Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sea Run Cutthroat Trout fly patterns  (Read 21423 times)

steve B

Sea Run Cutthroat Trout fly patterns
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:16:17 AM »

im looking for some good all around patterns for fishing the Stave, Harrison, Alouette, Coquitlam, Vedder/chilliwack rivers

joska

• Old Timer
Re: Sea Run Cutthroat Trout fly patterns
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:33:04 PM »

i am no pro at the bug slinging, but i have read lots that rolled muddlers work well...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

wizard

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 03:13:34 PM »

tied down minnow/epoxy minnow are classic cutthroat trout pattern.
anything resembling a forage fish such as sticklebacks or minnows should produce, especially in spring.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »

Try some attractors right now as well.  Red and yellows are excellent cuttie colours.  Don't forget that they are trout so take some nymphs too.  Do a search and you'll find quite a few easy to tie or easily bought flies.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/patterns5.html

mykisscrazy

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »

Clarki Hunter that web page you supplied is amazing. I have never seen, basically all 5 of my top 5 Sea run cuttie patterns in one place before!

One the Borden Special I only use in salt water. It was my go to pattern when I used to live on the Sunshine Coast. A local told me about it, showed me how to tie it and I've never looked back! The other's include the Rolled Muddler, Silver Bullet, Johnson's Beach Fly, and Knudson's Spider.

However for backwaters on the Fraser and the Tidal Fraser I have a few others that I use for Coastal Cutties.

These I use in the Tidal Fraser and it's backwaters.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:45:26 PM »

Whatever you are using, make sure to have some yellow worked in, especially if you are chasing sea runs.  I am sure that this is what makes the mickey finn and the professor so deadly.
Not all those who wander are lost

steve B

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:02:07 AM »

ya those two patterns come up alot the professor and the mickey finn so i will be slinging those on a nice 5 weight with an intermediate sink tip on the stave today gorgeous day today

keep them patterns coming I'm not the only one who benefits by this post

i see that red and yellow seem to be the two colors of choice but a little flash doesn't hurt either,  cutthroats i find are scrappy fighters they go nuts when you hook them just finding them i a task and a half

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 07:13:15 PM »

IMHO red is the key colour.  From imitating gills, injured fish, to straight up attractor I try and get some in any pattern I tie.  Just keep in mind that if it's a dark day or your going deep, goto the blues and greens as the red will show as a shade of grey if at all.  

Nice patterns mykiss.  They look very coho fishy too  ;D

Buggy patterns, regardless of what your trying to imitate can save the day when they're not so interested in your goto or fav patterns.  Smaller wooley buggers, wooley worms, soft hackles can work wonders. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:16:11 PM by Clarki Hunter »

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:55:04 PM »

These are a few patterns that I like to carry around when fishing for sea-runs.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »

Great looking box you got there Lucky.  I need to do more of a bulk tie instead of the 2-3 I do for the day.

Mykisscrazy:  I'm gonna borrow that chartreuse bait fish pattern from you.  I'll bet that's a good searcher.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:18:01 PM by Clarki Hunter »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 04:26:20 PM »

Great looking box you got there Lucky.  I need to do more of a bulk tie instead of the 2-3 I do for the day.

Mykisscrazy:  I'm gonna borrow that chartreuse bait fish pattern from you.  I'll bet that's a good searcher.

I dunno...
I like to stick with 4-5 patterns that I KNOW will work. I also have 1 searcher pattern picked out that I use for all beaches/streams that has worked well for me.
That said those 4 or 5 patterns might change with each system I fish, so the need to a bulky box come in.

Nuggy

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 05:22:12 PM »

stoneflies - check

Chironomids - check

Emergers - check

Various dries - check

Different size and colour nymphs - check

Boatman - check

Leeches - check

Gurglers - check

Flesh flies - check

Egg pattern - check

And all of the above mentioned patterns in the thread. Searun Cutthroat don`t always hammer a baitfish or attractor pattern and don`t automatically strike everything you throw at them so it`s a good idea to be able to match the hatch or try something completely different when your fly is being snubbed.

Cheers
Nuggy

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:45:17 PM by Nuggy »

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 07:13:29 PM »

I dunno...
I like to stick with 4-5 patterns that I KNOW will work. I also have 1 searcher pattern picked out that I use for all beaches/streams that has worked well for me.
That said those 4 or 5 patterns might change with each system I fish, so the need to a bulky box come in.

As Nuggy put it, its good to have lots of patterns just in case, especially on a new to you system.  However, I do find that the closer to the estuary you are the fewer patterns you need.  Clearly if you've got a system somewhat dialed then you could confidently carry a handful.

What I meant by bulk tie is to sit down and tie up a doz of each pattern in the sizes I need instead of a couple for the day. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 10:28:06 AM »

You don't need a lot of patterns. Carry fewer patterns in various sizes. What you carry should be tuned to the time of year to some extent.

Examples: Minnow or Baitfish:  Rolled muddler, Tied down Mylar minnow #6 to #10. You can throw in a regular muddler and that will work (all year)

Streamers: Mickey Finn - same sizes. You can throw in a Professor or a darker set of patterns like a March Brown wet, a Coachman or a silver brown (mostly in the fall)

Alevin: Egg & eye (winter only)

Nymphs: generalistic nymphs # 6 to #16 ie hare's ear, half back, prince nymph (best winter & early spring but all year)

Midges/Chironomids: griffiths gnat, TDC : these are usually very small #16 to #18. Trout love' em tho' (winter early spring)

Emergers:  any soft hackle #10 to #16

Dry Flies: Mayflies and stoneflies. Mays are in 2 sizes basically either a #10 (March Browns) or small like a #16. Adams, compara duns and various parachutes in browns and dark greys. Stones too are either tiny (#18) or larger (#10). A griffth gnat works for the small ones and any larger pattern like an elk hair caddis etc for the larger ones. (mostly winter to early spring)

after that  some wooly buggers, black and olive #8 & 10. A white or cream one works as a flesh fly.Im usually put a gold bead on 'em. (anytime)

Eggs: late fall early winter.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wizard

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 05:35:45 PM »

crayfish pattern might be something to look into as well.