Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: B.C. anglers want Ottawa to charge them more to fish salmon  (Read 6125 times)

mykisscrazy

B.C. anglers want Ottawa to charge them more to fish salmon
MARK HUME
VANCOUVER— From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Mar. 08, 2011 1:04AM EST
Last updated Tuesday, Mar. 08, 2011 1:05AM EST

Sports anglers in British Columbia have asked the federal government to charge them more to go salmon fishing.

But the 300,000 anglers who annually buy salt-water licences on the West Coast just can’t get the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to agree to a fee hike, a federal commission appointed by Prime Minister Stephen Harper heard Monday.

“We have been enormously frustrated by the Department’s inability to charge us more money,” Gerry Kristianson told the Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River.

Mr. Kristianson, Chair of the Sport Fishery Advisory Board (SFAB), said salt-water-fishing licences haven’t increased in price since the mid-1990s, and anglers are prepared to pay more if the money will be returned by the government to help manage the resource.

He said his board, which advises DFO on a voluntary basis, has been told the request for higher licence fees is caught up in government red tape.

Mr. Kristianson said it seems odd any group “is unable to have the government collect more money from it,” and urged Commissioner Bruce Cohen to look into the situation.

Mr. Cohen, a Supreme Court of B.C. judge who is heading the inquiry, made no comment, but was busy taking notes throughout the testimony by Mr. Kristianson, Frank Kwak, a recreational angler who serves on many advisory bodies, and Jeremy Maynard, past chair of the SFAB and a professional fishing guide.

An annual salt-water-salmon licence costs a resident $21, and a non-resident $101.

Mr. Kristianson did not say how much more anglers wanted to pay, and panel members aren’t allowed to take questions from the media while under oath. By comparison, the province charges residents $36 and non-residents $55, for an annual fresh-water licence. The provincial licence allows fishermen to catch salmon once they have left the ocean and entered rivers.

Mr. Kwak said the province is considering hiking its fresh-water licence fees, and urged Mr. Cohen to keep that in mind should he make any recommendations concerning increases to the federal salt-water licence.

He told the Commission “upward of 5,000 fishermen a day” can be seen on the Fraser during the sockeye run, but said it is not clear how many fish they catch, because DFO doesn’t have a comprehensive or rigorous way of collecting catch data.

Mr. Kwak questioned whether an accurate count of anglers can be made from patrol flights over the Fraser. And he said DFO workers, who ask anglers on the river how many fish they have caught, in an onsite survey, can get misleading data, because fishermen exaggerate how many fish they have caught.

He said that often takes people from his church fishing, and when they are questioned by DFO surveyors, he will hear them say they caught 15 or 20 pink salmon, when in fact they might have had that many briefly hooked, but lost them all.

Mr. Kristianson said surveys can be reliable, but that DFO surveyors need to be given the authority to inspect an anglers’ catch, rather than just relying on fishermen to volunteer a catch estimate.

The Cohen Commission is expected to turn to scientific issues Tuesday, after finishing with the recreational fishing panel.

mykisscrazy

Re: B.C. anglers want Ottawa to charge them more to fish salmon
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I would not be too happy if there was an increase in price. Partly because I very rarely keep anything. Will have a hard time justifying an increase in any way to people who release their catch.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:49:57 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I would not be too happy if there was an increase in price. Partly because I very rarely keep anything. Will have a hard time justifying an increase in any way to people who release their catch.

Are you suggesting we create 2 classes of fishermen by whether they catch or release? Maybe charge different fees based on whether they fly fish or use gear....  How about a different charge for bait users versus artificial lures...

You can see how ridiculous it would get!

What difference should it make whether the fish is kept or released to the cost of a license? Daily, possession and annual catch limits are there for everyone, and are meant to help with conservation of stocks. The more folks out there fishing, the more the resource will get attention from government.  That's a good thing.

If the cost of licenses goes up fewer people will go fishing.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »

If the cost of licenses goes up fewer people will go fishing.

I doubt that will happen.  Probably means more fish will be bonked to make the trip worthwhile. Has the recent price of gas prevent you from fishing ?

mykisscrazy

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »

Why not have different license fees? Actually we already do when you take into consideration the various stamps one can buy..that are also another money grab...

