Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rice Lake - disgusted at the amount of garbage  (Read 3446 times)

noobfisher

Rice Lake - disgusted at the amount of garbage
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »

Was at Rice Lake to fish this morning, haven't been there for a few months.  Really disappointed in how it is being treated by the some of the rotten apples in the fishing community.  You can walk around the entire lake and not see one bit of trash or garbage, but go near any of the fishing spots and it's  embarrassing.  I went to one spot and get this, someone had cut and torn down branches and ferns to make a shelter for the rain that was left up, probably in the last week or so.  There was blue and yellow nylon rope and plastic garbage bags hanging from the trees.  I spent fifteen minutes cleaning up the area which included:

2 garbage bags, 1 water bottle, 1 metal can, 1 pink towel with burn marks, two handfuls of fishing line, 3 empty cans of powerbait, a Tim Horton's cup, 1/2 dozen cigarette butts and someone's leftover grapefruit peelings.

There is no excuse for any litter at Rice Lake with all the garbage cans around.

There was also someone there fishing with two fishing lines as well, who stopped once they saw me coming (busted).  

I would really like to see the Park Rangers walk thru this area so that the polluters and poachers know they are being watched.  Thanks, needed to get that rant of my chest.

brownmancheng

Re: Rice Lake - disgusted at the amount of garbage
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:44:34 PM »

U picked up grapefruit peels?? I'm not sure if they would fall under garbage category or compost

noobfisher

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »

U picked up grapefruit peels?? I'm not sure if they would fall under garbage category or compost

::)

brownmancheng

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 05:25:22 PM »

But kudos on the rest of it, just giving ya a hard time

noobfisher

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »

But kudos on the rest of it, just giving ya a hard time

;D

strobes

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »

Grapefruit do not grow naturally in Canada. Therefore I count them as garbage ;) but good on you for doing your part.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

D.Sams

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »

I am rather dissapointed to hear this, as am planning on making a trip up there this weekend or early next week. Good on you though, for cleaning up after someone too ignorant to do it themselves.

jimmywits

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 08:09:15 PM »

Was at Rice Lake to fish this morning, haven't been there for a few months.  Really disappointed in how it is being treated by the some of the rotten apples in the fishing community.  You can walk around the entire lake and not see one bit of trash or garbage, but go near any of the fishing spots and it's  embarrassing.  I went to one spot and get this, someone had cut and torn down branches and ferns to make a shelter for the rain that was left up, probably in the last week or so.  There was blue and yellow nylon rope and plastic garbage bags hanging from the trees.  I spent fifteen minutes cleaning up the area which included:

2 garbage bags, 1 water bottle, 1 metal can, 1 pink towel with burn marks, two handfuls of fishing line, 3 empty cans of powerbait, a Tim Horton's cup, 1/2 dozen cigarette butts and someone's leftover grapefruit peelings.

Thanks for doing that, that is the only way it's going to happen, as there does not seem to be any resources dedicated by the authorities to monitor and rectify this problem!!

There is no excuse for any litter at Rice Lake with all the garbage cans around.

There was also someone there fishing with two fishing lines as well, who stopped once they saw me coming (busted).  

I would really like to see the Park Rangers walk thru this area so that the polluters and poachers know they are being watched.  Thanks, needed to get that rant of my chest.

brownmancheng

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »

Grapefruit do not grow naturally in Canada. Therefore I count them as garbage ;) but good on you for doing your part.

Another one of those pesky invasive species ruining our environment.

one more cast

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 11:09:44 PM »

It's also "possible"  it's a homeless person......>>>"someone had cut and torn down branches and ferns to make a shelter for the rain that was left up, probably in the last week or so.  There was blue and yellow nylon rope and plastic garbage bags hanging from the trees."

noobfisher

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 11:13:01 AM »

It's also "possible"  it's a homeless person......>>>"someone had cut and torn down branches and ferns to make a shelter for the rain that was left up, probably in the last week or so.  There was blue and yellow nylon rope and plastic garbage bags hanging from the trees."

Definitely not, this was for someone to sit under while they were fishing. 

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »

Good on you for picking it up.

I think they only thing you can do that genuinely makes a difference is to pick it up, hope someone notices its a little cleaner and they themselves pickup what they find and so on. 

1son

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 07:42:47 PM »

what a bunch of animals no respect what so ever thank god for people like u doin good deeds :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 08:08:13 PM »

Some of you here may also wish to help cleanup the Chilliwack Vedder on April 16, more info here.

http://www.cleanrivers.ca/