Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: David Suzuki Foundation's Position On Salmon Farming  (Read 10504 times)

penn

Re: David Suzuki Foundation's Position On Salmon Farming
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »

This has suddenly become a very interesting thread to me.  Until now I was unaware about Pat Moore and have found what I have read so far to be refreshing.  Seems like a respectable fella.

I believe that Miss Morton is in a category of her own financially seeing she is the daughter of American trust fund baby billionaire Barbra Marx Hubbard, co-founder of "conscious evolution".    What she has to say in her videos is interesting and the comments that follow as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcbStlzYBkw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljzo1JuXSIc

And feel free to view other videos as well if the first two don't give you an impression, there are many.

I  would think that she(morton) is not doing it for the money and it looks like her and her mother would get along just fine.  

So that's Morton's mother ? Could it be Morton herself is of the same bent ? This is exactly why I have learned such a deep distrust of so many environmentalists as I have found there to be such a strong connection with the extremists of the movement with exactly that type of philosophy/religion . We don't speak the same language and unfortunately so many average people are so unaware of just who it is promoting the agenda and what the real agenda is . Of course there can never be peace or solutions found when the one side is into something entirely different from the main steam . Truth definitely becomes a casualty in such a war .

penn

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 07:24:56 PM »

Here is the angle that David Suzuki comes into this from:

http://www.pantheism.net/earth.htm

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »

Suggesting that the sanity of their parents or their spirituality negates the credit Morton and Suzuki deserve for protecting wild salmon and the environment is a stretch......   ::)

Isn't that called "Throwing out the baby with the bath water"
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 11:04:52 PM »

For some background info on Patrick Moore:

Go to itunes----goto podcasts-----search patrick moore------listen to tyee podcast  or:

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2010/03/26/PatrickMoore/

In this podcast Mr Moore tells of his journey to where he is now.  He also talks of his upbringing and what his father did.
Pretty interesting views.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:24:01 PM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

penn

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »

Suggesting that the sanity of their parents or their spirituality negates the credit Morton and Suzuki deserve for protecting wild salmon and the environment is a stretch......   ::)

Isn't that called "Throwing out the baby with the bath water"

You are quite right ... which is why I did not do that.
I was only asking aloud, considering her mother's 'far out in left field' philosophy , could it be , since she may have been raised by her mother and possibly be influenced by her mother , grown up with a similar beliefs . She very well may have rejected her mother's views but on the other hand she may have embraced them or something similar . Perhaps it would be something of interest to search .
 As for Suzuki , how much time has he spent on the Veddar himself studying our salmon species ? Just what makes him more of a 'expert' on them than you or me ? Is it because he chooses to wear a 'scientist' label ? I personally have spent much time on the Veddar , I'm thinking , probably far more time there than Suzuki , but he could just ride in on his tour bus and would be believed by many just because of his name on what he was to say on the system , even if he knows nothing about the river . Kinda like a pro athlete making an endorsement .
As for his spirituality , I point it out so it can be seen what his bias is . It's not necessarily one that seeks solutions that the general public may want . People should know all the facts.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »

Thanks for this interesting link gordc; finally people are starting to hear about "wild" Alaska salmon, the marketing croc they are, and their impact on BC's economy.   

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »

Thanks for this interesting link gordc; finally people are starting to hear about "wild" Alaska salmon, the marketing croc they are, and their impact on BC's economy.   

I appreciate the contribution that the Packard Foundation is making. I really don't care what their reasons are for contributing to the pro-Alaskan salmon campaign.

The more help we can get to make the farmed salmon industry more responsible and more accountable the better!

Thanks for the link gordc!   ;D

I'm going out on limb here when I suggest that Vivian is probably a little biased.  ???      "Vivian Krause, a Vancouver-based researcher who once worked in the salmon farming industry, is the keynote speaker today at the Scotia Pride Aquaculture conference in Halifax."
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

penn

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 07:40:23 PM »

So David Suzuki was paid $1.5 million by the Packard Foundation( an American Group )  to campaign against Canadian farmed salmon  and promote the sale of American farmed ,er ,  I mean ranch , salmon instead ? Alexandra Morton made some pretty good money in this too ?
More help is good , even if it is dishonest or corrupt help , right ?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »

So David Suzuki was paid $1.5 million by the Packard Foundation( an American Group )  to campaign against Canadian farmed salmon  and promote the sale of American farmed ,er ,  I mean ranch , salmon instead ? Alexandra Morton made some pretty good money in this too ?
More help is good , even if it is dishonest or corrupt help , right ?

The huge corporations that own the farms can well afford to defend what they are doing and appear to be doing it quite well. Imagine the carnage if the wild salmon had no sugar daddy's to help ensure their survival.

I think the expression "not be able to see the forest due to the trees" may apply. 

From my point of view I want to see the wild salmon protected and I could care less about the details of who steps up to help!

penn

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 05:25:20 AM »

Exactly how is Suzuki doing any good ?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 09:32:01 AM »

Exactly how is Suzuki doing any good ?

He is creating awareness of the harm being done to the environment.

Ordinary Joe's like me wouldn't even be aware of the problems being created by industry without his campaigns. I won't argue the fact that he may be over the top in some cases. However in order to be an effective communicator you need to shout sometimes.....

It's up to everyone to sift through it to determine the extent of the truth. I see it as a pendulum. He is on the opposite end of what most people are aware of and the truth is probably in the middle.

Caught any more steelies penn?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:34:27 AM by alwaysfishn »

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 10:18:53 AM »

It's obvioius that the Suzuki Foundation has a credibility problem with some but you can't deny the fact that many environmental issues are out in the open due to the foundation's work. In my opinion, that simple fact makes gives it creditbility in my book. In the case of Alex Morton, I fail to see what her financial standing has to do with her credibility. It would be very easy for her to live a comfortable life and not get involved by paddling down the Fraser in an attempt to make concerns about fish farming a public issue. The fact that some provincial politicians have openly attacked her personally as well as her cause makes me think she is right.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

penn

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »

Caught any more steelies penn?
Yes , how bout you ? Just got one yesterday after work .

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »

Yes , how bout you ? Just got one yesterday after work .

I got one today....  Apparently you were the guy that got one at the top of the run that I was fishing last night.  Congrats!