Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PCB's in our fish.  (Read 12410 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: PCB's in our fish.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »

I do not see the scientists warning us to eat beef or chicken only 1 time per month BUT they are saying DO NOT EAT farm salmon MORE than 1x per month.
??????
Many scientists have said the same.

Do remember a WHOLE page either in the Prov. or Sun newspapers maybe 10-14 yrs ago....
The findings were from UBC or SFU....they said the same at that time....the magic figure...EAT NO MORE THAN 1 FARMED SALMON PER MONTH.
But MSG in our foods (canned foods & MSG...comes under various other names to "trick us I guess) has been 100% PROVEN to weaken our HEARTS...it makes them "mushy"...thus ready for a heart attack. >:(

That is why some soup co. have advertised NO MSG in our soup.
Nitrates as mentioned...cancer producing.....(YES THE BACON TOO....) Ya chose your poison carefully as mentioned WELL PUT. :D

StillAqua

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »

But MSG in our foods (canned foods & MSG...comes under various other names to "trick us I guess) has been 100% PROVEN to weaken our HEARTS...it makes them "mushy"...thus ready for a heart attack. >:(

Huh? Glutamate is the most abundant naturally occurring amino acid in our food chain (MSG is just the sodium salt of the amino acid). Humans evolved specialized taste receptors that make glutamate a pleasant taste that we actually seek out in our food (think "meat"). There's no clinical data that glutamate is harmful at any reasonable level of consumption (but everything is toxic at high enough levels including water). The World Health Organization lists it as one of the safest food additives there is. It doesn't deserve the bad rap it's been getting for everything from rashes to impotence....you eat lots of it all the time without knowing it. Won't keep me from the Kung Pao Chicken.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »

StillAqua ....check out this on YOU TUBE ...type into their SEARCH BOX ... THE DANGERS OF MSG PART 3 MSG CANCER & YOUR HEART

HealthRanger7 loaded it to YOU TUBE.
Studies show MSG puts alot of FREE RADICALS into our body....weakens our blood vessels & linings of the heart etc...
One chap said his heart got like "jello" mushy after eating a meal with alot of MSG.
One scientist also called MSG a "CANCER FERTILIZER" in this YOU TUBE vid.

Also if ya do a web surf on say "The Dangers of MSG" ya will get ALOT of negative info....about this food additive.
But the info in that top YOU TUBE vid....is quite an EYE OPENNER to say the least.
Just while I'm at it aspertame(sp?) is also a bad sweeter.............................the list keeps getting LLLLLOOOONNNNGGGGGEEEERRRR longer....................... ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:51:35 PM by A-BOATER »

StillAqua

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 08:51:24 PM »

Also if ya do a web surf on say "The Dangers of MSG" ya will get ALOT of negative info....about this food additive.
But the info in that top YOU TUBE vid....is quite an EYE OPENNER to say the least.

It's true you can find just about anything on the web........but I have to tell you that over 50 years of scientific research has failed to find any significant negative health affects from an amino acid that our bodies need and that we consume regularly in large quantities. Let's just agree to disagree......and you'll want to stay away from the parmesan cheese and worcestershire sauce. :'(

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 09:14:02 PM »

I get your point even though I don't agree with it....   Take a look at the following video.

I guess we could say "......... eating our PCB laden farmed salmon is not as bad for your health as eating these basa fish..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1nEPzsFpc0

As I was saying before, there are places in the world which are more contaminated than others.  The safe consumption of seafood in one place may not necessarily be comparable to another place.  However, what contaminants are being referred to with the fish in the video and what are their concentrations?  How do they compared to Health Canada and US Food and Drug Administration guidelines?  Once again....how "high" is high?  Just because someone says there are contaminants that are carcinogenic is meaningless unless you put some context around it.  Many things are known carcinogens and many things that we think of relatively benign can be potentially deadly when taken in high enough concentrations.  The wild fish you are eating right now likely contains trace amounts of elements like mercury or some other element which in larger concentrations can be harmful.  The internet contains a myrid of videos which will likely show what they want the viewer to see and what they do not want the viewer to see.  I do not imagine the FDA or CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) rips open every box of Basa fillets and test them, but I certainly do not believe they would allow fish from abroad that were not safe to eat.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »

I do not see the scientists warning us to eat beef or chicken only 1 time per month BUT they are saying DO NOT EAT farm salmon MORE than 1x per month.
??????
Many scientists have said the same.

