Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The HST vote - making a decision  (Read 124070 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: The HST vote - making a decision
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 08:54:42 AM »

Novabonker, you make it clear every time you post that you are on an anti-government campaign. You only bit$h and complain, you never suggest a constructive alternative.

I enjoy a good debate. I don't take politics that seriously, and I try to look at the forest rather than just the rotten trees....

Having a discussion with you is pointless so I avoid it.....   ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

CameronT120

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 09:07:52 AM »

Novabonker, you make it clear every time you post that you are on an anti-government campaign. You only bit$h and complain, you never suggest a constructive alternative.

I enjoy a good debate. I don't take politics that seriously, and I try to look at the forest rather than just the rotten trees....

Agreed.  The guy comes off as pretty irrational and is not open to discussion.  It's just rant, rant, rant.
I'd like to know what this fantastic business is of his, so that I can be sure not to give him my business.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »

For example, low corporate taxes means corporations will prefer to invest in this province, rather than in another province or in the U.S. When corporations invest in this province they create jobs in this province. This gives the citizens of this province jobs and the great lifestyle they enjoy.

--I think (ie not 100% sure) that USA based companies in Canada have to pay tax in USA.. based on the USA rate... that is the Canada tax is just a deduction thus if Canada tax is lower they just pay more to USA government rather than to Canada. Obviously know tax structure  is not that simple but essentially that is what happens

--Have seen how the Call Centres work... promise of jobs... city gives municipal tax reduction for 3 years to company with promise of secure jobs... tax break end... company jumps to next city or country... willing to give free ride.

--Kinda like low holing a guy on the river. 

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 01:09:05 PM »

--I think (ie not 100% sure) that USA based companies in Canada have to pay tax in USA.. based on the USA rate... that is the Canada tax is just a deduction thus if Canada tax is lower they just pay more to USA government rather than to Canada. Obviously know tax structure  is not that simple but essentially that is what happens

For a US company to operate in Canada they need to set up a separate company in Canada. Any profits that the Canadian company makes must pay taxes in Canada. The Canadian company can then move cash to the US company either through paying dividends or repaying loans.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »

Agreed.  The guy comes off as pretty irrational and is not open to discussion.  It's just rant, rant, rant.
I'd like to know what this fantastic business is of his, so that I can be sure not to give him my business

I'm an independent nomadic sheep herder, run a full time brain surgery clinic when I'm not flying people to Mars for summer holidays.;D As well as I'm a fellow at the Fraser Institute. I almost forgot about that.

While a one man boycott strikes terror in my heart and shakes me to the very center of my being, I do believe I'll recover if I can file for protection from creditors and refinance. :D
http://

CameronT120

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »

It's all right.  I've no use for carpet cleaners anyways.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 08:12:54 PM »

reread my posts- they're chock full of examples of government wasting billions- Olympics, billion dollar photo ops, from the top on down, there's to much cronyism and , well, blatant acts of wasteful spending, oputting business before the well being of the citizens. I implore you to read Turpel - Lafond's report that was issued this week.21 babies that died and many due to lack of effort by an uncaring party with really screwed up priorities and a ministry that is beyond messed up- I see no effort to remedy, just rhetoric in response.Read it. We're cutting funding to those that don't have choices, while we shovel tax breaks on an already low taxed system.
If one of your children was sick and desperately needed attention , would you take money and put in your RSP or buy medicine to make your child better? The present rulers see fit for the RSP option, hoping the fever goes away, instead of buying the antibiotics. But they run for cover or point fingers the other way instead of accepting things and trying to right them. This is just one example of government given too much power and an utter lack of accountability. You are wrong- I'm not on a an anti government campaign. I'm on an honest accountable for the people government campaign.
Here's a couple of thoughts on how to increase revenue - Give corporate tax incentives to companies that are tied to how they create new jobs,tied in for companies that use them to buy new equipment and build new plants here, not just because. Figure a way to waive sales tax to companies that sell BC manufactured products in BC.Creating incentive for BC business.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 08:26:47 PM »

It's all right.  I've no use for carpet cleaners anyways.

