Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saw The Funniest Thing Today  (Read 4953 times)

Dogbreath

Saw The Funniest Thing Today
« on: April 29, 2011, 04:55:45 PM »

Some situations just cry out for a camera.

Saw a guy carrying a spinning rod near Granville Island today he was just about to set up in the back bay south of the Island.

So I had to open my mouth-'Gonna catch some Springs'?

He must have heard the scorn/incredulity in my voice because he responded 'I caught a Trout this big here two days ago'.

I burst out laughing even harder and all but called him a liar-because I know he was lying.

I told him there hadn't been anything but baitfish washed in by the tide in False Creek for over 50 years but he insisted he was in the right.

I told him there had been a net pen in that bay in the early 80's for a one day tournament maybe that's why he was cleaning up on the Sea Runs and he agreed.  ::)

I took a close look @ his tackle-7' spinning rod/reel and a 3' gang troll with 2 large Gooey Bobs on the hook-this was his casting outfit!

About then he was really choked @ my making fun of him and I was laughing so hard I was choking so I left.

Anyway it was a nice sunny afternoon to sit by the water on a falling tide.

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Saw The Funniest Thing Today
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »

Did it make you feel better about yourself?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:22:14 PM »

I agree. Who cares as long as he is within the law let him enjoy his day.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 07:28:48 PM »

He must have been the guy I saw at Green Timbers. For some people thats their go to set up. Not that easy to cast I imagine.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:01:56 PM »

You be surprise what people catch with their non traditional tackle. A few years back during coho season a lady was casting the biggest Tom Mack spoon I've seen off the beach at Ambleside with a big spinning reel and rod. Lo and behold, 3rd cast in and she reels in a 1 1/2 lb. sea run cutthroat.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »

I walk my dog late at night west of Granville Island by Vanier Park and I've heard some big splashes and seen the ripples in the water left behind by some fairly largish fish.  Also, another friend who lives in the creek actually saw a chum salmon in swimming in the False creek area. I've also seen harbour seals swimming right by the Anderson street walkway going into Granville Island, next to the charter business. Things that make you go hmm.
President Club S. C. & P.

Dogbreath

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »

Yes I laughed myself sick-more fun than monkeys!

It's been a great week-promotion @ work, good news from my MD and now this!

I walk my dog late at night west of Granville Island by Vanier Park and I've heard some big splashes and seen the ripples in the water left behind by some fairly largish fish.
Merc-I live in the neighbourhood-those are Cormorants feeding.

They nest on the girders  under the Burrard Street bridge and hunt Needlefish by night-bioluminescent baitfish are widespread on the BC coast.

Also, another friend who lives in the creek actually saw a chum salmon in swimming in the False creek area. I've also seen harbour seals swimming right by the Anderson street walkway going into Granville Island, next to the charter business.
Tides sometime wash staging Salmon into the creek if populations are thick enough-didn't happen last year with all the Sockeye though.

As to Seals they always around have a look next time you're @ the Dog Beach behind the Maritime Museum-Seals are often there checking out the mutt action-the same Seals that you see from the back deck @ Granville Island Market.

The bottom of False Creek is alive with small Red Rock Crabs and that's mostly what the Seals feed on-although they are sometime around the fish cleaning table-the guides don't actively feed them unlike some places.

azafai

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:11 PM »

lol
X2

Fisherama

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »

Fish in False Creek?!? That's about as unlikely as a grey whale wandering in for a peek... oh wait...

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 11:15:13 PM »

As soon as you guys parted that same guy nailed 2 sea-run trout on back to back casts. Now whos laughing?
The Bigger The Better!

Dogbreath

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 11:24:16 PM »

Fish in False Creek?!? That's about as unlikely as a grey whale wandering in for a peek... oh wait...
Hey Buddy I was there that day and I've seen more Whales than anyone else here that thing was sick as any joke I've ever read on the net.

As soon as you guys parted that same guy nailed 2 sea-run trout on back to back casts. Now whos laughing?
I'm laughing @ the idea that someone could use a 7' spinning rod to cast a 3' gang troll further than I could spit into the wind.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 12:09:14 AM »

Probably the same technique used by fishermen on the Fraser casting 15' leaders on 10 1/2' rod ;D

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 10:35:21 PM »

Merc-I live in the neighbourhood-those are Cormorants feeding.

They nest on the girders  under the Burrard Street bridge and hunt Needlefish by night-bioluminescent baitfish are widespread on the BC coast.
Tides sometime wash staging Salmon into the creek if populations are thick enough-didn't happen last year with all the Sockeye though.

You might be right but I have yet to hear a cormorant make a sound like a belly flop, making a water slapping sound. water.  I know they feed at night and I've seen them often enough in the neighbourhood too.  However, since I've didn't see the actual fish jump and only seen the rings on the water surface I'm only making a conclusion based on my observation and more specifically the sounds I've heard.  And, I've never seen anything surface after the hearing the sound. So, you might be right...but then again, you weren't there either.
President Club S. C. & P.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 09:00:51 AM »

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also seen Otters, Porpoises, Pink salmon (2009 and earlier runs), seen a spring off the stern of a docked boat, piling perch, assorted rock fish (coal harbour halibut) a wayward cutty isn't beyond possible.
Although,  With so many out there who can't identify fish it could have been anything.

Stealth

• Steve Kaye Sportfishing
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 04:19:09 PM »

Hello C.Z.  Still stirring the pot I see, You cant always hide behind a name change. ;)

You need to fish more and spend less time on the computer! ;D
Hope you are doing well