some good luck at derby but notice the fish aren't very big and snags at times so wanting to ask my fellow fishermen on some pointers anything would help out tremendously thanx.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 04:45:16 PM »

Can't help you on the shore spots (fish from a boat) but you should shorten down your leader.

I fish a leader that is about 1 to 1.5 feet (dacron braid).

You want your bait to be sitting quiet on the bottom not flapping around up in the flow.
If you are using oolies, look at your setup in shallow water to make sure that it does not roll in the flow.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 05:46:48 PM »

I think 1-1.5 ft is too short of a leader.
To each there own i guess. ;)

wizard

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 07:18:59 PM »

I agree 4 foot leader with oolie, with conditions and currents as strong as they are now might be a little long.  Advantage of the short leader is that the current cannot lift your bait as easily and spin it, renderring it largely useless.  With less current, leader length is less of an issue.  I've been using about a 20 inch leader, even then bait can spin...

Also 1son, shore fishing for sturgeon will naturally garner more smaller sturgeons, you will get lucky once in awhile and a hook a decent one, but typically expect smallish sturgeons.  I'd reccomend lightening up your gear to suit these smaller fish.  Spinning outfit even works great, you can cast far, and gives these usually smaller fish a much better fight.  Spinning outfit from a boat though is highly UNrecommended.

I did say right now with water being in freshet, that you'll be casting onto shallow bench where sturgeon are less to frequent, while that's true, sturgeons do come up on the bench.  Maybe they're feeding, maybe they're just getting out of the current, I don't know, but they are there.  Infact today while fishing for nothing in particular, I got one (3 footer)on my spinning rod and dew worm fished on the bench.  It put up a great fight, with my sturgeon outfit, it would have put up little to no fight. With the appropriately paired gear any sturgeon will put up more then an adequate fight. 

Also 1son, if you're trying new areas you're sure have lots of snags, you could try using a railway tie tied on with mono as your weight.  That way you don't have to worry about losing expensive and hard to break off lead weights.  And fish an area of water you feel good about in all conditions and throughout the year.  Familiarize yourself with the water, learn where the snags are, learn where the dropoff is and learn where the fish are going to tend to be given the conditions.  It may take yearsto totally familiarize yourself with a specific area, but it will payoff in dividends taking guesswork out of equation.  Where to fish isn't as important imo as how to fish in a given area.

Silex-user

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 10:18:52 PM »

Years ago, (before I was married) I used to spend my lazy summer nights fishing for sturgeons around Duncan bar areas and I just used 3-4 dew worms as bait and cast as far out possible.The thing about night fishing for them is the big ones tend to come out and feed closer to shore.

Silex-user

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 11:07:15 AM »

Also 1son, if you're trying new areas you're sure have lots of snags, you could try using a railway tie tied on with mono as your weight.

I hope you mean a railway spike.
Might be a little tough to cast with a tie on your line.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »

I hope you mean a railway spike.
Might be a little tough to cast with a tie on your line.

the bigger the weight the bigger the fish?
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.