Perhaps a nice install instead? Funny fact - I placed lucky number 13 in the top 25 in my profession in North America, my first year in the top 25. If you get a stain, let me know as I can and would be pleased to help.  :-*

( Gee, where did you get my personal info? ::))
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:25:52 PM by Novabonker »

Burbot

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 02:15:45 AM »

Here's a global news article....  http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html?releasePID=XClESKcBnRvDjMI9Yob0TcQ0t4O8EJGO

Canwest-Gordo has no credibility at all, they are nothing but the propaganda arm of the BC Liberal party.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 05:31:21 AM »

The bank giveaway.....We all know banks aren't profitable are they? 100 plus million in tax breaks and 1600 less jobs ??? ??? ??? How can that be?
(Dontcha hate it when fact overcomes fiction? Darn that inconvinient truth!)

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2011/01/31/BankJob/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:15:25 AM by Novabonker »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »

--From the Tyee: so you don't have to read the whole article.....based on quote from Carole Taylor
"In the last 10 years in Canada, employment by the banks has risen by over 12 per cent across the country. In B.C., the employment growth in this sector was less than 3 per cent."

Today, three years after Taylor's historic move, have Canada's largest financial institutions begun "building their business in B.C.," as she suggested? As bank taxes went down, have their employment rolls gone up?

Well, no. B.C. actually lost more than 1,600 big bank positions last year, even as our financial behemoths continued to expand and concentrate their operations in the country's largest province, Ontario, and, increasingly, outside Canada.

--Lowered taxes like found money... they don't necessarily spend it where they found it.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 01:20:52 PM »

--From the Tyee: so you don't have to read the whole article.....based on quote from Carole Taylor
"In the last 10 years in Canada, employment by the banks has risen by over 12 per cent across the country. In B.C., the employment growth in this sector was less than 3 per cent."

Today, three years after Taylor's historic move, have Canada's largest financial institutions begun "building their business in B.C.," as she suggested? As bank taxes went down, have their employment rolls gone up?

Well, no. B.C. actually lost more than 1,600 big bank positions last year, even as our financial behemoths continued to expand and concentrate their operations in the country's largest province, Ontario, and, increasingly, outside Canada.

--Lowered taxes like found money... they don't necessarily spend it where they found it.

It's a result of banks centralizing their operations. Most businesses try to do this as it makes for more efficient operations. If you look into it further most of the job gains were at the head offices as a result of the banks putting more resources into wealth management (selling mutual funds) over the last 10 years. This requires analysts, traders etc. always located in a centralized location.

What Taylor did was lower corporate taxes for all corporations in BC. Suggesting that Banks are moving jobs out of BC inspite of the tax reduction is typical NDP political posturing.  It's a simplistic comment that takes information out of context in order to try and gain votes.

With a GDP growth of around 2% or less in BC, I'm sure the province is thrilled that the BC share of jobs in the Financial sector grew by 3%.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 04:27:36 PM »

There are a few folks that will never understand taxes no matter how simply it's explained. Perhaps it's because they only think with the left side of their brain....   ;D  and have very little understanding of economics.

For example, low corporate taxes means corporations will prefer to invest in this province, rather than in another province or in the U.S. When corporations invest in this province they create jobs in this province. This gives the citizens of this province jobs and the great lifestyle they enjoy.

