Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urgent Letter Writing Needed for Help Save Kokish River Steelhead  (Read 2888 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics

Hi Guys and Gals,

I received notice of a public comment period for another IPP Project that is some of the worst proposed destruction of salmon and Steelhead habitat yet in this province...

We have until November 18th to leave a comment on this site:

http://www.eao.gov.bc.ca/public_comment_periods/comment_forms/kokish_form.html

For more info, I have put a link on the Steelhead Society of BC website so you can see the affected area, and send around this information to your conservation minded friends.

http://www.steelheadsociety.org/node/45

The summer runs thank you,

Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: Urgent Letter Writing Needed for Help Save Kokish River Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:13:48 PM »

I have dug around in the gov. website and scanned through some project documents.   There are voluminous professional studies of impacts on the environment and fish including details like specific % change in spawing habitat and on and on.   It seems to me from my brief review that the impact on migration of summer steelhead due de-watering of the stream where it is bypassed by the penstock got only superficial mention.   From the studies it appears that all the issues have been investigated and that might be good enough for approval, never mind that the studies found negative impacts.

The really scary part is that this may be the most significant dam on a coastal salmon stream in decades unless some of the new ones up Toba inlet I don't know about sit on migration streams.   If this one gets gets approved it will be open season on our streams!

D.Sams

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:54:33 PM »

No kidding, this is terrifying.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:21:42 PM »

alright, I have finally gotten to posting, here it is, in case you need some ideas - feel free to use whatever you like.

-----------------------------------------------------

I am disturbed to discover that the Kokish River is being considered for damming and rerouting by Brookfield Power. Never before have we seen such a large amount of habitat on the slate for destruction, 10kms worth in total.

I have fished this river for summer run steelhead in the very area that would be diverted into a penstock; the fish use the canyon area as holding water during the summer months, as the deep pools and lower water temperatures facilitate long term survival.

The canyon area also provides premium Parr habitat, as outlined by your own biologists on the Greater Georgia Basin Steelhead Recovery Plan website.

Here is an excerpt from the Greater Georgia Basin Steelhead Recovery Plan Website, profile on the Kokish River (www.bccf.com):

"High quality parr habitat in boulder-cascades from Ida Lake downstream to tidewater. Good parr densities observed in snorkel surveys of 1995 and 1998 in canyon reach.
NOTES: Non-mitigable impacts expected if independent power production was to proceed as has been proposed several times in the past."

If this project were to proceed, there would be non reversible impacts to the steelhead stocks in this system, one that has been hit hard by the population crashes seen in the 1990's.

Yet despite the low populations, the fish remain. These fish should be protected from any risks, both returning adults who over winter in the system, and juveniles who live in that section of river for a year before going out to sea.

Why further jeopardize an indigenous species that holds such high fisheries values to British Columbians, and risk the loss of critical biodiversity in this area?

Not only would it be ethically reprehensible to allow such a project to proceed, but you would be letting down the very individuals that you are employed to protect.

Listen to the research that your fellow biologists have completed, and say no to this project.

Stop this madness brought on by Gordon Campbell once and for all.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:32:14 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

sim

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 04:36:17 PM »

thanks for your answer, still don't know how to post something on the forum.
I'll let you know about the fishing!
Simon
like catching, love releasing