Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Circle Hook Survey for Anglers  (Read 1913 times)

salmonsurvey

Circle Hook Survey for Anglers
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »

Hi everyone,

I am a Master's student working with the fish ecology and conservation physiology lab at Carleton University. We are conducting a survey research and require your input.
In an effort to better understand what the angling community thinks about circle hooks, you are invited to complete a short online survey where you will have the opportunity to provide input on this topic.  The target community is anglers in North America that have used circle hooks at least once. 

The information you provide us is important! By completing the survey, you help ensure that the results are as complete and useful as possible. Your participation in this survey is voluntary and you may decide to stop at any time.  You cannot be personally identified.

For further information on survey data collection procedures and safeguards regarding confidentiality, contact Dr. Steven Cooke (Associate Professor, Carleton University, Ottawa) at steven_cooke@carleton.ca.  Findings from the survey will be available at www.carleton.ca/fecpl by mid June.  In addition, results from the survey will be incorporated into an overview presentation on biological and social aspects of circle hook use in recreational fisheries at the upcoming first world conference on circle hooks.

You can access the survey herehttp://app.fluidsurveys.com/s/circlesurvey/

The survey portal will be open until April 10th 2011.  Please share this posting with others that you know have experience with circle hooks.

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Circle Hook Survey for Anglers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »

--completed survey.. not to complicated and only a few minutes with room to comment and give opinion..
--I look forward to results as well as comments on how people are using circle hooks other than obvious for bait.

--I have been experimenting with them for a few years.. as trail hooks on flies, hoochies, spoons and spinners... very difficult to find smaller sizes except on line and have never seen the thin wire hooks used by Moffat method fly sold seperate. 

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Circle Hook Survey for Anglers
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:48:27 AM »

They seem to be mostly concerned with gut-hooking, when the real benefit for circle hooks in coastal waters is prevention of accidental snagging of salmon.
I'm guessing the BBers will struggle if forced to use circle hooks  :P