Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: that brown meat?!?  (Read 5942 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
that brown meat?!?
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:23:14 AM »

I have always thought that the darker meat that is on the lateral line of a fish (between the skin and the normal flesh) was stronger and often funkier tasting than the normal muscle tissue.  Its that same darker meat that really puts off a bad taste on white springs (IMO). 

Anyhow we did some sashimi from a sockeye last night...the brown part was definitely strong tasting (unenjoyable) while the rest of the flesh was delicious with no aftertaste.  I am going to start filleting that dark meat out!

Anyone else notice this or know why its like that?

Kenwee

Re: that brown meat?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »

I feel that the brown meat seems more chewy whereas the red parts are more tender. Also when smoked, the brown meat seems more tough and rubber like. If cooked, it is OK,

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:04:35 AM »

That "brown meat" is the red muscle of a fish.
It is the endurance swimming muscles that they use all the time.
It is also the part of the fish that stores all the toxins, etc. That's why it normally gets taken out of tuna and fed to cats/dogs, etc.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:46:00 AM »

brown meat is what they refer to as blood meat ...high in omega 3, but as you noticed some what bitter in taste and almost gamie.

StillAqua

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »

I think you`re talking about the dark fat layer between the skin and the muscle. It`s strong tasting and smelling because it`s high fat and fat carries a lot of the flavours and aromas. in all meats. I always trim mine off. And it does store a lot of the fat soluble toxins (PCBs, PAHs, etc.).