Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monofilament line life time  (Read 6023 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Monofilament line life time
« on: February 16, 2011, 01:15:24 PM »

So I have a question about how long mono line will last in storage before it starts to break down and weaken.
I was given a bag of old rubber worms, gooey bobs and rubber single eggs of all sizes. As well as a dozen or so cork floats...need to clear coat them or something. Although those are old they're in good shape and will use them.
also amongst all those are a bunch of spools of maxima line, most are new but they've been sittingin a closet for years and years. Useable or garbage?
Thanks

bklem

Re: Monofilament line life time
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »

Depends on how it was stored.  I've got some old line my grandpa gave me a while ago, the line that was still in the box, and spools that were stored in his tackle boxes are all still good, however the half used spools that have seen time on the boat, or in the sun have all lost their tensile strength.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:58:33 PM »

My grandpa gave me a old spool of 20 lb maxima that hes has sitting around for 25 years which he gave to me cus he stopped fishing. I just cut off about the top layer of line and underneth that the line was perfect, still use it for my leaders for springs.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »

As bklem mentioned, it really depends on how well it was stored.
It could be OK or not, but would be difficult to tell as any line will fail if there is just one small weak point along the entire line.
My advice is, why risk it for steelhead fishing?
For most anglers, steelhead is difficult enough to hook under even ideal conditions in the lower mainland.
If you want to use it, best use it for pentiful and easy to hook species like spring or coho.
For most people, if a line breaks while fising for salmon, there is little regret, but same might not be said for steelhead. :)

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »

As bklem mentioned, it really depends on how well it was stored.
It could be OK or not, but would be difficult to tell as any line will fail if there is just one small weak point along the entire line.
My advice is, why risk it for steelhead fishing?
For most anglers, steelhead is difficult enough to hook under even ideal conditions in the lower mainland.
If you want to use it, best use it for pentiful and easy to hook species like spring or coho.
For most people, if a line breaks while fising for salmon, there is little regret, but same might not be said for steelhead. :)
I was more curious than anything. Seems like a waste to throw it all away, there must be a way to recycle it.
I'm talking 15 spools of line half are in boxes.
Of all the goodies in the bag I'll use all the rubber worms and eggs. Would hate to lose the cork floats...pretty sure my grandpa made them.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 09:56:35 PM »

Wow! 15 spools is a lot of mono.
In that case, best look for a viable way to use it.
Sorry I don't have any suggestions. :)

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:41:54 PM »

--each line is different... but as most have said if it was in cool, dark place and is still pliable it is probably OK.
--some lines are treated to keep them pliable... this can cause the line to break down over time even if stored properly.
--exposure to some gasses may also cause line to deteriorate.

--If I was guiding I probably wouldn't put it on a clients spool but hey I can afford to loose a fish myself once and a while.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »

Gas to drive to the Vedder and back... $20-40
Annual expenditure on tackle... $ couple hundred
New leader material for days fishing... <$1

Why skimp?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:22:54 PM »

the worst thing for mono are uv rays...if they were kept in a relatively cool and dark space, they should be fine otherwise i would test them out during pink and chinook season (maybe as leaders), but i wouldn't use them for steelhead...just not worth it.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 08:19:32 AM »

-not just as a protest against bullying.... I use pink line which disappears quickly with depth in the water, is fairly visible above water for following line. Most modern lines have UV inhibitors so if the pink starts to fade it is likely time to change it.

--Brittle Ande line---- I'm not sure if this is their new line... the idea is that once the package is opened the line begins to deteriorate and is intended for use in one season then deteriorates more rapidly... this is coming into favour with environmentalist who see lines that do not deteriorate for many years are a hazard. There are movements in some countries to Ban lines with long shelf life for use in areas that have high presser or have protected species... (such as the platypus) in the area which can be entangled in these lines.
--This was one of the knocks on using braid in rivers...thin diameter and doesn't break easily.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 09:43:03 AM »

pink line...  :o does it come in mens ;D i have seen two different types. the maxima of course, the girl friend spotted it at A&N. but way back when i got a spool of  pink line from the prez of the wcba. i think its platypus 3kg.  and i got the girlfriends ultra light spooled up and she loves it.. i am wondering if it will be strong enough for the upcoming pinks?
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »

-- Platypus lo-stretch Line comes in pink, steel blue and ultra vis orange. The line has about 12% stretch which is no problem for guys used to using braid with near zero stretch. Yes I donated line to some of the fishing clubs to give out to members or use as fund raisers.

--Just a reminder the line is IGFA rated thus intended to break at or just below the # test rating so you may want to go to higher #test than current line you use for same feel.

--For finesse fishing I'd reccomend super 100 but not pink,  it only comes in clear and brown.

--Thanks for giving the line a try.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 02:00:19 PM by skaha »