Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: John Duncan, Randy Kamp & Gary Lunn - No Friends of Anglers here...  (Read 5660 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

HiYa Folks,

John Duncan now has a section of his website designed such that people can ask a question directly to him and his team: http://johnduncanmp.com/askQuestion.aspx

In case anyone needs a suggestion or two

Does he and his Party support the present Privatization of Canada's Common Property halibut resource?

Does he and his Party believe that Canada's recreational halibut anglers should have reasonable catch opportunities over the course of their normal fishing year?

Does he and his Party believe that commercial halibut quota holders that do not personally fish halibut should be able to sell and/or lease their quota when they are no longer active participants in that fishery?

Does he and his Party support the present recreational angler's individual halibut limit of two fish be able to be taken in one day?Does he and his Party still believe this matter will simply go away?

Does he also understand that the answers to these questions will very much determine how the majority of those within the North Island Riding vote in the pending Federal Election?

Does he, or any member of his party have any financial interest in the commercial halibut fishery?

And... I am certain you can think of a few more...

Couple more on the "other side" to fire off your questions to:

Randy Kamp CP Pitt Meadows—Maple Ridge—Mission "Randy has been holding the Department of Fisheries and Oceans responsible for their actions on the Pacific Coast"

Oh? REALLY??  ::) http://www.randykamp.com/contact/

Gary Lunn CP Saanich-Gulf Islands: Actively lobbied AGAINST the Recreational Sector in the Halibut Issue
http://www.garylunn.ca/contact/

Good opportunity Folks! I'd suggest we RUN with it!!  ;)

Cheers,
Nog

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: John Duncan, Randy Kamp & Gary Lunn - No Friends of Anglers here...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 04:29:47 PM »

Hey Nog.....   

I admire your hard core drive to try and protect what you think is your right.

The truth is you have every right to do that as long as people will listen to you. I personally am getting tired of hearing about this issue.  While I agree that the recreational sector should have a right to the halibut resource, the commercial sector was there long before halibut became a recreational resource. Commercial fisherman have a right to earn a living as well.

The part of your last post that disturbed me the most is your tunnel visioned approach to casting a vote in the next election. There are many more issues in the election in addition to the halibut allocation. While it's good to know a representative's stance on a particular issue, in the end the party that becomes government sets the agenda, not an individual MP.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

bluesteele

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 05:41:09 PM »

Hey Nog.....   

The truth is you have every right to do that as long as people will listen to you. I personally am getting tired of hearing about this issue.  While I agree that the recreational sector should have a right to the halibut resource, the commercial sector was there long before halibut became a recreational resource. Commercial fisherman have a right to earn a living as well.

The part of your last post that disturbed me the most is your tunnel visioned approach to casting a vote in the next election. There are many more issues in the election in addition to the halibut allocation. While it's good to know a representative's stance on a particular issue, in the end the party that becomes government sets the agenda, not an individual MP.

Well excuuuuuse me.... I have a suggestion stick your fingers in your hearing holes  ;D ;D ;D preferably both at the same time this will help you trust me. ! ! !

work2fish

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 06:24:11 PM »

Hey Nog.....   

It may be that they were accessing more of the resource for a greater period of time, that doesn't mean that they were there first, or that it give them exclusive rights to that resource.  It is and always will be the common property of canadians. The government did a good thing in creating the quota system. The true issue is the idea that the minister is not responsible to manage the resource for the best interests of the majority of canadians. The minister has the ability and the duty to realloacte the resource to serve the best interests of the majority, not the minority, in this case a  few slipper skippers.

As for the effect it would have on the slipper skippers to give up 8-10% of the total IVQ they have available, the worst it would do is increase the market value of thier product, with close to a 0 net change, and most years that 8-10% is roughly what's left unfished in the water anyway.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 10:58:49 AM »

I personally am getting tired of hearing about this issue.

And I sincerely hope that many of the politicos are feeling the same way. Perhaps if enough of them "get tired" of the issue being constantly tossed in their faces, eventually a few might actually DO SOMETHING to rectify the matter!  ;)

Commercial fisherman have a right to earn a living as well.

Absolutely concur on that one. In fact I count amongst my close Friends a good handful who actively fish halibut commercially. No-one ever suggested there wasn't room for all of us. It is the current system, and the non-fishing Quota Brokers included within that, that should be done away with, not the honest hard-working fishermen out there!

The part of your last post that disturbed me the most is your tunnel visioned approach to casting a vote in the next election.