I used to buy the Steelhead tag, but then I also went out and fished almost every day. As the years went on, I seem to have less and less free time, as well if I did go Steelheading I went to Streams that did not have a Hatchery Program. After spending a number of years heading out once or twice and then finding out none of the Steelhead license fees even went to the fishery in the way of hatchery costs or stream restoration, I stopped buying it. Same with the Salmon tag, but at least one can still fish for salmon with out the tag...You just can't keep any.

It would make my day if there were different license classes for how one fishes. Or better yet have more areas designated for various types of fishing. I'd bet $$ that the areas that are fly fishing only would have far less garbage, and other issues.

I also dream of the day when there is a total bait ban in BC. But that is only a dream...

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 04:36:11 PM »

I doubt that will happen.  Probably means more fish will be bonked to make the trip worthwhile. Has the recent price of gas prevent you from fishing ?

Everytime a cost goes up I look at how that affects my budget and something gets cut back. Unlike governments, I don't believe in running a deficit  (nor can I afford to).  ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 04:38:46 PM »

I also dream of the day when there is a total bait ban in BC. But that is only a dream...

With conservation concerns that may not be far away....

StillAqua

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 05:43:51 PM »

Mr. Kristianson, Chair of the Sport Fishery Advisory Board (SFAB), said salt-water-fishing licences haven’t increased in price since the mid-1990s, and anglers are prepared to pay more if the money will be returned by the government to help manage the resource.

I agree with a license cost increase IF it actually goes to management of the resource, like more fish cops, enhancement and habitat rehabilitation, studies on the impacts of fish farms and gravel extraction, things like that. But the current government hasn't shown any interest in wild salmon other than maximizing commercial fishing and is busy cutting back government programs to meet their philosophic goals, including DFO and Pacific fish and habitat management. The budget on March 22 may be revealing.....

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 07:47:40 PM »

I dream of that day too....bait will work so much better.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 08:56:11 AM »

Raise price or don't I don't care either way for it is my understanding that the government has been skimming heavily of the top of those funds for a long time for other things.  I feel it is imperative to ensure that our licensing fees go towards our sport fisheries, and game management like they have fought for in the states. 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 09:08:45 AM »

C'mon, our fishing licenses are DIRT CHEAP, if you think about it.  I can fully license myself for the year (including frreshwater, saltwater, and classified waters) for the same price it costs to hit Whistler for ONE DAY of skiing, or ONE ROUND of golf, etc. 

I don't want prices to skyrocket, but assuming the money goes back into the resource directly, I would support a minor to moderate increase in the cost of an annual license.

Tex - wondering what releasing one's catch has to do with the perceived value of a license?

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 12:19:20 AM »

I dream of that day too....bait will work so much better.

You don't think a province wide bait ban would only encourage more and more snagging. 

Raise the price of fresh and salt water licenses to at least 100$ a year and put all of the money back into our fishery.  Just my 2 cents..

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 08:01:31 AM »

You don't think a province wide bait ban would only encourage more and more snagging. 

Raise the price of fresh and salt water licenses to at least 100$ a year and put all of the money back into our fishery.  Just my 2 cents..

ofcourse it would, hence my post of how much better bait would work if they banned it....no need to ban bait especially on hatchery rivers.... i can understand small runs of wild steelhead that need to be protected, but most of those are already fly only or bait ban, and honestly, if the run is so small that there is gear restrictions like that I would fish else where anyways as fish like that dont need to be harrassed by anything let alone bait.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 08:21:58 AM »

--Instead of raising the license price how about we...as individuals.. when we buy our license.. make a direct donation to a fishing club or hatchery or fishing research project up to the price of what we think the license should be or what we can afford to give back to the sport.
--If your short of money donate some time to river clean up.. doesn't have to be an organized one.. just take a garbage bag with you and clean up whatever you can at the the end of the day.
--Instead of going on your own jump in the truck with a buddy thus savings of one tank of gas.. cost me $75 a fill which can be donated to fishing causes rather than the oil companies.

--I do not care what government is in power, none of them can keep their hands off cash no matter how well meaning they are or what they say in their campaign speeches.