Do remember a WHOLE page either in the Prov. or Sun newspapers maybe 10-14 yrs ago....
The findings were from UBC or SFU....they said the same at that time....the magic figure...EAT NO MORE THAN 1 FARMED SALMON PER MONTH.

That is why some soup co. have advertised NO MSG in our soup.
Nitrates as mentioned...cancer producing.....(YES THE BACON TOO....) Ya chose your poison carefully as mentioned WELL PUT. :D
Who are these scientists?  The PCB and farmed fish thing received quite a bit of attention whereas beef has been put in a different spotlight (i.e. madcow).  What concentrations  of PCBs were they getting from these farmed salmon?

Little do you know you have likely been living on the edge with your eating habits if you are now concerned about MSG now....lol.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 11:41:23 PM »

Heart attacks...clogged arteries....cancers.....Type 1 & 2 diabetics....

We have to start to take our head out of the sand.

I'm gong to eat my celery everyday (lowers blood pressure)...steamed chicken...whole wheat spagetti...Paul Newman spagetti sauce...apple (spartan)...raw garlic....extra lean hamburger....curry prevent altimers (sp?)....salids/carrots ..vegs etc.....

Do have 2 glasses of milk & low fat cheese 2x wk.... 1-2 bottles of red wine (bad for the liver I guess...red wine good for other things though)...Ya can take MILK THISTLE caps  daily ....does not cost alot...buy at any vitamin section...even in Safeway vitamin area.... MILK THISTLE is 100% proven to aid ones liver !!!  In Germany if a person eats a poision mushrm by mistake ,,,the emergency staff give the person MILK THISTLE immeadiately.
Have to admit I buy a 7-11 hot dog sometimes....bring it home & stick on tons of yellow mustard raw white onions...becel margerine.....green lettece...low fat mayo ...low fat cheese slice......& show down...CHOW DOWN. ;D
BEFORE I EAT IT ... tell my body THIS IS A TEST....

But another good product is bran ceral (4 tablespoons with milk) ...Kelloggs ...the bran will absord alot of the toxic stuff from the body.....................& lots of water..............(even take a cupful direct from the Fraser R .............."JUST JOKING")  ;D
Follow the above & NO FARM SALMON NO MSG NO PCBS NO SUGAR...NO BAD FATS......ETC...EXERCISE REST...(LISTEN TO Elvis songs or as Hulk Hogan said eat your vitamins & say your prayers.....YES YA WILL LIVE TO 100 YRS OLD !!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:44:04 PM by A-BOATER »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 01:12:14 AM »

My aunt used to believe every single so called research that showed up on news media.  Now a days that have changed.  She has read so many of them and starting to realize many have conflicting results.

Like my 92 yrs old grandmother said.  Too much of anything is bad.  A balanced meal, a routine exercise and keeping a positive and happy attitude is the key to healthy life.  The so called scientific research is only as reliable as it's sample size and the parameter set out by the researcher.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 07:33:40 AM »

The 7-11 hoagie was scary. :o
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 12:56:27 PM »

Yes it is SCARY ....to eat that "dog" ..........sometimes a person is led by EMOTION instead of INTELLECT.... :D :D :D

ps ya can eat 4 fried eggs or more daily ...but just use the white (not the yellows..too fat)
Also a Green frying pan ...has a good non stick coating that will not go into the food.
The older non stick fry pans coatings ...leach into the food ...........something like the bad plastic water bottles etc...
The list just gets LLLLLLLLOOOOOONNNNNGGGGEERR "longer".