I agree that it is the Party as a whole that sets the Agenda. However, there are those within that Party that have worked diligently towards maintaining the current (likely Illegal) status quo. And they need to hear the message directly from those they are supposed to be working for that these actions are contrary to the desires of a great many in each of their ridings. Foremost amongst those who lobbied against Fair & Equitable Public Access are Duncan, Lunn and Kamp.

In all likelihood the Conservatives will regain the throne once again after this election is said and done. They NEED to hear our message that the Privatization of our Public Resources is not tolerable. What better method to do so than ousting a few of those who are most openly opposed towards doing what is right? IMO that would present the best possible outcome. Even should they not be ousted, it is extremely valuable to get the message of discontent across to each and every Conservative candidate as possible.

Yes, there are many other issues to consider (and I do btw). The Privatization of our Marine Resources is one of those, and one I happen to consider rather significant. We do nothing now when we have an available opportunity, there will be no change forthcoming from a newly elected government that sees no real pressure to do so. That is simply something I am not prepared to let slide on my watch.

Cheers,
Nog

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:16:46 PM »

I appreciate your reply Nog!

High on my list of To Do things is abolishing the gun registry. The conservatives are the only ones that have promised to do so.

The point is that each of us have our favorite issues and will vote according to those issues. While I support making all candidates aware of the halibut issue, I would strongly discourage voters from picking only one issue and voting for the candidate that supports that single issue.

Our political system is such that unless you actually form government you have very little influence on policies. Voting for the Green Party or the NDP because they support your view on the halibut fishery is in my opinion a wasted vote.

...... just the way I see it.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 01:59:31 PM »

NDP Response signed by:
Don Davies
Alex Atamanenko
Jean Crowder
Nathan Cullen
Libby Davies
Fin Donnelly
Peter Julian
Bill Siksay
Denise Savoy

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/NDP_Halibut.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »

The NDP has proven they will say anything and now sign anything, because they will never be in government to be able to implement anything!  ;D

fyrslyer

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »

I appreciate your reply Nog!

High on my list of To Do things is abolishing the gun registry. The conservatives are the only ones that have promised to do so.

The point is that each of us have our favorite issues and will vote according to those issues. While I support making all candidates aware of the halibut issue, I would strongly discourage voters from picking only one issue and voting for the candidate that supports that single issue.

Our political system is such that unless you actually form government you have very little influence on policies. Voting for the Green Party or the NDP because they support your view on the halibut fishery is in my opinion a wasted vote.

...... just the way I see it.

I second that

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:35:06 AM »

Halibut Statement from North Island Candidate Ronna-Rae Leonard and MP Nathan Cullen

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 13, 2011

Time to reform halibut fishery so it’s fair to all Canadians

COURTENAY - NDP incumbent Nathan Cullen (Skeena-Bulkley Valley) and NDP candidate Ronna-Rae Leonard (Vancouver Island North) say DFO’s halibut quota system is privatizing a public resource and hurting B.C.’s coastal economy.

“We are seeing the valuable halibut fishery privatized and Canadian fishermen of all kinds are being shut out. Both commercial and sport fishermen are losing opportunities to access a public resource, in large part due to this Conservative government's policy of neglect,” said Cullen.

Increasingly, halibut quotas are being bought by private interests from outside the region and country and leased back to active commercial and recreational fishermen. Almost every pound of halibut caught commercially now has such a lease fee attached.

“For too long governments have treated our natural resources as some private stock that can be bought and sold without our knowledge or influence. That has to change,” added Leonard.

Cullen asserted that the quota system must be reformed so that more benefits go to active fishermen.

“One solution being proposed would see DFO take back quota from non-active quota holders and reallocate it to the active commercial and recreational sectors,” said Cullen. “This will give fishermen greater access to the resource, and ensure that more value stays with the people who catch the fish.”

Both Cullen and Leonard emphasized the need to maintain conservation of halibut stocks as the first priority.
“Conservation is paramount and any decisions around allocation and quota must be precautionary and based on sound science,” said Leonard.*“There must be a commitment from all sectors to effective monitoring and fish data collection.”

Numerous town hall meetings on the halibut allocation issue have been held in communities throughout B.C. Cullen has also met with representatives from both the recreational and commercial sectors.

Currently, there are 436 commercial halibut license holders in B.C., with less than half actively fishing their quotas.

“The recreational sector has been raising these issues for seven years, and they feel their concerns have been ignored by this Conservative government, which has sat on the sidelines instead of being proactive” said Cullen. “The Harper government refuses to tell Canadians who owns our country’s fish.”

Duncan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7NTDk2Eegk

Kamp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThY8-X-rfHU

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »

BTW, Duncan's lack of popularity goes well and beyond the issue of simply halibut and the privatization of our marine resources. Here is yet another example...