Conclusion: While people may pay a little more in taxes, at least they have jobs. Compare this to being unemployed because their employer just moved out of the province due to the government raising corporate taxes.  ???

this topic reminds me so much of my college/university days and all the heated debates amongst students and faculty.

though you have some valid points, you failed to mention how the allocation of dollars from these taxes are distributed...also, how is it justified that when you buy (ie) a new car, you pay hst on it and if you resell it the new owner has to pay hst all over again for a product that have already been taxed? wouldn't you think that constitutes double dipping? the debate here is what exactly are you being taxed on, the product itself? or the privilege of pertaining ownership of the product (which would fall under the gst)?

also it's hard to compare provinces because of the differences in economic policies and structure...inflation, location, and living standards play a big part....obviously, in fairness to those who oppose the tax, corporations should operate on the same playing field as consumers and the general public... case in point as in Alberta where big companies enjoy tax breaks, but in turn consumers also benefit in the form of higher wages and a lower cost of living.

would you know exactly how much bc would benefit by giving big corporate names tax breaks where inflation increased 2%?  

my biggest beef with any tax is the lack of public access to information on how the funds are allocated and managed... it all comes down to trust....back in 2009 the bc government bragged about having a 50 million dollar surplus during a budget forecast...only to uncover an actual deficit of 1.4 billion dollars....don't believe everything you read, unless it's backed with concrete fact and evidence.

this is not to say i'm anti tax...i just believe in accountability, that's why i buy locally rather than cross border for the sake of saving a few bucks...but even there, you can't blame canadians for refusing to pay more for what they know is over priced to begin with.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:45:59 PM by blaydRnr »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 05:54:31 PM »

I don't like taxes any more than the next person. I think the difference between them and me is I would be content living in a small house, driving to work on a gravel road, living simply......

Most people wouldn't.....    so governments provide the stuff people want and tax us so they can pay for it. THey will and can tax us any way they can come up with hoping that we won't get mad enough to vote them out.

Of course the more stuff governments provide, the more people want. And when something goes wrong then there is always someone who will find all kinds of way of skewing facts and making up fiction to discredit the government....  That's when democracy kicks in and we all have an opportunity to provide our input on election day.

Not a perfect system but probably one of the best on the planet....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:56:49 PM by alwaysfishn »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 06:22:12 PM »

B.C. prepares for HST decision

Former Alberta finance minister Jim Dinning, now chancellor of the University of Calgary, is chairing a panel to compare B.C.'s old and new sales taxes before a referendum that could be held as early as June.
Black Press
By Tom Fletcher - BC Local News
Published: January 30, 2011 10:00 AM
Updated: January 30, 2011 11:01 AM
Jim Dinning admits that it's ironic for a former Alberta finance minister to be asked to weigh the merits of B.C.'s two choices for sales taxes.

But now out of politics and serving as chancellor of the University of Calgary, Dinning is chairing an independent review panel to compare the harmonized sales tax with B.C.'s former provincial sales tax before a referendum on the HST later this year.

Also named to the panel are former B.C. auditor-general George Morfitt, Simon Fraser University professor John Richards and Tracie Redies, CEO of Coast Capital Savings.

Their report is due April 1, and will make no recommendation on either the HST or the PST, Dinning told Black Press.

"Polling showed that people don't feel they have all the facts they need, and they're looking for an independent source rather than just the government information source," he said.

The Canadian Taxpayers' Federation is making a recommendation to voters: keep the HST and demand a lower rate to reflect the broader base of the new sales tax.

Gregory Thomas, the CTF's communications director for B.C., says voting "no" in the referendum would kill off the "63-year-old relic" of the PST. He argues that the federal government reduced the Goods and Services Tax from seven to five per cent, and B.C. could do the same.

"Here in B.C. the government could have introduced the HST at a lower rate," Thomas said. "Instead they chose to create an expensive and confusing rat's maze of exemptions, credits and loopholes for special interests, and pay for it by charging ordinary taxpayers an exorbitant seven-per-cent HST rate."

Thomas noted that if the HST rate were lowered, credits paid to a million low-income B.C. residents would also come down.

For special interests, he cited home builders, who benefit from HST credits and also successfully lobbied the province to raise the exemption for new home construction to $525,000. Resale housing is not subject to HST.

The B.C. government also launched a new website at www.hstinbc.ca to offer videos and answers to frequently asked questions about the change from PST to GST.

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?