Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anyone know the Answer to this?  (Read 2565 times)

mykisscrazy

Does anyone know the Answer to this?
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:41:23 PM »

So in the Aquaculture Industry we are led to believe, that before the fish is put to market the Canadian Food and Inspection Services makes sure everything is safe to eat.

Every step of the way fish are being sampled to make sure diseases aren't being spread either to us or into the wild.

Do the Federal and more specifically the Provincial Hatcheries have to go through all of this as well? Especially since the Freshwater Fisheries Society releases catchables into our waters. Does the transport truck just go to one area do the release, then go back get disinfected before heading out again?

Also how many anglers disinfect all their gear before heading out to another body of water? The research is out there that Felt Soles, boats, etc are know carriers of nasty things. So much so that New Zealand has banned the use of felt soled wading boots.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Does anyone know the Answer to this?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »

So in the Aquaculture Industry we are led to believe, that before the fish is put to market the Canadian Food and Inspection Services makes sure everything is safe to eat.

Every step of the way fish are being sampled to make sure diseases aren't being spread either to us or into the wild.

Do the Federal and more specifically the Provincial Hatcheries have to go through all of this as well? Especially since the Freshwater Fisheries Society releases catchables into our waters. Does the transport truck just go to one area do the release, then go back get disinfected before heading out again?

Also how many anglers disinfect all their gear before heading out to another body of water? The research is out there that Felt Soles, boats, etc are know carriers of nasty things. So much so that New Zealand has banned the use of felt soled wading boots.

I agree that the "Canadian Food and Inspection Services makes sure everything is safe to eat."   However it is becoming increasingly obvious that no one is looking out to make sure that diseases are not being spread to the wild......

On your point about felt soles, I believe Alaska has already banned them.

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

StillAqua

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 04:51:17 AM »

Our food safety inspection programs are not what everyone thinks they are anymore. The Fed gov't has been cutting back the CFIA and allowing the food importers and industry to police themselves. Check out the website that CFIA employees are running anonymously
http://www.foodsafetyfirst.ca/

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »

[/quote]
 Don't know about the Freshwater Fisheries Society but the DFO hatcheries do have to go through this  except they use a DFO vet as per the Fish Health Management Plan that each site adheres too. Fish have to be healthy on release and yes the transport tanks and gear are disenfected between releases if the releases are out of watershed (ie: releasing fish in the Chehalis and then useing the same truck and tanks to move fish to the Sunshine Coast would require disenfection between trips).

D.Sams

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 03:47:11 PM »

I cannot speak for any other anglers, but I do thoroughly disinfect my gear after each use.  I didn't know that both New Zealand and Alaska had banned them, though I can't say I'm surprised.