WEB EXTRA: Duncan deserves support only when he stands up for people's concerns
Published: April 28, 2011 5:00 PM
Updated: April 28, 2011 5:28 PM

Dear editor,

We keep getting phone calls telling us the Conservatives need our vote. In our area, that would be a vote for you, Mr. Duncan.

That would mean you are promising to represent us in Ottawa.

So, will you vote to stop the polluting Raven coal mine, or at least insist on an environmental assessment and aquifer assessment be done before permits are granted? Our atmosphere and seafood industry are at great risk as well as the safety of our highways.

Will your work to give the sports fishers a fair share of the halibut catch? Those resources belong to all Canadians, Mr. Duncan.

Will you work to keep the $57 million in the Fisheries and Oceans domain to assist in keeping the big draggers from destroying our fisheries? Will you work to keep the huge oil tankers away from our coast to further destroy our fisheries? To say nothing of the whales which are declining in numbers.

Will you work to bring our servicemen home from unwinnable wars? Read your Bible, sir, and you will discover that those Eastern countries have been at war since the beginning of recorded history, and will continue to be at war into whatever future we may have. It is their way of life.

It is time to concentrate on our northern regions and defend Canada’s sovereignty in the Arctic. Russia has discarded nuclear waste spreading in those northern waters which are polluting, according to Dr. David Suzuki’s Arctic program last evening (April 12). He also cautions about tanker traffic in unstable ships through our pristine waters.

These are some of the concerns regarding our future and are of vital importance to us as B.C.’ers and Canadians. We expect you to stand up for our concerns, that is why you are sent to Ottawa. Only then do you deserve our vote.

G.F. White,
Union Bay

http://www.bclocalnews.com/opinion/letters/120918194.html

Time to Toss Out The Trash methinks!  ;)
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:21 AM »

And down the stretch they come
Gloves come off as candidates eye the finish line
By Dan MacLennan, Courier-Islander April 29, 2011

Conservative candidate John Duncan has claimed the campaign "high road" while calling his fellow candidates ignorant and inexperienced.

That sparked return fire from NDP candidate Ronna-Rae Leonard and the Liberal's Mike Holland as the 2011 election campaign entered its final days. Holland said Duncan's record shows him to be unfit for public office. Leonard said the Conservatives have led the way with "negative US-style attack ads".

"We are heading into the home stretch," Duncan said at a sparsely attended Wednesday afternoon press conference. "We've had over four weeks. In that time it's become very clear that the main competition, the other two candidates from the NDP and the Liberals, are running a negative campaign, so I'm very proud of our team. We've stayed on the high road. We have not attacked the other candidates in any way."

Only seconds later, however, Duncan was on the attack.

"It's been very clear as we've traveled through the riding, that the other candidates had very little appreciation for the various communities and their issues and their priorities," he said. "I was much better prepared, as a brand new candidate, than the candidates that I'm facing, in terms of understanding the communities they're hoping to represent.

"My NDP opponent claims she will represent the riding, yet she has little comprehension or understanding of the resource industries that drive our economy."

"She has not been supportive or even demonstrated a strong interest in the forest sector, the aquaculture sector."

Duncan played the experience card again and again.

"The choice is to vote for an experienced candidate who understands all of the communities in this riding and knows how to get things done, or to vote for someone with little demonstrated understanding of the diversity and unique needs of our coastal communities and the families who live here," he said.

Duncan went on to boast "that I know the coast of British Columbia better than any other Member of Parliament from any party."

"My almost 13 years in opposition, my time in government and my time in Cabinet have given me an understanding of how things work that simply cannot be matched by my opponents," he said.

Duncan also thought little of his fellow candidates' performances at the all-candidates meetings to date.

"They have been amazingly consistent throughout the previous all-candidate meetings," he said. "I think part of the reason why is because they actually don't know the various communities, therefore they just stick to their script. I'm really the only candidate that's been adapting what I say to my community just because it's the right thing to do.

"The choice is clear. I'm asking people to vote for stability and experience."

Leonard said she was proud of the New Democrats for running a very positive campaign based on making life more affordable, generating jobs and improving health care.

"From the beginning the Conservatives have run negative US-style attack ads, but I don't think that works with the Canadian public," she said. "People tell me they like Jack Layton's practical solutions, and that's why there's such an NDP surge in Vancouver Island North and across the country.

"John Duncan claims he understands the priorities of our communities, but his actions tell another story. He voted for the HST in Parliament. He encourages the export of jobs and raw logs. He opposes Jack Layton's plan to strengthen pensions. These aren't the priorities of our community.

"I love this riding and I'll fight for our communities. As a city councillor I've shown that I have the experience and toughness to get things done as your Member of Parliament."

