Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prosperity mine plan resubmitted  (Read 1801 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Prosperity mine plan resubmitted
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:51:49 PM »

Prosperity mine plan resubmitted

Taseko Mines has announced plans to increase production at its Gibraltar Mine, and has resubmitted its application to develop the Prosperity gold and copper mine near Williams Lake.
Black Press files
By Tom Fletcher - BC Local News
Published: February 21, 2011 4:00 PM
Updated: February 21, 2011 4:37 PM

Taseko Mines Ltd. has resubmitted its environmental application for the Prosperity Mine near Williams Lake to the federal government, with a new plan that avoids draining a lake to get at the copper and gold deposit.
In a statement released Monday, Taseko CEO Russell Hallbauer said the price of copper and gold has nearly doubled since his company began its studies in 2005.  The rising price of metals has allowed the company to budget an additional $300 million for construction and and operating costs for the life of the mine. The revised plan preserves Fish Lake, which was proposed to be drained and replaced with an artificial lake to mitigate the habitat loss.
The Tsilhqot'in National Government and member aboriginal bands gained national support for their objections, and last November the federal government refused to issue an environmental permit for the project.
"Our initiative to preserve Fish Lake and accommodate the concerns of the federal government and First Nations communities is a major commitment and undertaking by Taseko," Hallbauer said. "We look forward to working with all levels of government, First Nations communities, the City of Williams Lake and with the Cariboo Regional District on moving this project forward in the coming months."
The B.C. Liberal government issued an environmental permit for the project, and criticized the federal process for not considering the economic benefits. B.C. Liberal leadership candidate Christy Clark promised to lobby the federal government to reconsider, prompting an angry response from aboriginal leaders.
"Does Christy Clark see Russia from her living room window?" asked Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs president Stewart Phillip, comparing Clark's support of the mine to former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin's slogan "drill baby drill."

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Prosperity mine plan resubmitted
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:44:59 PM »

--the original environmental permit proposal was a joke... they obviously thought they could just get away with it given the Ottawa and BC governments disdain for environmental protection.
--Prosperity may have shot themselves in the foot as the original proposal ticked so many people off they may not now be persuaded at any costs.
--In fact I think the proposal was so bad they should be given a fine for wasting the time of the Environmental reviewers.

--I'm all for mining when they accept best practices, but they must also be willing to walk away if the project isn't environmentally viable.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:48:19 PM by skaha »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:45:55 PM »

This new proposal was expected and my guess is the town of Willliams Lake says thanks as the economic benefits of this mine are enormous.

I've worked with the Tsilhqot'in National Government on fisheries issues ... they are a very, very proud group who have intelligent, forward thinking leaders who know they have power and much say in what will happen in their territory.  They know big money is coming and I expect the TNG will endorse this project but only when the timing works for them.

I like that.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »

It's going to be a hard sell after all the fuss over "we have to turn the lake into a tailings pond". These guy's are heading straight for the Urban Dictionary.

Prosperity Mine: To "boondoggle" your "gold fever" while letting someone "hold your poodle".
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?