Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish ID?  (Read 20136 times)

alan701

Re: Fish ID?
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »

If these "difficult" fish aren't used more often that just means that you will never get better at correctly identifying fish. I think it would useful to have a more frequent test on the forum as many replys are wrong. However that is obviously completely up to the admins as people always want a prize or something. Would be neat if each time you correctly identified a fish from the mystery fish you got some sort of rank near your name as that could be a way to show that your a knowledgeable angler on the forum. I'd rather have a badge than the chance of maybe winning a prize lol

for sure. I would learn a lot if they were on the test. And if you know your fish, you would have a higher chance of winning since most answers would be wrong but yea you will probably never see it again.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:41:08 PM by alan701 »

floatfisher

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2012, 11:57:59 AM »

I dont thinl that would be very fair because there is obviously not very many coho that look like that with full spOtted tails.

So I guess it would also be unfair for you to get a fine from a CO if you killed a wild coho thinking it was a chinook?

cohoaaron

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »

Ya thats true i would just release if i wasnt sure though

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 12:25:02 PM »

Spots on tails, gum and body colours and head shapes are all good first glance indicators of species and should be all that is needed for identification but won't always be 100% accurate.  As an example I have seen spots on the lower caudal on a few coho, especially wild fish, and also spots on the bodies and tails of sockeye.  It does happen but not very often.
If you are fishing the Vedder and can't tell if the fish you have just landed is a coho or chinook after eliminating all the fish it can't be and using all the other indicators, get a little bit of the slime on your fingers and breathe deep :D  white chinooks, the stock most common in that system, generally have an unpleasant odour.

wizard

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2012, 01:18:01 PM »

These imo are definitely ho's and they are obviously in the system right now in decent numbers.
Caught one of these yesterday in the lower on a spinner as well, these fish seem to fight really lethargically, but hey a coho is a coho....I think the pronounced spotting is what throws people off.?  I wonder how many of these have been caught by people thinking they caught a wild steelie
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:19:45 PM by wizard »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 02:36:21 PM »

If you are fishing the Vedder and can't tell if the fish you have just landed is a coho or chinook after eliminating all the fish it can't be and using all the other indicators, get a little bit of the slime on your fingers and breathe deep :D  white chinooks, the stock most common in that system, generally have an unpleasant odour.

ROTFLMAO! :D :D :D
you kill me, dude.

In my experience, you can smell it from just tailing it.

jeff

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 04:59:25 PM »

Agreed Milo  ;D
Enjoying the water..........

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »

Spots on tails, gum and body colours and head shapes are all good first glance indicators of species and should be all that is needed for identification but won't always be 100% accurate.  As an example I have seen spots on the lower caudal on a few coho, especially wild fish, and also spots on the bodies and tails of sockeye.  It does happen but not very often.

Another reason why trying to id a fish from a photo is a challenge, as you cannot always see the various features you may want to use (anal fin rays for example, or a clear view of the gums, tongue, etc).  You should always use at least 3 features to positively id a fish before killing it, therefore do not be put off if you get the id wrong from a photo contest.
Not all those who wander are lost