Holland agreed Duncan's record and experience shouldn't be ignored.

"John is right, his experience should be an issue, and it disqualifies him from public office," Holland said. "Maybe if John's record wasn't so negative, our calling attention to it wouldn't be so bad.

"We first sent him to Ottawa in 1993 and he quickly began building a record of being low profile and doing as little as possible. When he did pop back up, it was to go against his promises. As a Reformer he ran in 1993 against what he called gold-plated MP pensions, but once elected he was one of the first to opt back in.

"If Mr. Duncan wants to run on his record, how about his record of promising to never tax income trusts and then wiping out billions in Canadian seniors' retirement savings overnight?

"How about his refusing to meet with veterans to discuss why he voted against ending the clawback of their pensions? How about his refusing to meet with halibut fishermen to discuss resource allocation? How about his ignoring local experts on the Point Race? John is a member of the party that has spent millions in taxpayer-subsidized dollars demonizing the last two Liberal leaders with the worst personal slurs and attacks, so for him to bemoan the alleged negativity of others is laughable in the extreme."
© Copyright (c) Postmedia News
http://www.canada.com/down+stretch+they+come/4694579/story.html

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:55 AM »

Halibut News flash from the future

Jan 1, 2012
From the office of John Duncan
Minister of Commercial Fisheries and Oceans Canada

I am pleased today to announce that last year’s experimental halibut fishery has been a great success. I have meet with retired halibut fisherman and found that they will not be seeking financial assistance again this year if the experimental halibut fishery continues. With this knowledge I have meet with all stakeholders, and except for recreational and active halibut fishers, we have agreement on all sides that this program should continue. Therefore today I am happy to announce that for the 2012 and forward the experimental halibut fishery will be come permanent. The new name for the fishery will be “ Canadian Halibut Integrated TAC” or CHIT for short. In anticipation to many questions I know you may have I have enclosed this short Q&A for your review.

Q- What is the purpose of the CHIT halibut fishery and what is being accomplished?
A- The CHIT halibut fishery will be market-based mechanism that allows an CHIT licence holder to acquire halibut quota from the retired commercial sector to fish for recreational purposes. The slipper skippers will have a steady income for themselves and their future generations and they can be assured not to have to work for a living.

Q-How will this CHIT halibut fishery work?
A-CHIT halibut licences are being made available for the rest of time (your kids will thank us). In addition to the regular tidal water sport fishing licence, recreational harvesters can obtain an CHIT halibut licence, on a mandatory basis, that will allow the licence holder to lease halibut quota from retired commercial harvesters, thereby giving them certainty for retirement planning purposes. The additional quota associated with the CHIT halibut licence will allow individual recreational harvesters to fish beyond the current limits of a standard recreational license (a daily limit of 1/2 and possession limit of 1), up to the amount of additional quota acquired on the CHIT halibut licence.

Q-How will recreational harvesters be able to access commercial quota?
A-The Department will work with participants in the permanent program to direct them to the appropriate information. Commercial Fisheries and Oceans Canada annually publishes a list of 435 commercial halibut licence holders, including the person or company that holds the license and quota. Due to privacy issues this list has been crypto graphed and you will need special glasses to see it. Glasses can be purchased at our Tuktoyaktuk office only.

Q- How will we be able to find commercial harvesters willing to sell quota?
A- The Jim Pattison Group of Companies working with DFO will make available, at all there locations, a coupon book for halibut quota. Pricing has been confirmed and we are happy to report a special rate of ten dollars per pound,+ HST. The new coupon books will be called the “Pension on Ocean Halibut” or POOH for short.

Q- Can I take this CHIT and POOH and stick it up your…… where the sun don’t shine?
A- Currently DFO is not accepting ideas as that’s not the process. If you would like to get involved with the process you can waste your time in countless meetings that are put on for show in you community. The decisions are made back east with the lobbyists that are currently paid by the commercial fishing organizations.

Q-I’m a retired halibut fisherman what’s in it for me.
A-You lucky bastard keep your mouth shut and maybe if we get re-elected you will keep those pension funds rolling in. Better yet send letters to the local papers with your distorted view on how we should run this Canadian Commercial Resource.

Q-I just want to go and have a chance to catch a couple of Halibut what do I have to do?
A- You will have to take CHIT and POOH from us until we have a new Minister.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »

Duncan's position smells
By Frank Burden, Comox Valley Echo April 29, 2011

So, John Duncan cares about our coastal communities.

That is most interesting because it begs the question of what he has done to resolve the impasse regarding the halibut allocation during his term as our M.P and more recently as a minister with, presumably, some influence at the cabinet table.Only now that he is fighting for his political life does he address this long-standing issue in his constituency.

