Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Endangered River List Released Today, The Kettle # 1 , Fraser River Makes List  (Read 1698 times)

skaha

• Old Timer

--Yep the Kettle # 1 again this year and Similkameen # 8 both in my area and great small rivers for flyfishing. Not crowded and easy access for large portions of these rivers.
--The fish aren't big although some Browns in the Kettle of good size if you know where to look. If you want to work the bottom you can pick up good size but I prefer using 3 or 4 wt rod dry fly.. maybe smaller fish but lots of fun.
--Mid to late summer... if enough water easily drift fished from a pontoon even for fairly rookie river folk.. as always can be nasty in spots during late spring floods.

--Water temps a big issue for fish but make for pleasant swim.. the water is almost scary warm in spots, some years have resultant fish die off. We definitely don't want to stress the fish more by catch and release in these high temp times.

--Good resident trout and whitefish on the Similameen... really under utilized by flyfishers given the may access spots on both sides of the river especially South of Princeton.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

BC’s Most Endangered Rivers of 2010;
1. Kettle River (water extraction, development)
2. “Sacred Headwaters” of Skeena, Nass and Stikine (coalbed methane)
3. Peace River (hydro-electric dam proposal)
4. Fraser River, “Heart of the Fraser”(urbanization, industrial development, habitat loss)
5. Kokish River (IPP proposal)
6. Morice (pipeline proposal)
7. Taku River (mining development, road proposal, leachate concerns)
8. Similkameen River (cross border dam proposal)
9. Elk River (development, increasing selenium levels, wildlife migration issues)
10. Coquitlam River (excessive sedimentation, urbanization)
11. Bute Inlet Rivers (IPP proposal)
12. Atlin River (impacts of dam and Whitehorse, Yukon energy proposal)

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day