Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting hook in the tube  (Read 3159 times)

RiverBum101

• Leave no spawners
Setting hook in the tube
« on: July 07, 2011, 03:02:36 PM »

Hey guys,i just got afish cat 4 float tube and every time i go out i cast retrive about 3-4 pulls and let it sink i constantly get hits while my fly sinks my finger is on the fly line but i just can t get a good hook set iv got like a 1 in 20 catch to bite ratio and its a treacherous hike with the tube to my local lake from my house and im really getting discouraged my leader was only like 3 feet and im using sinking tip line if someone can give me some tips it would be greatly appreciated i have no problem setting the hook standing on the shore :)

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
Re: Setting hook in the tube
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:05:12 AM »

Hey guys,i just got afish cat 4 float tube and every time i go out i cast retrive about 3-4 pulls and let it sink i constantly get hits while my fly sinks my finger is on the fly line but i just can t get a good hook set iv got like a 1 in 20 catch to bite ratio and its a treacherous hike with the tube to my local lake from my house and im really getting discouraged my leader was only like 3 feet and im using sinking tip line if someone can give me some tips it would be greatly appreciated i have no problem setting the hook standing on the shore :)

As an aside, thats a verryyy short leader - what technique are you using that would require a leader that short?  Not related to the original post I think, just more of a general question.

Are you only stripping in line when the strike comes?  Or are you lifting your rod at the same time as well?
- John A.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »

My shortest leaders are usually no less than 6'.
- John A.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »

My shortest leaders are usually no less than 6'.

Short leaders (3 feet or less) are good when fishing sink-tip in moving water as it ensures the fly gets into the strike zone quickly and does not ride up in the water column effectively cancelling the effect of the sinking tip.  In still water this is not as necessary as the need for the fly to sink quickly is not as important, furthermore the still water also gives the fish a better look at the fly, leader and line, so longer leaders used so as not to spook the fish with the more visible fly line. 

None of this should have any effect on the ability to set the hook.  More likely your fly is being hit by smaller fish who cannot (or are not) taking the fly but are merely bumping it.  This can be solved by using smaller hooks (if you really want to hook these smaller fish).

Now, I am not sure why you have better luck fishing from shore, but I might suggest just fishing from shore then. ;)
Not all those who wander are lost

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 04:01:24 PM »

Short leaders (3 feet or less) are good when fishing sink-tip in moving water as it ensures the fly gets into the strike zone quickly and does not ride up in the water column effectively cancelling the effect of the sinking tip.  In still water this is not as necessary as the need for the fly to sink quickly is not as important, furthermore the still water also gives the fish a better look at the fly, leader and line, so longer leaders used so as not to spook the fish with the more visible fly line. 

None of this should have any effect on the ability to set the hook.  More likely your fly is being hit by smaller fish who cannot (or are not) taking the fly but are merely bumping it.  This can be solved by using smaller hooks (if you really want to hook these smaller fish).

Now, I am not sure why you have better luck fishing from shore, but I might suggest just fishing from shore then. ;)

I assumed he was fishing stillwater
- John A.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 05:05:38 PM »

I assumed he was fishing stillwater

Yes, and given that he was using an eight weight sinking tip with a short leader, I am assuming he is using his winter river setup.  An easy enough transition to tie on an extra 3 foot length of 4 pound test to the end of that 3 foot leader (probably of 8 lb test).
Not all those who wander are lost

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 07:56:40 PM »

Yes, and given that he was using an eight weight sinking tip with a short leader, I am assuming he is using his winter river setup.  An easy enough transition to tie on an extra 3 foot length of 4 pound test to the end of that 3 foot leader (probably of 8 lb test).

Yup, simple lil blood knot.

Back to the original topic...
- John A.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:21:57 AM »

As pointed out above: Hooks too big?
or perhaps the tails on your flies are too long (short takes?),
Is your rod tip pointed at your fly or is it pointed up or slightly up putting a belly in the line?

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 07:32:36 PM »

If using an 8wt. I would suggest just lifting the rod rather than trying to set the hook. I think you might be ripping the hook away too fast.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.