Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zip Vac  (Read 2235 times)

Silex-user

Zip Vac
« on: April 28, 2011, 08:57:13 AM »

Has anybody use Zip Vac or seen them before? I saw the ad for it quite few times and it say it a "Zip Vac's award-winning vacuum sealing systems lets you savor the flavor months longer in your freezer by removing oxygen, the cause of flavor- robbing freezer burn"

Silex-user

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Zip Vac
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:41:08 AM »

I haven't used the zip vac but do use a vacuum sealer for fish and game. 

The Zip Vac seems like a concept that the zip lock people came up with to expand their product offering. The zip vac bags are expensive (more than $1 each I believe) and to get full value you need to re-use the bags. Washing fish slime or blood out of a bag and then trying to dry it so that it can be used for the next time is not something I would want to do. Without sterilizing it I would also be concerned about bacteria........

It will cost you more to get a vacuum sealer, but the bags are less expensive and because of that you probably won't re-use them.

Any product that takes the air out of the packaging before you put it in the deep freeze will "let you savor the flavor months longer".   :)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 11:23:22 AM »

i saw them at a shop in vancouver and am thinking of trying it out this up coming season...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

StillAqua

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 02:48:59 PM »

I'm still an old school glazer...guess it's a dying art with all these new fangled plastic vacuum sealers.

Justin

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:39:57 PM »

I just saw that a friend of mine had several sockey sides sealed in these bags.  They appear to be thicker than then the food saver bags that I use.  He told me he paid $7 a role at Save on Foods.  Based on my original observations I believe these bags to be of good quality and am excited to give them a try.

Justin