Mr Duncan says that he will designate a senior member of his staff to work with representatives from the three sectors within the riding with the objective of providing practical recommendations to the Minister of Fisheries.

What arrogance! Mr. Duncan is currently only one of six candidates on the ballot as a prospective Member of Parliament for Vancouver Island North, has no staff and doesn't even know who the Minister of Fisheries will be or who will be the Member of Parliament for this riding.

Move over John. Your position on the fishery allocation is beginning to smell.

Frank Burden

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 10:35:51 AM »

Candidate Q and A - Halibut allocation
Kitimat Sentinel
Published: April 29, 2011 8:00 AM

Where do you stand on the halibut allocation issue?

Maggie Braun

When an individual’s right to fish is taken away and given to large companies to profit financially from, I stand on the side of logic.

The halibut are a Canadian resource and should be used to feed our families. Those who have interfered with and diminished those resources should contribute whatever is needed to empower the people to restore them. We all benefit from that.

Healthy populations of halibut for human (family, not commercial) and ecosystem needs has to be the top priority, and decisions about how to achieve or preserve that can best be made by the communities involved.

Nathan Cullen

The current halibut allocation policy is an offense to our most basic Canadian value: that public resources like fish belong to the public at the end of the day.

For years now successive Liberal and Conservative governments have been pushing the quota system on commercial fishermen and now the sports sector as well.

This agenda allows individuals to buy up tonnes of halibut and then rent them back to people trying to make a living. Fishermen ‘lease’ the halibut for $5 a pound and then make only a dollar or two at the market.

This year the catch is lower than usual and the recreational and charter fishermen believe there will be no more fish after August 1st. This creates real uncertainty and threatens business.

We need a policy that ensures that who has the quota has to fish it and that the public have fair access to our public fishery.

Clay Harmon

The following points outline our position on the halibut fishery:

1. Our government recognizes the value of the halibut fishery to the people of British Columbia.

2. The decision on the 2011 Pacific halibut fishing season maintains the current allocation formula that has been in place since 2003. The recreational fishery opened this year on March 1 with a daily limit of one halibut and a possession limit of two.

3. The key difference, however, for this season is the availability of an experimental license to any individual wishing to fish recreationally outside of the current recreational limits.

The experimental licence will allow the license holder to lease additional access that can be fished in addition to their regular recreational license.

4. The issuance of experimental licences is intended as an interim measure, and as such, minister Shea has asked her parliamentary secretary, Randy Kamp, to lead a process aimed at developing additional fisheries management and allocation options prior to the 2012 season.

These options will meet the following objectives:

Conservation: ensuring all halibut fisheries are fished within the total allowable catch.

Economic prosperity through predictable access for all users.

Flexibility through an effective mechanism for transfers between the sectors.

These options provide the opportunity to have access to the halibut fishery in the current year through the experimental license and provide the time to lead a process aimed at developing additional fisheries management and allocation options prior to the 2012 season.

I have listened to representatives of both the commercial and the sport fishery and look forward to future meetings with both groups to help cut the red tape towards an equitable resolution when I am elected as Member of Parliament for the Skeena Bulkley Valley Electoral District.

A Conservative vote will help to resolve this issue according to plan.

Rod Taylor

The halibut resource belongs to all Canadians and should not be controlled by 436 quota holders.

As both a food resource and recreational opportunity, BC’s anglers should be allowed reasonable catch opportunities during a normal fishing season.

Quota currently held by the 436 quota-holders should be subject to “use it or lose it.” Unused quota should be made available to other Canadians (recreational anglers) and should not become itself an exorbitantly-priced and leveraged commodity.

I support the idea that a recreational angler could take the limit of two halibut in a single day; I believe that is reasonable and allows for some efficiency and reduced costs for anglers.

Kyle Warwick

As usual, the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans has failed to do their job properly. As in past decades, they have failed to adequately consult commercial, recreational, and First Nations fishermen, in order to find an allocation that all sides can accept.

As MP, I will pressure the DFO to sit down with each group and to genuinely listen to their demands, rather than simply imposing quotas from Ottawa, without a proper understanding of the conditions on the ground here on the North Coast.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_north/northernsentinel/news/120633904.html

"A Conservative vote will help to resolve this issue according to plan." May as well have simply said BEND OVER!   ::)
We recognize exactly what will happen according to their "Plan". Even Harper's desperate speaking to the matter of late notes that he and his party are pleased with what they have done thus far to screw us. Time for a few of them to embrace the words of one of the Fish Brokers in this matter: Let Them Play Golf!   ;)

Cheers,
Nog