Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Salish Sucker  (Read 17964 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

mykisscrazy

Re: The Salish Sucker
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »

I am very interested to see hopw this will all play out!
Personally I think it's good to have set backs, but then I am not a farmer.
Having these setbacks will not only help the sucker but other fish, amphibians, etc etc
But in the end it always comes back to $$

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:25:11 PM »

The biggest setback is John (sucker vote me in) Les.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

penn

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:23:18 PM »

I am very interested to see hopw this will all play out!
Personally I think it's good to have set backs, but then I am not a farmer.
Having these setbacks will not only help the sucker but other fish, amphibians, etc etc
But in the end it always comes back to $$

You probably wouldn't mind if the govt. confiscated half your property either  would you ? Or is it just alright to do it to someone else ?

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:30 PM »

Id hate to be a farmer, seeing what Ive worked hard all my life over go to not because the world needs another sucker.
Take the T out of Morton.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 08:42:50 AM »

--So move Vancouver off the Delta

--Government (not the workers) is lazy... no matter what they say about a plan... they will just make a rule, then send out some poor rule enforcer to tell those who are affected...
--Haven't seen this plan but have seen many others. The failure I see to good planning is the malicious intent of some groups to profit from or use the plan as a publicity stunt for their own causes.

--It is often difficult to get good information on the real issue and sort that out from those just beating their own drum.

--What I would like to know.. bottom line... basic questions answered... to sustain a viable  population how many suckers do we need...how much physical space needs to be regulated and how are we going to measure the results.
--Included in how many do we need.. is this the centre of the population or is this the fringe of the population
--Finally.. some species have over time disappeared.. long before people were around... we cannot run everything like a Zoo..where we have a set number of species and composition in an artificial habitat.

--This does not mean I am against the study nor the proposal for protection, but I want to see some real science and answers to some basic questions in the report and recommendations.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 09:09:10 AM »

Saving the Salish sucker has benefits for salmon as well. Most of these ditches where the suckers are found are feeder creeks for major salmon bearing streams.

While I appreciate that the "landholder" may be disadvantaged, they don't legally "own" their land. The government can and will do whatever they believe is in the best interests of everyone. In Canada the Queen actually owns all the land. The government is responsible for managing the country on behalf of the Queen.....

http://www.whoownstheworld.com/canada/
"All physical land in Canada is the property of the Crown, Queen Elisabeth 11. There is no provision in the Canada Act, or in the Constitution Act 1982 which amends it, for any Canadian to own any physical land in Canada. All that Canadians may hold, in conformity with medieval and feudal law, is “an interest in an estate in land in fee simple”. Land defined as ‘Crown land’ in Canada, and administered by the Federal Government and the Provinces, is merely land not ‘dedicated’ or assigned in freehold tenure. Freehold is tenure, not ownership. Freehold land is ‘held’ not ‘owned’."

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »

So what your saying is starve the people but save the sucker? I fail to see the logic in that, so lets keep grabbing farmland and save the fishy but let the general populace starve. ???

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 11:44:27 AM »

How does keeping riparian areas equal starving people  ??? at least with keeping the riparian area it benefits the environment, unlike releasing farmland from the ALR, which only benefits the rich developers.For far too long farmers have been allowed to pollute our waters and yes these creeks are "our" waters. Problem is farmers have a tendency to think of what benefits themselves rather than what benefits the greater good. 

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 12:06:09 PM »

Just remember that when your at the cash register payin $10 for a loaf of bread, I agree the enviroment is important, but I tend to put people first where its obvious, like farms, not some dinky Salish Sucker. Where will it end?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »

Dinky salish sucker... Nice... They just happened to be found in a few headwaters on the planet, are genetically distinct to other minnow species due to being isolated since the Pleistocene glaciation.

Sure, lets rid them. They serve no commercial, recreational, social importance to us anyway. :)

Another species to add to the list of evil species for culling, as they interfere with human interest.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:35:52 PM by Rodney »

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »

protecting the few riparian areas that are left will not add a significant amount to the price at the store and their is a benefit to farmers, lowered land value means paying less on property taxes ;). will farmers pass on the added savings.. I doubt it  ;D

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »

They serve no commercial, recreational, social importance to us anyway.

My point exactly.

As for farmers passing on the savings, take a look what farmers are paid for their harvest, then tell me if they should pass on the savings.
We dont need farms anyway. Lets just import it all from the south and the far east.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »

They serve no commercial, recreational, social importance to us anyway.

My point exactly.

After running this forum for almost ten years, I'm still surprised by what I find from time to time.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »

So what your saying is we aren't entitled to our own opinions, sorry I dont see somethings through your eyes Rod.